Small change for (per-anime) group-votes [OLD REQ]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

wahaha
AniDB Staff

Small change for (per-anime) group-votes [OLD REQ]

Post by wahaha »

The problem:
Currently, the rating is shown as "- (0)" when there are 0 votes, "- (X)" for X=1-9 votes and "z.zz (XX)" for higher values.

Since there's no easy way to find out that the rating is hidden until 10 votes were cast, it may lead people to think that "- (X)" means a rating of X.

A possible solution: (suggestions from #anidb)
  1. Replace the "-" by something else, for example a '?'
  2. Make it "X votes"
  3. When there are less than 10 votes, add an '*' that leads to an explanation below the group-info, for example "rating hidden: under 10 votes".
I'm in favor of using both 1 and 3.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

I am all for changing the - to "too few votes *"

with the star (*) beeing a link or just a reference to another part of the page where it says "at least 10 votes needed"

Just like it was on Sharereactor
egg

Post by egg »

How about lowering the number of votes needed to show the votes... People vote for these at lot less frequently than they vote for the animes, which makes it annoying in some cases to try to see the ratings for them.

Here are inconsistencies that lend support for my suggestion:
1) If you look at the group page, you can see vote regardless of the number of votes. But you cannot tell which animes those votes came from for that average number.
2) The hidden anime votes can be calculated if you look at the view votes page. So even these are not really hidden.

I would suggest one of three things:
1) Remove the minimum votes requirement.
2) Make the group votes viewable in the voting page similar to the episode votes with one line per group. You can list the groups below the permanent/temporary votes.
3) If you really do want a minimum votes requirement, please lower the requirement (to 5?)
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

egg wrote:1) If you look at the group page, you can see vote regardless of the number of votes. But you cannot tell which animes those votes came from for that average number.
Those votes are actually seperate.
egg wrote:2) The hidden anime votes can be calculated if you look at the view votes page. So even these are not really hidden.
True, but showing them there doesn't neccessarily lead to biased votes.

Can't we solve this by forcing people to vote more... somehow? ^^;
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

wahaha wrote:
egg wrote:1) If you look at the group page, you can see vote regardless of the number of votes. But you cannot tell which animes those votes came from for that average number.
Those votes are actually seperate.
Not much longer, as exp said some time ago he'll replace the group-votes with an average calculated from the group-for-anime-votes.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Elberet wrote:Not much longer, as exp said some time ago he'll replace the group-votes with an average calculated from the group-for-anime-votes.
I believe that he wanted to cancel that entire 'group' vote and only keep the anime-per-group in it, which is independant from each other.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

It's basically the same thing, Gambit. If there are anime-per-group votes, why not add all of them for one group together and calculate a grand average during the daily maintenance run?