Display other users' mylists /w YOUR language pref [tracked]

already fixed bugs

Moderator: AniDB

lcalabrese

Display other users' mylists /w YOUR language pref [tracked]

Post by lcalabrese »

Currently, when viewing another user's mylist, it's displayed with their language preferences and not yours. This is only slightly annoying for me, since I'll just deal with romaji or English titles (although the English titles are sometimes *really* different than the Japanese ones and can throw me).

...but, since I use the kanji titles (and consequently the japanese sort order), this is downright frustrating for anyone trying to read my mylist and can't. One friend already cursed at me for using the kanji titles because he couldn't read it... :twisted:

Would this be too hard to implement? I assume it would need a change to the mylist display code to figure out who's actually viewing it, not just whose mylist it is.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

I`d rather have an option for each series (aka aid) to have a certain flag set where you can choose the title (english, japanese, romaji, or even alternative) you want to display for that series.
lcalabrese

Post by lcalabrese »

I like that idea. Then of course you'd need a default setting for what you want to do with anime that you haven't set.

Probably nothing to really worry about in terms of server space - if each of 100,000 users sets 100 title preferences, we're talking an additional 50MB (assuming you have to store a 4-byte aid and a 1-byte flag) - and it would be cool. (22.5MB if you can get the flag size down to 2 bits, and only use a 16-bit int for aid). Could be significant, but I doubt it.

Currently the mylist sort order would have no problem handling mixed title languages - japanese characters first in japanese order, then roman characters in english order.

Maybe there should also be an option to hide other titles from the anime page once you've chosen one. And of course, it would show this title (or your default if nothing's set) no matter who's mylist you are looking at. :wink:
egg

Post by egg »

Regardless what a user chooses for their own files (which should be a different topic), when someone else views MY list, they should see the language according to their preferences, not mine.

Now on the other topic...
Gambit wrote:I`d rather have an option for each series (aka aid) to have a certain flag set where you can choose the title (english, japanese, romaji, or even alternative) you want to display for that series.
This has too many settings. I would prefer to output a primary and a secondary language in parenthesis for me it would be:
English (romaji)
Some titles end up being pretty long, but this makes it so I can find things under either language and it does not have to be set for every anime.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Well, 2 settings would already help a lot. But it`s getting kinda tiresome when you see romaji when you only know the English title and seeing English titles when you prefer the romaji. It would be nice to at least make an option to at least be able to set those for each specific anime.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I think that too much parametrization will kill the DB. Is better to have in brackets or with small text bellow the other title you want.