[Anime Hint] - Feature Requests

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Elias

Post by Elias »

For me two multi-select lists looks as simplest, but with enough filter power.
But for filtering hentai i would add additional checkbox, because this will be most used and should be easier available. And additionally check in user profile 'Show Hentai (Adult Content)' option. If this option isn't set than filtering hentais in hint should be set automatically to on and be unable to switch off (grayed checkbox or only description about it).
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

I'd like to second filtering by release year (as a range, with one, two or no bounds)... in fact, by both end and start date, preferably, and add a suggestion to filter by episode count. (To select short or long series, primarily.)
egg

Post by egg »

Elias wrote:For me two multi-select lists looks as simplest, but with enough filter power.
But for filtering hentai i would add additional checkbox, because this will be most used and should be easier available. And additionally check in user profile 'Show Hentai (Adult Content)' option. If this option isn't set than filtering hentais in hint should be set automatically to on and be unable to switch off (grayed checkbox or only description about it).
It will be multi-select lists. I had some technical difficulties, but it is coming along. Hentai will be filtered by default, but the user will be able to turn it off if they choose.
pelican wrote:I'd like to second filtering by release year (as a range, with one, two or no bounds)... in fact, by both end and start date, preferably, and add a suggestion to filter by episode count. (To select short or long series, primarily.)
Noted.
egg

Post by egg »

OK, I am putting the finishing touches on the next version of the hint. If you want a sneak preview of what the features will be, you can go to my temporary page: How does Anime Hint work?.

Please let me know if you have any comments.
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

egg wrote:Please let me know if you have any comments.
I have to admit that I skipped reading the text (mainly because I read your last explanations already).

The images, however, make me want to request a way to store a hint-profile, so that the custom filters don't have to be set again all the time (at least one - maybe "just" by remembering the last settings used without any extra load/save facilities).
Snakes

Post by Snakes »

Egg, it sounds like youve started to get the hang of the hint code, Im looking forward for the new system and I bet Im gonna like it, and us it alot..

Keep up the good work! :mrgreen:
egg

Post by egg »

Well, the new hint is up and working (mostly, there is one known bug). What do people think, does it work any better than the previous hint?

My main focus for the next release is to clean up the interface a little bit. Does anyone have any suggestions? The way it is now, after you get the hint, you just get a face full of settings. I tried putting the form at the bottom, below the results, but I'm not sure I am happy with that either...
egg

Post by egg »

wahaha wrote:I have to admit that I skipped reading the text (mainly because I read your last explanations already).
Yeah, I don't want to read it anymore either. :wink:
wahaha wrote:The images, however, make me want to request a way to store a hint-profile, so that the custom filters don't have to be set again all the time (at least one - maybe "just" by remembering the last settings used without any extra load/save facilities).
I guess I could store it in a cookie. My focus has been to make it better hint, but I will probably be adding even more settings, and it would be nice if it was stored. I'll add it to the list.
Elias

Post by Elias »

egg wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions?
I would reduce 'avg. scale' field into list of only 2 values (little less numbers to tweak):
0 - (for old style hint, 'avg. adj.' is not usable - will be reduced to 0)
1 (or 0.5) - ('adv. adj.' field is then usable)
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

egg wrote:Well, the new hint is up and working (mostly, there is one known bug). What do people think, does it work any better than the previous hint?
Not particularly, although the new filters will occasionally be useful (even though not all of those suggested have been implemented and the form is already overweight); as long as the old system for deciding the weight of a user's opinion on the hints is in place, the accuracy can't really improve.
egg

Post by egg »

Elias wrote:I would reduce 'avg. scale' field into list of only 2 values (little less numbers to tweak):
0 - (for old style hint, 'avg. adj.' is not usable - will be reduced to 0)
1 (or 0.5) - ('adv. adj.' field is then usable)
I don't think that there would be any benefit to this... If I had just added this feature, it probably would have been like this, but since the avg. scale was already introduced as a decimal, I can see it's benefits and I think it should remain as it is. If I made it a drop down, it won't take up any less room, it would just limit functionality.
Andemon

Post by Andemon »

Accurate enough, I'd say.
I tested it by using various options and recommendations for animes that I've already watched. The recommender was ~80% accurate with most settings, with best accuracy reached when I set the min. weight to very low value. Also, surprisingly, setting the rec. vote to higher than default value lowered the accuracy along with matching users -- in both cases, seems like more users equals more accuracy...
e-Viper

Post by e-Viper »

Seems pogic that the auto-filtering of hentai should be dependant of the flag in the profile. So every person can choose what he/she wants
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

what's "pogic"?
e-Viper

Post by e-Viper »

Skywalka wrote:what's "pogic"?
Logic with a typo. What's childisch