414: URi too long [NoBug]

already fixed bugs

Moderator: AniDB

Gambit
AniDB Staff

414: URi too long [NoBug]

Post by Gambit »

I was giving the AniDB hint a try after a long, long time and I checked the User Options. I had the min. weight of 250 changed to 1000 and used the 'strict' option.
The result I got was a
414 error: URi too long.

The url which appeared is added below:

some darn long evil link

Oddly enough, when I pressed back and then did it all over again, it worked. It doesn`t always work though, but wtf is it with that uberlong url?
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Funny. What browser? Most of them should have enough sense not to send keys with no value, let alone multiple copies of the same key.

Rar
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Firefox.
1.0.7, so a bit older version. And yeah, I should update it someday.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Just for the heck of it. I updated it to 1.5.0.3 (newest) and I get the same error, this time with this url:
some darn long evil link
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

I'd categorize this as a firefox bug...
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

The URL in IE:

some darn long evil link

This one does work though.
And also chokes at times:
some darn long evil link

I could give Opera a try too, but I expect it to work similar. Plus I don`t have Opera at work, so I`ll have to try it at home someday.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

I have no problems with any of those 4 urls in Opera actually.

I guess they really should change the form to POST instead of GET...
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

It works in my Firefox installation.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

I didn`t say it didn`t work, it just doesn`t always work. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn`t under the same circumstances.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

And I said it worked taking in account the same way you tested it (checked multiple times and no error). So, in my case it always works... not sometimes.
Caster

Post by Caster »

Gambit is behind some evil http proxy, maybe?

Anyway, that page is just krayzie. If you show the filters and submit, resulting URL is much shorter.

some darn long evil link

For some reason, hiding filter means javascript will replace its html with loads of <input type=hidden name="genremanor> with no value set... that's why they appear in the url. If you show the filter and click no checkboxes, they don't appear in the url of course. I don't understand why this crazy javascript innerHTML changing, and not just style.display = "none" / "block" to hide the filters, with triggering one hidden input which means "user has the filter hidden, ignore its values"
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

See http://petriw.com/creativity/rar/hint2_work.htm Caster, did some time before xmas, which sanitises the page (and halves the size). Just needs a few global vars for persistance, and of course, someone to rewrite the actual page generation code. Anyway, doesn't change the fact that sending the same value-less key lots of time from a form is contrary to some rfc or other.

Rar
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Jup, I am behind a proxy ... it`s work, after all. Shouldn`t make a difference for such a screw up, right?
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Of course it makes a difference.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Ooooh, of course! You are right! How could I be so stupid! Everyone should know that! </sarcasm>

De ... So, how exactly does being behind a proxy influence the attributes in the url? It would be useful if you would actually tell that instead of just stating I`m wrong and leaving me clueless about why I am wrong. Pretty helpful, indeed. If you don`t want to help, then don`t say anything. Image