Longer names/aliases [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

rowaasr13

Longer names/aliases [DONE]

Post by rowaasr13 »

I'd like to have longer names/aliases or &#nnnn; entries treated as one char. Right now I can't add alias Пламенный лабиринт - I get "ERROR: 2 - name too long".
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

At least use proper text, since I can`t do anything with textcodes :P
And well ... with such aliases with only codes, of course it wouldn`t work ...
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

Does it really help if it's shown in its decoded form? ^^
rowaasr13 wrote:Пламенный лабиринт
[As it's in this thread's context, let me refine my previous feature-request from Change encoding to UTF-8 [DENIED]]

IMO, instead of just increasing the possible lenght of aliases, it'd be much better to also properly distinguish them, for example like this:
"Original title (Japanese, Kanji)"
"Original title (Japanese, Romaji)"
"Original title (Other)"
"Official translation (English)"
"Unofficial translation (English)"
"Other titles"
If the English- and the Romaji-entries would be limited to ASCII, these could be used whenever unicode doesn't get to work.

An example:
"Original title (Japanese, Kanji)": 宇宙のステルヴィア
"Original title (Japanese, Romaji)": Uchuu no Stellvia
"Unofficial translation (English)": Stellvia of the Universe, Cosmic Stellvia
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Gambit wrote:At least use proper text, since I can`t do anything with textcodes :P
See topic referenced by wahaha - &#nnnn; is prefered way of writing non-ASCII names.
And well ... with such aliases with only codes, of course it wouldn`t work ...
It works quite well, see http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb.pl ... e&aid=1272 or http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb.pl ... e&aid=1171 for example. Alias above doesn't work just because it happens to be longer, not because it uses &#nnnn; notation.

I really like what wahaha suggests and it'd be really great if it could be implemented that way.
Iceman[grrrr]

Post by Iceman[grrrr] »

But Wahaha's suggestion means DB changes... and more work for Exp so a long delay before it may be implemented! ;)
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

wahaha wrote:An example:
"Original title (Japanese, Kanji)": 宇宙のステルヴィア
"Original title (Japanese, Romaji)": Uchuu no Stellvia
"Unofficial translation (English)": Stellvia of the Universe, Cosmic Stellvia
Looks pretty interesting to me, indeed.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Anyone know how those "摟珮" actually work? I made a few assumptions and got kanji but not kana / korean characters working in AniDB O'Matic. :oops:
If someone knows a webpage detailing this stuff so little lazy me won't have to find it I'd appreciate it! :D
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Numbers are decimal unicode positions. I posted it in previous thread, but here you are again: small convertor I've programmed in 10 minutes that will convert any input to this notation.

URL: http://www.lglobus.ru/~rover/test/utf8tohtml.pl
Source: http://www.lglobus.ru/~rover/test/utf8tohtml.rar
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Iceman[grrrr] wrote:But Wahaha's suggestion means DB changes... and more work for Exp so a long delay before it may be implemented! ;)
Ahem, don't you say that about ANY change? Of course it wont appear from thin air by itself! :)

It is not much work, actually. Only new types have to be added in addition to already existing name/alias/short name. Shuffling data around to new types is work for dedicated users, not exp.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Urgh that doesn't help much to be honest, you say Unicode but Unicode is a lot more than just "Unicode". If you could dig up the docs you used as base for that script it might be better. 8O
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

No docs were harmed in creation of this script. Heh.
Well, what exactly you want to know? Send a letter to rover@lglobus.ru, I guess it's not necessary to discuss it in this topic.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Mail sent. :D