Vote for video quality [DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

drag0on

Vote for video quality [DENIED]

Post by drag0on »

Adding a feature where u can vote for the video quality will be good.It will probably reduce the number of 'misinformation' in that way.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

hm,

dunno about that, vid quality voting for every single file,
who will take the time to do it anyway?

BYe!
EXP
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

note: this was no "denied" post.
/me just needs some more arguments b4 putting it on the todo list,
just convince me we need this :P

BYe!
EXP
BF Inc.

Post by BF Inc. »

IMHO, it would suffice to implement it per group because it shouldn't differ from episode to episode that much.

To make clear what I meant, an example:

Say you're looking at the X-TV series entry, you see this:

Title: X TV
Synonyms: -
Short: X
Genre: Action, Fantasy, Magic, Super Power - [more]
Type: TV
Episodes: 24
Year: 2001
Producer: CLAMP
URL:
Animenfo: ID: 705
Prequels: X OVA
Sequels: X OVA
Rating: 8.00 (13 votes)
Reviews: 1 Review(s), Avg. Review Rating: 6.66 - [view/add review(s)]

Now you could make there an entry for every group that ripped/subbed this series (or part of it); in this case:

Reviews: 1 Review(s), Avg. Review Rating: 6.66 - [view/add review(s)]
Done/Provided by [or sth. similar]: reii; video quality rating: x.xx [if not voted, pull down menu]; sub quality rating: x.xx [if not yet voted, pull down menu]
AI; video quality rating: x.xx [if not voted, pull down menu]; sub quality rating: x.xx [if not yet voted, pull down menu]
AP; video quality rating: [if not voted, pull down menu]; sub quality rating: x.xx [if not yet voted, pull down menu]

Dunno how much work this would cost - but it would be damn nice! 8)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

yeah,

that sounds much better.
I'll prolly put this on the TODO list, any other/better suggestions?

BYe!
EXP
theMug

Post by theMug »

Much better idea than voting on every single file. Geeks like me may do that but that wouldn't be used much. But making two additional votes after seing the series won't be too much strain.

The only downside is with ongoing series. People have a keen interest to know which versions to get and which to avoid while eps are still coming out if they didn't start getting it right away. The problem is, the quality changes sometimes (the person doing the encoding or subtitles changes or some such).

Difficult to take that into account, but to be used much the overall rating approach is still the best.

Maybe you could provide an easy link to change the vote directly on the anime's page. It doesn't make much sense in voting / changing the vote on the series but as I pointed out very much so for the quality. So combobox while not having voted, a "change your vote" link afterwards.
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

Short: I believe the ability to vote for each file while providing easy methods to give a combined vote to be the best. Grouping them based on ... well... groups is indeed a great idea :)

Longer version: Make it easy to access some fast "combo-/multivotes" on both the website and via Chii.

[Note: When I use (1-10) here, that's actually referring to the rating from "eyecancer" to "excellent"]

That might look as follows: An additional line "Vote (1-10) for all files by (group)" on the anime's page - really exactly like BF's suggestion.
Maybe another one: "Vote (1-10) for ep (1-x) to (1-x) by (group)", to take in account that some of them actually improve while doing their subs ;)
... Those two would be separated from any other activities, but one could also use the existing checkboxes used to mark eps watched/unwatched by adding another line "Vote all marked files (1-10)"

For Chii, I'd seperate this voting from the other commands. Maybe an additional "!votefile (anime/aid) (eps) (1-10)" where "(eps)" can be "[epA]-[epB]" or "all", thus providing the group-based-vote.
Dunno if it'd be useful to allow adding a vote to !addfile...
("!addfile (anime/aid) (last/ed2k/fid) [w [(1-10)]]")

I admit though that this is a "Geeks like me may do that but that wouldn't be used much."(c theMug)-suggestion. :P
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well,

i don't like the idea of voting for every single file. it's just not usefull.
no more than 2-3 ppl will ever use that and the way wahaha suggested it it's quite some work.
i'd prefer one ranking value per group+anime. an easy way to change your rating later might be a good idea. but i don't think we need voting per file.
if the quality of a certain ep is really that bad it might be better to request a db change of the quality value for that file.

BYe!
EXP