Watched on TV [OLD-WAS-ONTODO]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

I agree with Exp's way of solving the problem. Adding 0 byte files. Although, we should think of some restrictions... like not allowing these entries for shows not released outside Japan because people will have seen the eps through files... just a thought, although it is not good for people living there.
Bad idea, what if there's an anidb user who lives in japan who happens to see it and want to flag it in his list? ;)
AniDB isn't small, what probably "wouldn't" happen has a larger chance of happening the more users there are.
So you can read it. You just hate green.
Sorry, I'm just kidding with ya. Read 'em if you want, I thought I made valid points.
...But I still love this green.
Whether you make valid points or not doesn't really matter when you color your text for no reason with a color that doesn't match the board theme, it's like standing at the bus stop repeatedly screaming "LOOK AT ME I'M ORIGINAL!" hoping that a limousine taxi will notice you and drive you home free of charge.
And as others have stated, that's not "green". ;)

Look I can do it too and I'm not even using a predefined color!
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

@Egg: Same here :) I would never "demand" anything, neither from PetriW or EXP. I only debate :)

@PetriW: you misunderstood Pack Ratt: he is colorblind and thinks that the color he uses is actually green ;)

Oh, and additionally: where is the bus?

@Pack Ratt: "truely" is not a word. Better use truly (mentioned that because you used it more than once) ^_^
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

Skywalka wrote:I still think that AniDB is a better version of Sharereactor (for Anime only) and not a general catalogue of what you have seen and what not.
now that one hurt :?

BYe!
EXP
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Then you should do something to change how people see it. Allowing full series watched state is one step ahead. :D
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Nothing deserves to be compared to the utter crap sharereactor was. 8O
Pak Ratt

Post by Pak Ratt »

Geeze, if you hate the color that much, I'll stop. I only use it because I really like green (yes, green. If you all want to nitpick every line I say, then read what I say: I said I like THIS green. Olive is a green with some brown in it, and is probaly my favorite color).

Now if you are all done picking on the ratt, try reading what I wrote.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Gee, now we made him cry ^_^

You should've noticed that after EXP posted his comment usually the thread is done and either discarded or left for something else. We chose to get a little sarcastic. Don't take it personal, that's just the way things are around here. Group behaviour I guess. Everybody who comes into a room where people already know each other is subject to this. We don't know you, can't be personal. We just know that OLIVE is hard to read. No matter how much brown there is in it.

Oh, by the way, what is grey then? Black or White? coz it got both ^_^
kidan

Post by kidan »

Well, didn't rea all of this thread, but I think the Idea of the dummy-file would be useful. It should have no ed2k-link, a size of 0, no group (perhaps a special fake-group (like 'don't have a file')) and be there for every new episode added.

It would be nice to have a profile-option to prevent those files from being displayed at all, but that's not that urgent.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Goody, goody :D
I`ve been away for a while and now I see I missed this thread during my absense, so - as the ultimate annoyance and long text-poster I am, I want to participate too! Wai ! Wai !

Clarification AniDB
First of all, Pac... *checks anidb* - ah, Packrat (why is your nick here different from the one you regged with in anidb?). I`ve read the entire thread (yes, I know - I`m insane) and I think that the one thing which might or might not be clear is that AniDB has been made to keep track of fansubs you have downloaded. I agree on your misinterpretation when you quoted the part of the 'What is AniDB' from the main page, since it says 'what you have seen' (MyList would be the thing mentioned here). But, since already said (points at the 2 pages before this post), AniDB is centralized for files, not for the anime itself.

The Past vs The Present
It`s been a while, but EXP finally gave in to allow other things as well, so now it`s not only a 'what fansubs you have seen'-database anymore, but a lot, lot more. And if we`re already getting to the point where we use anidb to indicate what we have seen on tv, then we`ll have to do something else. And that brings me to the next suggestion:

Watched on TV
Add an option 'Watched on TV' (as suggested before, not by me), which would be an indicator good enough for you, but not interesting at all for other people. I think a button/checkbox 'Watched on TV' would already be good enough. Since TV episodes are sometimes (or in the US, a lot) edited and thus wouldn`t be the same as the fansubs in the database, so those might be shortened or merged on tv instead. Which results in the fact that what you have seen on TV is less eps than in the DB are (since on TV they sometimes took out an arc, some eps, or merged eps). So I think it would be pretty useless to select all the episodes from a series and then click 'Watched on TV'. Instead, you just get the option 'Watched on TV', which indicates that you have watched the entire series on TV (and you probably don`t even know if they have aired all the episodes, or that they have edited anyway, nor would you probably know how many episodes you have seen, or which one you missed).

Button/Checkbox
So I`m for a 'Watched on TV' button/checkbox.
Of course you can argue with me that it`s still airing, so if you look really nice at EXP (don`t make him misunderstand, or his boyfriend will get angry :lol: ) then perhaps he might make an option 'Airing', 'Finished' on the TV-option.

Anyway, it`s not green - it`s olive :P (sorry, couldn`t help myself but saying it for the 30th time :D ). Anyway - nice to see some posts from you, since I noticed your name in the statistics for anidb.
ninjamask

Post by ninjamask »

to throw in a thing.. what if you saw the anime not on tv.

there are other possibilities:

# on cinema
# from stuff you lent from a "videokiosk"
# from stuff you lent from a friend

per example:
# you watched monoke hime on cinema or lent from a (videokiosk) (would go into the "watched on tv" category)
# or a friend lent you kiddy grade fansubs, you watched em but didnt copy em. (hmm... maybe that could go as "deleted", but as it can means you deleted it cuz it sucked i would prefer to select them as "watched on tv")

Mata ne, ninja. ^^
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Just to add to the confusion, (not really something I want implemented):
# Own on DVD

No Akira in mylist (uid=15147) you see, which looks silly.

If in ten years time anidb includes all DVD releases (do they have an ISBN equivalent?) I could fill in some obvious holes.
Rar
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

ISBN is for books. Another possibility would be using the barcodes because they are genuine all over the world.

Other than that you could simply use IMDB links. It does not so much matter which flavour of an Anime you saw and if it does there are usually seperate entries for the different versions in AniDB already (take NGE for instance, 2003 renewal).