Add Anime Type "Not Anime" [DONE somewhat]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

egg

Add Anime Type "Not Anime" [DONE somewhat]

Post by egg »

There are many animes that have been added to AniDB, but are not appropriate for AniDB. Traditionally the method for dealing with these is to Delete the record. I would recommend that rather than deleting the record that a type be created called, "Not Anime". This type should only be selectable by a mod. This type would LOCK the record so that users cannot vote, add eps, ... Only a mod could modify the record.

This serves as a permanent record that the show is not appropriate for the database AND prevent users from recreating it.

If this idea is appropriate, then currently (before the new type is added) a mod could do the following:
1) Set the type to other
2) Remove the end date and/or set the number of eps to 0 (This would prevent permanent votes)
3) Put a note in the description, saying why it is not an anime.
4) Delete all the files and eps

I don't think that it would have a large impact on the database.
1) The size of the records for the anime and the titles won't be that much.
2) For performance, most places in the interface can explicitely exclude animes of that type.
3) A user preference can be added to hide non-animes if there get to be a lot of them and they clutter the searches.
4) A maintenance program can delete other associated records of non-animes that the mods can't (votes...).

[Please do not list particular anime in this topic. This is meant to determine how to handle the ones that are not allowed rather than WHICH ones should or should not be in the database.]

DonGato, I will add this to the tracker in a bit.
Elias

Post by Elias »

Leaving instead of deleting?
So if i add Titanic, Star Wars, Spider-man, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter ... and hundreds of other titles, they will stay in anidb forever?
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Gawd...

Somebody hand me the 100t Hammer. Fling him with figs. Where is the fig-catapult when you need it?

Elias, to answer your really moronic question: NO those entries would be _deleted_, because nobody actually would be that DUMB to think that BOGUS entries like STAR WARS would be in any way considered Anime.

Egg started this request because of previous entries to AniDB that were bordlerine which are, by certain amounts of people, considered Anime, while actually NOT being Anime. Like "The Last Unicorn". The way egg described it those entries would stay in the DB to actually stop the perpetual re-adding of those borderline cases into AniDB and afterwards deleting by the admins.

Which would possibly not stop users from discussing it over and over again, why then "The Last Unicorn" would be labeled "Not Anime" but we'd finally be ridden of the continuous popping up of those entries after they were just deleted.
kidan

Post by kidan »

I think the "not-anime" description-text should state, why a title is NO anime, so that users wont start threads here like: "Why is xxxxx no anime?"
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

How about just a forum sticky with a list? That way mods will know instanta-delete titles, and will be less redundant stuff in the db. As I'm sure people would add the titles under slightly different names anyway, seems easist option to me.

Rar
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Proposed method is more effective - mods don't have to delete things again and again - users just can't add such entries again.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

r13 style reply:

Yes they can.
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

That's R[SR13]. :P

Yes, they still can add copies by altering name, but it will harder. And after all, all variants could be baned too.
Elias

Post by Elias »

It will only prevent from adding titles with exactly the same name as added once before and deleted. Adding the same with more or less changed title or adding another things they maybe looks like animes, but are not animes will not be affected. Big red link on 'add anime' page to topic with description what titles should not be added to aniDB and examples of such no-no titles may be enough.
egg

Post by egg »

Rar wrote:How about just a forum sticky with a list? That way mods will know instanta-delete titles, and will be less redundant stuff in the db. As I'm sure people would add the titles under slightly different names anyway, seems easist option to me.
It makes more overhead for the mods if they have to keep deleting the same things. Also, with a sticky list someone would have to maintain it.
Elias wrote:It will only prevent from adding titles with exactly the same name as added once before and deleted. Adding the same with more or less changed title or adding another things they maybe looks like animes, but are not animes will not be affected. Big red link on 'add anime' page to topic with description what titles should not be added to aniDB and examples of such no-no titles may be enough.
True, if people change the name, then that would not stop it, but most anime have only a few common synonyms, and these should be added as alternate titles to prevent future problems. If someone is maliciously changing the names they would need to be dealt with in other ways and could cause trouble without the change as well.

Work is being done on a "What is an Anime?" which would be linked from the page, but realistically most people will not read this. Also, even with the guidelines, there are a few shows that are questionable and rather than having users ask repeatably, this would make a record of the decision for anyone who doesn't look at the forums.