Official Filenames for ED2K links [DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

DWKnight

Official Filenames for ED2K links [DENIED]

Post by DWKnight »

Requesting feature:
Option to override AniDB generated name with group's official filenames in ED2K links.

When a group has an official filename, they typically have a reason (or in the case of the group I work with, more than 1 reason) for their filenames.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

First, that would lead to different nameing schemes all over AniDB. Second, and more importantly, when a file is moved to a different episode or even anime, the filename isn't updated properly and there's way to tell whether such an "official" name is actually correct. And third, it might even be dangerous - some newbies might be adding files with fraudulent names.
DWKnight

Post by DWKnight »

And if we don't have this option we might have groups spending 30-45 minutes trying to get people to rename the files to match their official list (which I had to do this morning), then end up having to force them to RE DOWNLOAD the entire series in order for us to verify the download.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

DWKnight wrote:And if we don't have this option we might have groups spending 30-45 minutes trying to get people to rename the files to match their official list (which I had to do this morning), then end up having to force them to RE DOWNLOAD the entire series in order for us to verify the download.
why would they have to do that?
after all it doesn't really matter how the files are named as long as they can be identified.

BYe!
EXP
ElNipp
AniDB Staff

Post by ElNipp »

They are smart enough to know how to use anidb, but need 30-45 minutes to rename a file? Sorry, but I don't believe that.
DWKnight

Post by DWKnight »

Most SFV checking utilities don't work with names that differ from the .sfv file
after all it doesn't really matter how the files are named as long as they can be identified.
Batch torrents don't work without renaming to match so it's not that simple.

You don't believe it takes 30 minutes to rename? It does when the numbering of episodes for thier files is mixed between japanese TV and R1 DVD numbering. I have the log of the time I spent this morning working with someone who had a partial download of a series via ED2K and another part via IRC. It's not exactly easy to deal with.

And it won't happen again. I just checked with the A4E staff and we will no longer provide ANY support for files that have unofficial filenames.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

:lol:

This is amusing. If someone changed a letter in the name you're lost and you ask the user to redownload the file?! Damn! And I thought hashes and CRCs were done for something. I must have been wrong all this time and all that matters was the name of the file.
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

DWKnight wrote:And it won't happen again. I just checked with the A4E staff and we will no longer provide ANY support for files that have unofficial filenames.
well the problem's solved then... :P

about official filenames... let's take the fansub groups for example... they have one filename in BT... then there are 3-5 different names of the same episode on xdcc bots.. which of them would you consider 'official'? all of them?

But I guess it remains in the borders of DVD-rip groups who use .sfv's and release stuff in batches yet I still think it's kinda ridiculous that ppl come complaining about this issue... how many inviduals have already complained about it btw? just that one from the morning?
DWKnight

Post by DWKnight »

I only know for sure about the time I've been at my computer. I would have to check over ~6mo of logs to verify. All it takes is 1 person to ruin things for everyone.

Our IRC patchbots REFUSE to work with renamed files. BitTorrent for single files is fine, since it checks the file you specify for the internal hash information. BitTorrent for multiple files happens much the same way as the patchbots. Windows actually works slightly better here since filenames in it aren't case sensitive.

I come here, asking relatively politely (compared to the flamewar I could have started my original posts out with) for some changes, giving valid reasons for the changes, and all I'm getting is resistence and flames. Not very encouraging.
Ultima
AniDB Staff

Post by Ultima »

Nope, you are voicing a valid concern, but if it's just renaming files, it's just up to the user. The md5, crc, ed2k is still the same. I don't see the trouble in renaming files. Like many have stated before, everyone has their own naming schemes. You can right click file details in an ed2k client and you can see the vast amount of variations for any given file. Heck, the file could be even be gravely misnamed and the file can still be downloaded.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I don't think they are valid reasons to start from. You should develop better tools for your group or let the task of doing the rename to the users.

Just providing an SFV file with the proper names and CRCs it's enough for the user to check the name given by your group to the file.
DWKnight

Post by DWKnight »

DonGato wrote:I don't think they are valid reasons to start from. You should develop better tools for your group or let the task of doing the rename to the users.

Just providing an SFV file with the proper names and CRCs it's enough for the user to check the name given by your group to the file.
You don't think that having people (either deliberately or not) break over 66% of our tools to support them in case of damage is a valid reason?

Judging from the posts so far, nothing is going to change on anidb out of this concern raised. I guess this was a COMPLETE waste of time.
Ultima
AniDB Staff

Post by Ultima »

That's too bad you believe this is a "COMPLETE waste of time". You've acknowledged an inconvinience for your group, but fail to realize that this isn't a major problem. An example of a dire concern could be perhaps be that AniDB continously provides inaccurate data about a4e's files. Simple renaming is easily handled and understood by users if they are educated. Like Dongato said, "Just providing an SFV file with the proper names and CRCs it's enough for the user to check the name given by your group to the file." A4E provides an official sfv for most (if not all releases), so I don't get what the big problem is. I've renamed countless files before, and it's rather painless. Plus, I didn't need to resort to complaining to an op ;) If a file is not named properly then there's no way most patching applications will work, nor will resuming the transfer of a file. Simple logic.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

DWKnight wrote:You don't think that having people (either deliberately or not) break over 66% of our tools to support them in case of damage is a valid reason?
well, the point is simply that adding special filenames to anidb seems like total overkill compared to telling the users to hash their files and rename them by hash. And if they're unable to do that themselves it should be pretty easy to write a utility for that.

BYe!
EXP
DWKnight

Post by DWKnight »

I came here with valid concerns and got flamed for bringing them up, with no indication that the concerns were going to be acted on at all. How exactly is that not a waste of time?

I must also point out that the series that tipped me off to this difference in filenames has a different episode numbering between R1 DVDs and the Japanese air order. Straight up renaming won't work for that series since a4e uses R1 DVD order and anidb uses japanese air order.
well, the point is simply that adding special filenames to anidb seems like total overkill compared to telling the users to hash their files and rename them by hash. And if they're unable to do that themselves it should be pretty easy to write a utility for that.
And watch as corrupt files prevent a rename by hash from working.

At this point I feel that further discussion is pointless, since all the changes that are going to be made have been (a4e no longer supports files with unofficial filenames AT ALL, not even to rename them to official names) and anything further will probably classify under flamewar. If there is nothing else constructive to be said, please lock this thread.