Better group selection on file add [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

wahaha
AniDB Staff

Better group selection on file add [DONE]

Post by wahaha »

''It will be a pain to navigate a list with 1500 groups'', so he said, and I think it's quite right :roll:

Ok, it's about the group-name-dropdown as seen on "ADD FILE" or "MASS ADD"-pages; these tend to grow extremely, especially since every single ripper has to be added (or at least: should be - if one adds the files as unknown there's no way to track all files of that ripper or vote in any way for the general quality), as well as every joint project.

So, I'd like to suggest a small addition that might help a bit:
(Example would be for Naruto-Eps)

The groups listed should be just all the groups that did the previous ep ;)
(They rarely skip eps, IIRC)
The option-button should default to "Other"

And since I'm already on it, two minor possible changes also visible on that picture:
* How about <center>-ing the "Add Groups"-text, since it might draw less attention that way?
* How about a <hr> in the empty <tr><td> between the drop-down and the File Info-Section below?
Last edited by wahaha on Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Well, today I had a discussion with Silver @ anidb channel about this same problem. The list now is big and the way rippers are managed now is not any good. A redesign has to be done to have a common groups list and to be able to set casual releasers...

Or should I start adding 30 new individual releasers to meake the list even more big and useless?
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

hm,

I see your point.
I guess listing the groups, which already subbed a file for that anime, in a special way is a good idea.
However, it doesn't really solve the main problem.
Maybe an optional text field where the groupid, groupname or group shortname can be entered (instead of selecting the group in via dropdown) might be usefull?
But if we do that we'd need to confirm that the user ment indeed the group we located using his input string.
any ideas?

BYe!
EXP
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

The better solution (IMHO) would be to have the list with a restricted number of groups confirmed and maintained by Admins (maybe users can add requests of addition) and an option in the list of a 'Single Releaser'.

When Single Releaser is selected you enable an input box (via JS) to add the releaser TAG. This way we fit both needs... a clean compact list of groups without lossing the 'one time' releasers. :wink:
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

hm,

so you're saying we don't need the dropdown with all groups at all?
i think it could still be pretty usefull.

maybe a combination of all this would be the best way to handle it?
i.e. 3 dropdowns, first one lists only groups which already "subbed" at least one file for this anime, dropdown two lists all mod approved groups (those would be all the mayor groups (also dvd ripping groups like p-a)) and a third dropdown listing ALL groups.
what do you think?
would we still need that text input field?
if it is used i'd have to show a confirmation page before continuing with the file addition though.

BYe!
EXP
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

exp wrote:hm,

so you're saying we don't need the dropdown with all groups at all?
i think it could still be pretty usefull.

maybe a combination of all this would be the best way to handle it?
Well, it seems you didn't understand me... what I'm saying is that we should have a drop down list with all major fansubs/dvdrip groups mantained by admins and inside this list an option to set, in an input box, a single releaser name.

Take a look at how it works here -> http://dongato.dyndns.org/

Hope you understand with an example ,-)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

why?

i don't see the sense in doing it that way.
why not enable the text field by default, maybe ppl also want to enter stuff like Aone there bc it's faster than using the dropdown (remember, even the list with only the mayor groups is still pretty long)?
and as long as it doesn't get to heavy size wise, why not offer a complete list as dropdown too?
ppl might not know the correct shorttitle/title as entered in anidb.

BYe!
EXP
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

exp wrote:maybe a combination of all this would be the best way to handle it?
i.e. 3 dropdowns, first one lists only groups which already "subbed" at least one file for this anime
Let me second my own request to do it with radio-buttons: It's one click less than a drop-down ;)
And the list would usually not have more than three entries (+"Other").
exp wrote:, dropdown two lists all mod approved groups (those would be all the mayor groups (also dvd ripping groups like p-a)) and a third dropdown listing ALL groups.
Shortening the (html-wise) always-transferred list of all groups is a good idea, but I'm not sure if it really needs some kind of manual approval - a "top 30"-"50" of "groups with most releases" would be another good method for this.
Though, a problematic point are joint-releases as they are currently not identified as such and would be treated as a seperate group.
exp wrote:what do you think?
would we still need that text input field?
if it is used i'd have to show a confirmation page before continuing with the file addition though.
An input filed is a nice idea - although somehow the "ADD FILE"-page grows more and more like this :roll:

However, the following confirmation-page could be used in some interesting ways:
  • In case of a full match (case-independent for group names, maybe case-sensitive for group-tags), the according group would be assumed without further user-driven confirmation. (If there is a wrong assignment, one should see that on the "file added"-page, though this should never happen[tm])
  • In case of a partial match, all groups that include the string could be listed (radio-buttons, anyone? ^^)
  • In addition to the last case or when there's no match, there could be the "add group"-form.
DonGato wrote:When Single Releaser is selected you enable an input box (via JS) to add the releaser TAG.
*Meep* bad word detected ^^
IIRC, added functionality by JS can be discussed, but required JS for certain functions is probably a no-go...
DonGato wrote:Well, it seems you didn't understand me... what I'm saying is that we should have a drop down list with all major fansubs/dvdrip groups mantained by admins and inside this list an option to set, in an input box, a single releaser name.

Take a look at how it works here -> http://dongato.dyndns.org/
I can't reach the page :?

If the name of the ripper would be added as a mere string without giving them some proper "group"-status, one might neither be able to track multiple rels (ok, ok, that'd go against the definition of a "single-rel"-ripper) nor could one cast a vote for the "group".
I believe that adding them as "groups" is neccessary to allow "playing with the data" - hiding them when someone adds a file to the db is another matter:
The criteria for hiding could be amount of releases (as given in a "topX", for example :D), finding them again would be done by the search-facility as described by exp.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I think exp proposition makes sense... having only the most used release groups and all the rest hidden and searchable through a new feature
Elandal

Post by Elandal »

I think having a list (radio buttons or pulldown) of groups that have already released a file in the anime currently being added to would be enough for most cases.
Of course having a short list of "groups with most releases" or something like that might be helpful sometimes, too.

However, another thing (that'd require more changes to anidb code/database than the above cases) would be for users to add "favourite groups", and then be able to choose from those when adding files. Most people do, afterall, have favourite groups whose releases they wait for and add.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

hm,

but wouldn't favorit groups be only usefull for the first file added by the user for an anime? I mean once he (or someone else) has added the first file subbed by group X it would show up in the list of groups which already subbed an ep for the anime.
therefor i don't think that this "feature" would be worth the trouble implementing it. and most ppl prolly wouldn't add fav. groups anyway.

so the main point against 3 dropdowns or 2 dropdowns + radio buttons is that the html page is getting to large (size wise) ?

BYe!
EXP
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

exp wrote:hm,

but wouldn't favorit groups be only usefull for the first file added by the user for an anime? I mean once he (or someone else) has added the first file subbed by group X it would show up in the list of groups which already subbed an ep for the anime.
therefor i don't think that this "feature" would be worth the trouble implementing it. and most ppl prolly wouldn't add fav. groups anyway.

so the main point against 3 dropdowns or 2 dropdowns + radio buttons is that the html page is getting to large (size wise) ?

BYe!
EXP
If the data you use is the same but separated in three groups I don't think it's a problem. Anyway I still believe would be better to have an input box (and maybe a link to a search popup window) for quick add of single releasers.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

first part (radio selection of common groups) implemented.

BYe!
EXP
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

Code: Select all

<ElNipp> ^ there should be HQA&A-K in the group list, too
<ElNipp> is it limited to 5 groups?
<EXP> yep
<EXP> only first 5 returned by db
Thesis A: It's a good idea to limit the amount of "previous groups" shown, but it might display "useless" groups
Thesis B: Displaying only the groups who did the exact previous ep (as I originally suggested ;)) works in most cases, but not in all.

Applying the well-known formula A+B=C, it results in...
Thesis C: When composing the list of groups, prioritize the groups that did the exact previous eps (Thesis B) and then add the other groups in any order (like "who did the most eps for this anime") up to a maximum of 5 (Thesis A).
In general, that might also be achieved by sorting them by their "distance" of the last (previous) release to the currently handled ep.

Comments, Flames, Tomatoes? :D
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

I'll look into this.

BYe!
EXP