No group notification for files with deleted status [closed]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

analogued

No group notification for files with deleted status [closed]

Post by analogued »

I think that files which are marked deleted shouldn't be considered for group notifications. I usually mark a file as deleted when I've seen it, deleted it and I'm no longer interested in it or other files from that group.... Of course, other people might have different criteria for marking a file deleted.

Let's say you download a few first episodes of an anime from different groups to see how the quality is and you finally decide on a group and delete the other files and mark them as deleted while setting the group notification option. Or maybe you download a few trailers from a few groups and delete them and you don't want to be notified when all of those groups release a file for that anime.

Oppinions?
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well,

I see your point, however, consider a user who might be low on diskspace and always deletes each single ep right after watching it.
Your feature request would make the group-notification option more or less useless for such a user.

BYe!
EXP
analogued

Post by analogued »

exp wrote:well,

I see your point, however, consider a user who might be low on diskspace and always deletes each single ep right after watching it.
Your feature request would make the group-notification option more or less useless for such a user.

BYe!
EXP
You're right.. I knew that... that's why I said:
analogued wrote:Of course, other people might have different criteria for marking a file deleted.
The question is .... how many people do that versus how many people do what I usually do? If I have to delete episodes from an anime I'm following I at least wait until I have seen all the episodes.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

I strongly second this. In the past I got lots of notifications for groups that I already dropped - I don't know whether this is still present, maybe I am non-knowingly working around it already or simply am collecting too many series at the moment ;-)

Additionally I don't need any more notifications for files by "no group". I did not get notifications for non-group files for animes for a long time so I'd have to guess that this has been disabled (back then I got a message every time there was a new non-group file for Inu Yasha).

summary:
- I think nobody should be notified if a file by "no-group" is added.
- There should be an option to disable notification for files by a deleted group
pelican
AniDB Staff

Re: No notification (group) for files that have deleted stat

Post by pelican »

analogued wrote:I think that files which are marked deleted shouldn't be considered for group notifications. I usually mark a file as deleted when I've seen it, deleted it and I'm no longer interested in it or other files from that group.... Of course, other people might have different criteria for marking a file deleted.
Well, I mark a file as deleted if I've deleted it (from all digital storage). I basically never keep ongoing anime, and this applies doubly so to raws; some series are also just not worth keeping, in my eyes, but I wouldn't like that to affect notification so directly. Marking which groups have released and which episodes... and versions the files in the notification are of would probably be the least complicated solution to this problem.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

pelican wrote:Marking which groups have released and which episodes... and versions the files in the notification are of would probably be the least complicated solution to this problem.
erm, could you rephrase that?

BYe!
EXP
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Seems he already rejuvenated the english grammar as well to make it slicker and faster *snicker*
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

exp wrote:
pelican wrote:Marking which groups have released and which episodes... and versions the files in the notification are of would probably be the least complicated solution to this problem.
erm, could you rephrase that?
Sorry, I may have been a bit scatterbrained when I wrote that: in the notifications popup, I'd like to see a list of groups, with the new episodes and versions thereof under each. With this, it would be easy to tell at a glance if the update is of interest or not.

For example:

Code: Select all

Tsuki wa Higashi ni Hi wa Nishi ni -Operation Sanctuary-
        l33t-raws: 10
        Static Subs: 9, 8v2
        Ayu: 8
(I sorted by the latest episode in the update for each group, descending. This update is fictional, but might resemble reality somewhat in the unlikely circumstance of someone selecting `notify all' for hanihani.)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

hmm,

the way notifications are currently implemented this is not possible.
it would require some major changes which would also increase the server load.
i am not sure if it would really be worth all that.

BYe!
EXP
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

exp wrote:the way notifications are currently implemented this is not possible.
it would require some major changes which would also increase the server load.
Obviously if it really can't be done without further overloading the server it shouldn't be done, and there are other things that are of greater importance right now, but this is not such a heavy feature in principle. If it would be hard to modify the current implementation of notifications to take care of it efficiently, a new such system can be written; this would also allow the request for a notification history to be dealt with.