[CGI] Anime with 0 Episodes does not show as Complete[NOBUG]

already fixed bugs

Moderator: AniDB

egg.

[CGI] Anime with 0 Episodes does not show as Complete[NOBUG]

Post by egg. »

I'm not sure if this is really a bug, it might turn out to be a feature request, or even a DB maintenance issue...

In particular I am talking about Naruto, which has new episodes added on average once a week. Currently the database looks like:
* The header says that there are 0 episodes
* There are 56 episodes with files
* There is one episode without a file

In my list this shows up as 56 / 0 + x and is not marked as complete.

One way to resolve this is to file a CReq every time a new file is added, but that would get quite tedious.

What I was thinking is if the number of episodes in the title is 0, then use the actual number of episodes with a file to calculate if the Anime is currently complete.

egg
alaureijs

Post by alaureijs »

0 means that it is not determined (yet) how many episodes are in this series. With this it is not possible to determine whether a series is complete.

The points You mentioned (header=0, eposides=56, one episode without file) means probably that this series is ongoing.

Knowing the number I guess You're talking about Naruto. This series is definitly ongoing and my estimate is that it is 100+ episodes of fun to anticipate.
egg

Post by egg »

I understand that it is ongoing. But currently, as far as what AniDB knows my downloads are complete, and I would like to have that reflected in mylist. That is why I made the request to have the "completeness" determined by the number of episodes that have a file (when the header says 0). This way it will currently show as complete, but when a new file is added it will be incomplete again.

egg
alaureijs

Post by alaureijs »

Hmmm... I guess we have a difference of interpretation of 'complete'. True, You have all the files in the anime (at least one of each episode). You may interpret that as 'complete for the time being'. But, the series itself is not complete yet. Which 'complete' do you want"

To me 'complete' means 'series is complete' meaning: no new episodes are likely to be added. I'd like to have Mylist to claim the series as 'incomplete' until i've gotten all episodes of the complete series. I would not like to have 'complete' on 'incomplete' series.

Having said that: It is not up to me to decide what is the truth or what should be real. Our Kami-Sama (EXP) is the one with the final say.

Additional status could be 'complete for now' but that would require contributors to add only episode entries when they also add files to those episodes. It can be an interesting discussion... *S*
Iceman[grrrr]

Post by Iceman[grrrr] »

In the MyList, just click "hide stalled"...

It will not show complete series you have and series where you have all the episodes released.
egg

Post by egg »

OK, "hide stalled" sounds like what I want. But, I tried that and now there appears to be a genuine bug. "hide stalled" does the same thing as "hide viewed", it hides those animes that I have viewed entirely. Naruto was still displayed. BTW, there are now 57 episodes and I do have them all (it shouldn't have worked if I had not downloaded the latest episode).

egg
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

egg wrote:"hide stalled" does the same thing as "hide viewed", it hides those animes that I have viewed entirely. Naruto was still displayed. BTW, there are now 57 episodes and I do have them all (it shouldn't have worked if I had not downloaded the latest episode).
I can confirm this bug - I think it's related to the special-eps.

"Hide stalled" worked properly when I had only regular eps in my list.
I added the Special 3 (of naruto) to my list as unwatched, then enabled "hide stalled", set the special to "watched" - and naruto still showed up, like it's the case for egg.

I don't know if that's of any interest, but the wrong ep-count caused by adding & removing the special might have some influence on this... after adding and removing it a few times, I ended up with "EPs: 58 / 0 + -2 Seen: 57 / 58 + -1 ", whereas it should have been "EPs: 56/0 +1 Seen: 56/0 +1"
Iceman[grrrr]

Post by Iceman[grrrr] »

Sorry it's my mistake...

Hide stalled doesn't hide series which you have all the eps, it hides the series which you have SEEN all the eps...

I guess having an option to hide series if you have all the eps released would be good.

Can smo move this thread to the Request forum ?
egg

Post by egg »

OK, if "hide stalled" hides the anime where all of the episodes have been viewed, what does "hide viewed" do, I cannot tell a difference? This also is only hiding anime where all of the episodes have been viewed. I have an anime that I have watched half of, and it shows up with both "hide stalled" and "hide viewed" selected.

BTW, I removed the special from the Naruto and it acted the same way (because I do not have them marked as viewed).

The name "hide stalled" makes sense that it should do what I was mentioning, especially when there is a "hide viewed" option. If the "hide stalled" is really meant to hide anime that have had all episodes viewed, what is "hide viewed" supposed to do?

Just trying to figure this all out.

egg
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

egg wrote:BTW, I removed the special from the Naruto and it acted the same way (because I do not have them marked as viewed).
I don't know what made me assume that you watched them, sorry ^^;

"Hide viewed": Hide all animes you have all eps from and also watched all of them. [EPs: 26/26, Seen: 26/26]
"Hide stalled": Hide all animes where you have watched all eps you have(, regardless of how many there are in total). [EPs: 13/26, Seen: 13/13]

So, back to your original request:
egg wrote:What I was thinking is if the number of episodes in the title is 0, then use the actual number of episodes with a file to calculate if the Anime is currently complete.
That feature mainly needs one thing: A good name to not confuse it with (in-/)complete/viewed/stalled...
Integration it into "complete" might cause some confusion, especially with series that just started and only have very few eps.
egg

Post by egg »

wahaha wrote:I don't know what made me assume that you watched them, sorry ^^;
I actually do not have time to watch a lot of what I download. :( My wife does most of the watching, and I do the downloading...
wahaha wrote:"Hide viewed": Hide all animes you have all eps from and also watched all of them. [EPs: 26/26, Seen: 26/26]
"Hide stalled": Hide all animes where you have watched all eps you have(, regardless of how many there are in total). [EPs: 13/26, Seen: 13/13]
I did a search and found this just after I made a post. I was going to go back and put it in, but you had beat me to it.
wahaha wrote:So, back to your original request:
egg wrote:What I was thinking is if the number of episodes in the title is 0, then use the actual number of episodes with a file to calculate if the Anime is currently complete.
That feature mainly needs one thing: A good name to not confuse it with (in-/)complete/viewed/stalled...
Integration it into "complete" might cause some confusion, especially with series that just started and only have very few eps.
Actually now that I understand things better, I think the best way of handling this is to change the show/hide area completely. What I would propose would be something like (the X's are check boxes that could be unchecked individually):

Code: Select all

Show Episodes:
X Incomplete     X All Available     X Completed

Show Seen:
X None Seen     X Some Seen     X All Have     X All Seen
Check boxes could also be used for the states, so I could see both Shared and On Hdd, but nothing else.

Hear are the meanings to the choices, some of the words should probably be changed, but this is what I came up with off the top of my head:
  • * Incomplete - number of episodes is less than the value in the episode description or that value is 0
    * All Available - number of episodes equals number of episodes that have a file attached (note which may be greater than the number of episodes listed in the description i.e. a movie with 2 files).
    * Complete - number of episodes is greater than or equal to the value in the episode description
    * None Seen - 0 episodes are seen
    * Some Seen - number of episodes seen is greater than 0, but less than number of episodes in the description
    * All Have (I don't like this name) - number of episodes seen is equal to the number of episodes the user has i.e. stalled
    * All Seen - number of episodes seen is greater than or equal to the value in the episode description
This allows all of the functionality today, plus much more flexibility. For the current options these are the items that would be unchecked in the above matrix:
  • * hide incomplete - uncheck incomplete, all available
    * hide complete - uncheck all available, complete
    * hide stalled - uncheck all have, all seen
    * hide viewed - uncheck all seen
Just an idea.

egg
Iceman[grrrr]

Post by Iceman[grrrr] »

I think it could be done relatively easily since it uses this kind of system but without checkboxes...
egg wrote: Check boxes could also be used for the states, so I could see both Shared and On Hdd, but nothing else.
That won't be possible though since this field must be associated only once to each episode... But things shared are always on HDD usually! Unless you want to kill your CD drive :lol:
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Iceman[grrrr] wrote:That won't be possible though since this field must be associated only once to each episode... But things shared are always on HDD usually! Unless you want to kill your CD drive :lol:
Huh? I don't think he's asking to filter for files that are both shared and onhdd, but for files that are *either* shared *or* onhdd. I would like that feauture as well, by the way.
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

Note:
Moved the other posts to Mylist: Advanced Filters in Feature Request, since egg later agreed on Elberet's suggestion ;)
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Thanks. ^^