trim search submissions [DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

gizban

trim search submissions [DENIED]

Post by gizban »

I noticed the search form at AniDB does not trim white spaces from the front and end of the search submissions.
So if I search for 'scryed ' (without quotes of course) then I get no results.

PHP has a function called trim and I'm sure PERL has something similar. This problem should be easy to fix.
I made a similar suggestion at anime planet earlier today.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well,

I do not consider this a bug.
In fact it's quite usefull from time to time as it allows to force matching on word boundaries.
I've made use of that quite some times already.

-> request denied

BYe!
EXP
kidan

Post by kidan »

Why not implement something like google's search-hint:

If a search returns no result and is not trimmed, then present a 'did you mean XXXX ?' link, which does a search for the trimmed version.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

do we really need to go that far?
i mean the user could also just correct this search query on his own.

BYe!
EXP
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

I guess it might be a good idea. Not everybody out there who is now a member of AniDB might notice this, and people might get frustrated. Additionally not so many people might know that if the space character is treated just like any other character they can use it to refine their searches. Honestly I found out about this myself today and now remember one or two times where I wondered why my search did not work since I often copy and paste stuff into search input boxes and it might as well be that I copied a tab or space and that was the reason.

I guess you should do it based on how complicated it is to implement. If it takes too much time, eats up too much ressources then don't do it.