creq content is modified if file is changed! [FIXED?]

already fixed bugs

Moderator: AniDB

Iceman[grrrr]

creq content is modified if file is changed! [FIXED?]

Post by Iceman[grrrr] »

I posted creqs to change the files of Neoranga to the AnimePitStop group.

Meanwhile, wahaha changed them to the group manually without using the creqs I did since we were doing it simultaneously...

My creqs are now changed! They are creqs for "source" instead of the group!

The history now shows:

Subbed by: Anime Pitstop Anime Pitstop
Source: DVD unknown

Previously it was

Subbed by: Unknown Anime Pitstop
Source: DVD DVD

The faulty creqs are : 1065-1071
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

Since I changed "source: DVD" and "group: APS" (both were "unknown") simultaneously, I think it's just that you first filed the creqs and I later changed the "comparison-base", so when the creq-changes were later compared to the current values, they had the old "unknown"-value for source.
(I guess a creq is a full set of file-info - if the file-data is meanwhile edited, the creq "suddenly" also includes to change the data back to how it was when the creq was filed.)

I started editing the files from ep1 onwards while you made the creqs from ep 32 backwards - seems like we just met somewhere ^^;

Possible solution:
Lock files for editing - even if it's the owner or a mod - while a creq is open.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Possible solution:
Lock files for editing - even if it's the owner or a mod - while a creq is open.
8O Now this can go so much more wrong than you think. ;)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well,

wahaha's problem description hits the point.
a creq is a complete copy of the original db entry.
so changeing the original db entry while the creq is pending can lead to invalid creqs.

however, I don't know if it would be a good idea to block all requests for an db entry (even for mods and owners) while a creq is pending.
on the other hand a mod would simply have to handle the creq first and an owner would have to wait a bit until a mod handled the pending creq.
so it might be the quick&dirty "solution" for the problem :P

BYe!
EXP
Iceman[grrrr]

Post by Iceman[grrrr] »

I guess that would be the solution!

Anyway, we should think about completely blocking owner direct edits (but allow creqs) after a creq has been granted... Imagine if the owner constantly changes what mods did by accepting creqs ?
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

Well,

now that's an interesting topic.
from the technical point this can be implemented easily, i.e. disallow direct edits by the owner of an entry as soon as it was once edited (creqed or edited by a mod) by someone else.

the question is if that is a good idea.

BYe!
EXP
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

It's not.

Sometimes, detailed infos about an anime don't become available all at the same time, and the owner of the anime record is most likely interested enough in it to look for these bits of information and update the AniDB as soon as they become available. And by all means, he should be able to do so without having to go through a CREQ, even if someone else contributed, for example, a better description.
Iceman[grrrr]

Post by Iceman[grrrr] »

that's ok until the owner disagree with what the mods are modifying!

it would only be a couple creqs more to accept... and as you said, since they are the most interested, their creq would be well complete with links to where the info came from so it won't take much mod time!

I don't mind not having it on but it could lead to problems later...
egg

Post by egg »

I don't really think that it is too much trouble for the owner to file a creq for a change, after a creq has been initiated. I mean if the change makes sense, so big deal if they have to wait a couple of hours for it to be approved. This will also make sure they do not make a change while a creq is pending (the original problem).

Although the chances of someone being particularly annoying and to keep changing things back after a creq is slim, implementing something like prevents it from being a potential problem.

If filing a creq was a lot of work, then I might have a different opinion, but it is simple, so why note make them do it. The benefits out weigh the hassle the owners have to deal with.
Iceman[grrrr]

Post by Iceman[grrrr] »

yes and anyway, filling a creq or a change is exactly the same except you have to wait a little until it is approved!