Search for Group is handled as search for title [Fixed]

already fixed bugs

Moderator: AniDB

WillTRiker

Search for Group is handled as search for title [Fixed]

Post by WillTRiker »

Well, the topic says it all ... if you click on the grouplist and then try search you will find yourself on the Animelist with of course nothing being found.
ricce

Post by ricce »

The same goes for userlist
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

My fault.

[Edit: Actually, I've always thought of this as something of a misfeature, having a static part of UI vary its function without any indication that it'd doing it has deeply confused people in the past, and we've even had 'user search' feature requests because people just didn't know it exists. So, I'm tempted to suggest leaving this 'broken' and adding specific searches on the other *list pages]

Rar
ch0pss

Sorry

Post by ch0pss »

T_T I'm not sure why I didn't see the "Bug Reports" thread... Go me for being blind. Thanks Rar. <3

If I may make a suggestion, I believe it would be spiffy to add above the search bar "Anime Search" or "Group Search" and then change it back to what it was before, where it searched the selected field.

Lol, on a side note, I found that i was still able to search groups and even users by changing http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?s ... rch=search
to http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?s ... rch=search
or http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?s ... rch=search .
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Yes, I agree it's somehow confusing. A global anime search would be handy while adding specialized searches in other lists. :)
WillTRiker

Post by WillTRiker »

@ Ch0pps, that doesn't work m8 .... if you try and search for evil (as in Live-eviL) with that group link you put up you'll end up with a bunch of anime titles with the word evil in it.

@ Rar .... actually ... it allways made perfect sense to me :D
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

An option here (if exp is returnering) would be to change the form a little.

Rather than having a hidden dummy control that holds the the show parameter, and gets its value changed on different pages, like current:
<input type="hidden" name="show" value="animelist" />

Could make it an actual control, we selected value set either in the perl by exp or in js onload by me, and just hide it in the default style:
<select class="type" name="show" size="1">
<option value="animelist" selected="selected">anime</option>
<option value="grouplist">group</option>
<option value="userlist">user</option>
<option value="producerlist">producer</option>
</select>

One problem (apart from being a little more markup) is that as we've seen controling the style of form elements is a bit of a pain across different browsers, and a list box isn't exactly an easy or elegant way of switching between what you wan to search on.

Rar
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

i'd have no problem with adding that, if it would actually be of use in some other style.

BYe!
EXP
egg

Post by egg »

Rar wrote:a list box isn't exactly an easy or elegant way of switching between what you wan to search on.
That's the way the Firefox search field works. At first I thought it was annoying, but now that I am used to it, it is very handy to have the different searches available there...