remove hentai from anime hint? [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

User avatar
Gambit
AniDB Staff
Posts: 555
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:21 am

Post by Gambit » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:58 am

* Gambit shows up with a hockey-mask to prevent any face-stabbing experiences
Voting a 1 for all hentai won`t solve anything, because that would mean that the person who sothis (or any other, let just stick to sothis here) is best synced with, will suddenly drop a lot just because (s)he likes hentai and sothis doesn`t. The fact that some people can`t ever appreciate hentai (women mostly) while some others don`t or won`t mind hentai (men mostly) shouldn`t influence the hint too much.
So I also vote for the list to have an option like in the advanced search, which gives you a list of genres to include (or in this case, exclude). A dropdownbox would be already sufficient here though.

Another option is to give every anime an attribute -not in hintlist- or something. So as soon as it enters your HintList, you can click on it to prevent it to get back in the HintList. That way you can prevent certain anime (in my case all macross/robotech/gundam-related, which takes about 1/5 in mylist) to be displayed in the HintList you already know you won`t watch while you won`t vote for it.
sothis wrote:the series that i've voted for the most are horror and sci fi, and barely any of those show up in my list, probably because i've plowed through so many of them. however, these are the ones i'd want the most!
Well, it`s not like it checks all genres to see which one you like. It checks your votes with votes from other people. If those other people you`re synced with don`t like horror stuff, then you won`t see much horror either. If you voted high for series like Scrapped Princess, Juuni Kokki, Escaflowne and such and someone else votes the same for those, then you`ll be synced because of those. But if you vote a 9 for Curse of the Undead Yoma (don`t stab me, it`s just an example), and that other person votes a 4 for it, then you may understand that that person doesn`t like horror at all, while he does have a similar taste with everything else you watch - except for horror.
And, I mean, how much horror titles are there out there? ;) Most horror are demon/hentai combinations anyway :P
What you (sothis) want is a HintList where genre is taken much more into account, but that`s not being taken into account at all currently.

For myself, I`d like to see the HintList working on prequels/sequels as well. If I like Steel Angel Kurumi 1 (may god help me :P ) then I`d like to see if Steel Angel Kurumi 2 (or any of the alternate universe/storylines) is kind of similar voted by the people in my HintList.
Another example is Those Who Hunt Elves. I voted it a 5 because it was not really worth watching, but it wasn`t that bad. Suddenly the sequel appears in my HintList, while I thought a 5 was good enough reason to ban the sequel from the list.

But, as EXP already indicated before, there are various ideas available which will never be implemented because it`ll cause a serious performance issue.

Elberet
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:14 pm

Post by Elberet » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:18 am

Gambit wrote:Another option is to give every anime an attribute -not in hintlist- or something.
Hm, a "negative wishlist" of sorts? Well, why not? Make the anime hint filter animes that one has in the wishlist and set to a certain state. It works with the mylist, so it shouldn be doable with the wishlist as well, right?

User avatar
Gambit
AniDB Staff
Posts: 555
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:21 am

Post by Gambit » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:20 am

You might think of it as that, yes ;)
Although I was rather thinking of a blacklist instead of a wishlist :P

Elberet
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:14 pm

Post by Elberet » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:22 am

"negative wishlist" == "blacklist". :P

User avatar
Gambit
AniDB Staff
Posts: 555
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:21 am

Post by Gambit » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:37 am

Elberet wrote:"negative wishlist" == "blacklist". :P
Negative Wishlist sounds way more subtle :P I`m thinking the harsh way here ;)

Elberet
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:14 pm

Post by Elberet » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:01 pm

I never knew you had such a sledgehammer mentality. ;)
I used the term "negative wishlist" because the two feautures are quite similar to implement, and your "blacklist" could in fact use parts of the already present wishlist. In fact, all that'd need to be done is to add a new wishlist category "avoid" or "blacklist" and a direct link to animes to add them to the wishlist with this particular state, then filter animes from anime hint that are in the avoid-wishlist.

Guest

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:24 am

sothis wrote:again, guest, i don't see that argument relating to not wanting to watch hentai because you might actually like it. i see nothing entertaining or interesting about watching porn in any context. if you are just talking about other genres, i'd understand, though.
Shall I remind you that Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, for example, winner of two of AR community awards for year 2003, while not being hentai itself, is based on hentai game? Please leave your hentai = porn to yourself (or try to learn about hentai a bit more) and do not insist on filtering hentai just because of that. (Other arguments, of course, are fine).

User avatar
DonGato
Posts: 1296
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:08 pm
Location: The Pampas, The land of the Gaucho!
Contact:

Post by DonGato » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:21 pm

Being based on a Hentai game doesn't mean the anime is Hentai itself. I don't see where sothis made that statement, so better keep your comments for yourself (using your same language).

User avatar
Gambit
AniDB Staff
Posts: 555
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:21 am

Post by Gambit » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:55 pm

Anonymous wrote:Shall I remind you that Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, for example, winner of two of AR community awards for year 2003, while not being hentai itself, is based on hentai game? Please leave your hentai = porn to yourself (or try to learn about hentai a bit more) and do not insist on filtering hentai just because of that. (Other arguments, of course, are fine).
Where did sothis say that KGNE was bad? sothis was talking about hentai anime, not hentai games, nor non-hentai anime based on hentai games. In fact, sothis didn`t say anything about non-hentai anime, even if they were based on hentai games.
So before you burst out about 'teaching' people about hentai, better read what they say first ;)
After all, with the hentai-filter implemented, KGNE will still pop up in the HintList. And so far I know, sothis doesn`t have anything against that, since it`s not a hentai anime. So what is your point? Image

User avatar
Rar
AniDB Staff
Posts: 1471
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:41 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by Rar » Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:27 pm

Have you tried playing with the settings at all sothis? I found changing the av. scale to 0 (the old system) started giving me more sensible recommendations again. However, as this is just giving more popular animes a better score, it's not exactly a good long term fix.

Rar

rowaasr13
Posts: 415
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:57 am

Post by rowaasr13 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:22 am

Gambit wrote: Where did sothis say that KGNE was bad? sothis was talking about hentai anime, not hentai games, nor non-hentai anime based on hentai games. In fact, sothis didn`t say anything about non-hentai anime, even if they were based on hentai games.
So before you burst out about 'teaching' people about hentai, better read what they say first ;)
sothis said even more stupid thing, IMHO: all hentai=porn.
sothis wrote:i see nothing entertaining or interesting about watching porn in any context.
If there's another way to understand this in context of this thread - I'd like to know. That's why I answered like this. (Forgot to login back then).

User avatar
DonGato
Posts: 1296
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:08 pm
Location: The Pampas, The land of the Gaucho!
Contact:

Post by DonGato » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:43 pm

Well, she is entitled to her opinion and that's why she is asking for an option to disable them and not for the removal of all Hentai from AniDB or from the hints, so IMO you're still off with your comments.

And for me Hentai is porn-like, animated but anyway it is.

sothis
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:15 pm

Post by sothis » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:28 pm

since when is kgne hentai? kgne, as it turns out, is one of my highest rated series of all time. yes, there is sex, but it is tasteful and very appropriate for the series, the context, etc. unlike actual hentai, which tends to be full of either rape, incest, torture, tentacles, demon rape, or something else wonderful.

yes, in my eyes, all hentai is porn, considering it is THE SAME THING, yet animated, and sometimes even worse than real porn. difference of opinion. and obviously i am not alone in my opinion, since 95% of everyone who responded in the thread agrees it would be a nice change to the system.

and since when is it not allowed or wrong for me to not want to watch porn? look, if your idea of a saturday evening is to sit around and masturbate to people getting raped, that's your deal... but considering hentai is a completely different class of anime (=porn), it seems reasonable that there should be an option to remove it from animehint.

Snakes
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Norway

Post by Snakes » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:42 am

Im not someone who has watched so much anime and rated alot of Anime (allthough my friends call me an amine otaku with no life) like you guys have, and I have my own fav genres like adventure, magic, action, sci-fi and occasional mecha, and a love for movies and short OVA's. among my favourite movies and series are Whisper of the Heart, The Cat Returns, My neighbour Totoro, Spirited Away (uuhhmm.. see the Ghibli 'coincidence'? ;)), Witch hunter Robin, Last EXILE, Cowboy Bebop, and Stellvia of the Universe where pretty good. obviusly, Im kinda sucker for 'kiddy' flicks but on the other hand Ive watched and I actually liked watching Mezzo Forte and Kite where they both got a 8 in my book while Wicked City (with obvius HENTAI written all over, including the usual demon rapes, tentacles and the lot) got a 7 from me, all because they actually contain a (good) plot and caught my intrest to watch them.

what Im trying to say here is that despite having a intrest for some of the more general accepted anime's thats innocent, entertaining and fun, and can be watched by anyone, there are some shows from other genres thats actually pretty good, despite having some content thats not suited for minors and those with a weak stomac.

I guess what Im actually trying to say is that removing entire genre's from the hintpage might not be a so good idea, despite one's 'hate' towards the specific genre, as there are some good shows thats worth watching.

maybe some sort of weight system could be applied to the hentai genre, where one could set a score to specific shows depending on how hardcore the show is. so for example Kite would get a level 2 stamp for moderate sexual content and Bible Black would get a level 5 stamp for hardcore sexual content along with the rest of A-typical hentai shows.
this way, the user would see how hardcore the hentai show is and can choose depending on how high or low the specific show is rated.
other than that, I'd say the 'negative wishlist' would be a good option, but then the users would have to deny as they appear in hints. unless they decide to seek out all hentai and deny them all, one by one. but then again, ignorance is bliss, right? ;)

User avatar
Gambit
AniDB Staff
Posts: 555
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:21 am

Post by Gambit » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:23 am

rowaasr13 wrote:sothis said even more stupid thing, IMHO: all hentai=porn.
Well, that`s all up to her. I think she`s not that far off even, but I see hentai as pr0n with a story, while regular pr0n is just an extended sex-scene. But pr0n is pr0n and one is allowed to have their own ideas about it.
rowaasr13 wrote:
sothis wrote:i see nothing entertaining or interesting about watching porn in any context.
If there's another way to understand this in context of this thread - I'd like to know. That's why I answered like this. (Forgot to login back then).
I`d say, ask your mother/sister whether she would enjoy it when she walks into a videostore and people come to her and offer her pr0n videos. I`m sure that she`s say that she doesn`t have any interest in watching those when she goes to a videostore.
The HintList kinda works the same, you get animetitles offered when you want to look around to see what titles you want to see next. And for women, the idea of pr0n/hentai just doesn`t appeal or might give them the feeling of disgust, just like a lot of men wouldn`t like it when they`re offered yaoi/gay videos, whether that be in the videostore or in AniDB`s HintList.

How hard is it to understand that? Image

@Snakes Ultima previously suggested to add hentai-genres itself, which would indicate whether it would include rape/tentacles/incest/etc. That would allow people to see what kind of hentai it would be, which also indicates extremeness. That idea was not implemented because it would cause too much new genres, perhaps even more than we currently have, which resulted in Ultima using those subgenres in his hentai-reviews. But that`s as much as we get now ...

Locked