Moderator: AniDB

s_i_m

Web: Main page layout looks wrong in Opera [CLOSED]

Post by s_i_m »

Look at this screenshot:
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Can't load the image but it's working fine for me in Opera. 8.10.
Amour

Post by Amour »

The screenshot displays Opera 7.54...
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Amour wrote:The screenshot displays Opera 7.54...
When he's online too, lol... mine.nu domain ><

Anyway, upgrade your Opera... Opera 8 should be available for your platform, it's available for all platforms 7.54 should be available for.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

opera 7.x is no longer officially supported :P

BYe!
EXP
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

by the way, s_i_m, you aren't using the css styling option of the anidb profile are you?
s_i_m

8.02 screenshot

Post by s_i_m »

It looks the same bad in 8.02 => Linux specific bug => will report to Opera developers.

To EXP: think before you type ;)

Here is the new screenshot:
hhaamu

Post by hhaamu »

It looks fine once logged in. I have also noted that the login input boxes are far too wide sometimes, making the layout deteriorate similarly. Perhaps some max-width css magic could fix it?
s_i_m

so, is it webmaster's fault or opera's fault?

Post by s_i_m »

hhaamu, do you mean that if you are not logged in you see similar bug in the layout? Which version of Opera you use? What is your platform?
hhaamu

Post by hhaamu »

I tested it on Opera 8.02 for linux. It's not my primary browser. I see a slightly annoying layout bug on Watersnake^WFirefox when I'm not logged in, though it becomes quite horrible if you press ctrl-+ to enlarge the fonts a bit.

Just log in, and set a custom CSS in your profile. The current html layout is pure carp, anyway.
s_i_m

so it is webmaster's fault

Post by s_i_m »

I do not understand you guys, you all try to escape somehow: admins blame Opera (however now it is more or less clear that the problem is in webmaster's poor skills), hhaamu tells to change the default CSS profile after logging in, cuz the current one is crap anyway...

Is not that better to correct that bug or, if you think that the default layout is crap, change it to something else?!
hhaamu

Post by hhaamu »

The issue is, how I perceive it, as follows:
  1. You have little chance of getting EXP to fix a minor error in the HTML in, well, a short time. If you really want it fixed, file a bug report at the tracker with a suggested fix
  2. The current layout anidb uses is broken HTML 4.0 and little CSS
  3. I think this is somehow linux-specific, probably a font rendering issue (in contrast to windows' font rendering engine. Anyone running OS X?). Someone should research this.
  4. There is an xhtml layout with custom CSS styles in the works; however, you must be logged in to activate it and set the "CSS URL" option in your profile.
There's one CSS mimicking the default anidb layout, plus there's another one for a simplish brown layout, or you could design your own.

-- hhaamu, who does not use the CSS styling option since it somehow makes anidb *less* accessible in text browsers in his opinion :roll:
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

This IS a linux issue. I can't test linux (and frankly I don't really care). Just check the edit boxes, they're way too big on linux for whatever reason. Or if you have a windows box compare the font sizes, not the same.
The guy who created the AniDB grey layout did NOT consider crossplatform issues, I hope my brown layout works on other platforms but hrm, no idea.

Anyway, the CSS stuff is very very not finished. I just haven't had time to fix it and NOONE else has taken the time to create a layout it seems (I use the brown one, maybe some day I'll ask exp to add more styles but as I need to maintain old stuff it's a pita as I have to create that too!).
AnimeOtaku

Post by AnimeOtaku »

I've got the same "problem" some minutes ago with windows and firefox, but....

I've changed the fontsize before(over ctrl and mousewheel) for better reading of some sites and when I came back to anidb it was the way as u see on that picture.

I think that the standard font size is wrong in your opera, but maybe also the linux fonts are just too big.
s_i_m

Post by s_i_m »

OMG :) I respect hhaamu, but others are just a bunch of kids playing in a sandbox.

hhaamu, unfortunatelly I do not have time to
1) read through their messy html
2) develop a CSS-based layout

I thought the admins could be interested in fixing this, cuz it was not just an Opera issue, and not just a Linux issue (if your layout breakes from changing default fontsize => go and learn some basics). Anyway, making more noise seems to be useless for the reason I mentioned in the beginning.