Seach facility for rating of anime [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

spankydam

Seach facility for rating of anime [DONE]

Post by spankydam »

First of all can I say a massive thanks to everyone out there helping to feed my addiction. Have seen so many very good, very funny, very strange and very cool anime in the last year, and broken a CD-Writer in the process.

Love the AniDB - incredibly handy for finding all the missing episodes from series where the news-servers were acting up.

One feature that I thought could be handy would be some way of showing the series in order of their rating - maybe through the search facility - i.e. show all series with a rating between xx and yy, or show all series over rating xx.

Thought that this might help those new to the various genres find the good stuff more quickly, and also help me decide which series to watch next :D

Thanks to everyone again
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

yep,

something like this was already planned.
however for it to be really usefull the anidb will need a lot more users and a lot more votes per anime.

i'd say everything below 50 votes does not really say that much about an anime. everyone has his own preferences and only by collecting a large number of votes it's possible to do a real rating. and even then it's not perfect.
we have some nasty ideas for the future though which could make this a LOT better. but we'll need a lot more users, a new host and a lot of time for this, still confidental, feature :|

BYe!
EXP
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

exp wrote:i'd say everything below 50 votes does not really say that much about an anime. everyone has his own preferences and only by collecting a large number of votes it's possible to do a real rating. and even then it's not perfect.
50? ... well :?
To achieve 50 votes I guess you have to bug people a lot... but it would be good nonetheless to hide the first, say, 5 to 10 votes for an anime or you get "protest-votes" that do not reflect what one really rates the anime.

Example: Mouse
I rated it... well... 2, because I really disliked it. Changed that to 1 later on. Now, whoever casted the second vote - he chose 10.
I can fully understand that this user wanted to give that anime a better "start", vote-wise, but I'm quite sure that noone would ever rate Mouse 10, not even if you're drunk :roll:

Half-OT, but since it's already about votes, it'd be nice to have some names for the numbers.
Suggestion:
1 ) Worst show ever
2 ) Makes me puke
3 ) Plain bad
4 ) Could be better
5 ) Average
6 ) Good
7 ) Very good
8 ) Great
9 ) Excellent
10) Masterpiece

[ If you (yeah, you who reads this ;)) feel like discussing this would be too OT, please open a new thread. ]
spankydam

Post by spankydam »

Example: Mouse
I rated it... well... 2, because I really disliked it. Changed that to 1 later on. Now, whoever casted the second vote - he chose 10.
I can fully understand that this user wanted to give that anime a better "start", vote-wise, but I'm quite sure that noone would ever rate Mouse 10, not even if you're drunk
Sorry but I have to disagree with you about Mouse, I have to rate it around an 8, which is about the same as my other half who is bugging me to check to see if the next episode has been release <inserts massive thanks to all the fansub groups, servers and posters>.

Anyway....

Will be very interested in what ever you plan for the future, in the meantime I (and I hope everyone else who wants this feature) to start adding their ratings to all the shows they've watched... Only not tonight, I've an appointment with Nurse Nanako to finish :twisted:

Ratings are always going to be personal, and peoples taste differ, but most of us will agree on the classics that really need to be watched, and also the ones that you love without really wanting to admit you love them. Also there are so many that you need to give at least 5 or more episodes of watching before you can really make a decision.

Don't know about blocking the first 5 to 10 voters, but I would maybe see if it would be possible to tie in some sort of weighting system to your vote depending on how many episodes you have seen. That way those who had watched more than perhaps a shaky first couple of episodes of an anime that developed in to a classic mid-season would give a more informed rating.

Good suggestions for an idea of the rating guide - perhaps that could be included in the drop-down box for the score. 'Makes me puke' might be a bit much but I kinda agree with the other suggestions

Thanks again for a great site and tool....

Spanky
BMan

Post by BMan »

spankydam wrote:but I would maybe see if it would be possible to tie in some sort of weighting system to your vote depending on how many episodes you have seen. That way those who had watched more than perhaps a shaky first couple of episodes of an anime that developed in to a classic mid-season would give a more informed rating.
i don't think that is a good idea...
maybe there are people who bother themselves with watching all the eps of an anime they dislike/don't really like, but imho the majority of the people just watch the first ep, or maybe the first couple, then they decide if they want to continue watching this anime...

example:

i watched the first three eps of "ANIME XYZ".
- it does not really interest me
- i don't find aspects from which i would say i like this one

then i'll just vote it, i.e., 5, and won't "waste" space and time (time is money) with downloading and watching the other 20 eps...

20 other ppl behave the same way...
but then 5 ppl, who are totally enthusiastic about this anime, vote it 10.
and because they watched all 25 eps there rating raises the avg. voting quite rapidly...

you get the idea?

not a bad approach, but i just don't think it's a good thing :)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

hm,

you have a point there.
and those pplh wo don't continue watching the anime might not even add the first 1 to 3 eps to mylist.
after all what use would that have to them if they stopped collecting that anime and probably even deleted the old files.

BYe!
EXP