entry and icon for # of audio channels [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

entry and icon for # of audio channels [DONE]

Post by Der Idiot »

I find myself often looking for things with 5.1 sound, but thats kinda hard atm, because there is no real indication how many channels an anime has. And assuming by codec (ac3, aac) is at least half of the time wrong.
atm I'm using the desciptionfield to add the # of channels, but thats not a very nice way of doing it and so far I think I'm the only one doing that :(

there could be 3 states for this entry:
- mono (1ch)
- stereo (2ch)
- 5.1 (6ch)

mono could be left out, but imho this would be a nice addition.
for stereo no icon is needed imho.
Last edited by Der Idiot on Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Mmm... IMO we only want to know when a file is multichannel. Because a good encode can have mono and an awesome sound and a bad one even while being stereo can have an awful sound.

I made some time ago an icon for audio that wasn't used at AniDB. I added now the multi-channel text and I think can be used as a true/false value for files.

imokie

Post by imokie »

Perhaps the more or less 'official' icons could be used, like those in the picture below:

DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Image Image Image Image

But I still think it's too much info. :P
Elandal

Post by Elandal »

I don't think Dolby Surround logo is really needed. It's unlikely that whoever adds the files even knows if it's Dolby Surround/Pro Logic/Pro Logic II, as those all are matrix-mixes on stereo track. Also, even if the original was a surround mix, transcoding might have destroyed it (no, transcoding doesn't automatically destroy surround mix, but there is no guarantee that the surround mix survived whatever transcoding was done).

So, 1/0, 2/0, and 5.1 are the useful ones. I don't think there are many 6.1 or 7.1 tracks around really.

In addition to knowing that something is 5.1, it would be interesting to know if it's DD or DTS. If it isn't, most people who watch the eps using home theatre system will have to downmix to stereo and thus it's no better than a good 2/0 surround mix [depending on decoder doing downmix - might be Pro Logic]. Yes, there's experimental realtime AC3 encoding option in an ac3filter test version, but that only helps if it won't crash on you. And even in such case, the track suffered two transcodings.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

*bump*
>D
at least gimme a status: ontodo, denied :/
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Me still want this too.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

AnimeOtaku

Post by AnimeOtaku »

But we should also include: (for future releases)

suppy

Post by suppy »

Elandal wrote:So, 1/0, 2/0, and 5.1 are the useful ones. I don't think there are many 6.1 or 7.1 tracks around really.
while there may not be many around right now ... there most likely will be in the future.

so therefore I agree with
AnimeOtaku wrote:But we should also include: (for future releases)

... limiting ourselves will just cause more work in the future, when we realize that it is infact needed. And I'm pretty certain it will be needed.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

I contest whether it's useful information. I'd prefer to have mono/stereo/surround. You can keep adding channels forever, it's still just 'surround sound' though.

Rar
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I'm of the same opinion of Rar.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

although some ppl might be fanatic enough about audio to be ready to die for a real 7.1 version, so maybe that level of detail would have some use to some ppl after all :P

BYe!
EXP
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

hey if you're willing to code it in, go ahead :P