[CGI]Movies and OVA's "till" exeption [NOBUG?]

already fixed bugs

Moderator: AniDB

litghost

[CGI]Movies and OVA's "till" exeption [NOBUG?]

Post by litghost »

As far as I understand OVA's and movies come out, and then they are there. Unlike TV shows they don't have a "till" date, and as such should instead have a release date(or nothing at all, perma vote as soon as it hits the DB).

Also because it seems either no, or some anime is getting updated with the new "till" date, why not make the setting if there is a "till" date, no perma vote till then, otherwise ignore. This database is a little big to go back through and find every release/till date. Why not make it non-optional for new anime, and make the old anime still function in the DB by only requering the "till" date to be passed for perma vote on anime that have the data?

Thanks for your time and efforts.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

OVAs are anime series that are not broadcast on TV but are only sold on DVDs. One of the most famous (for various reasons, not all good) examples would be the "Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki" OVA which has been running from 1992 until 2004, with 2 or 3 episodes per year.

However, I do agree that for such long-running OVAs, the blocking of permanent votes becomes a problem. Technically, the current AniDB anime entry for Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki spans four OVAs that were released under different names, so not being allowed to cast a permanent vote after having seen OVA1&2 and The Night Before The Carnival is somehow just not right.

Since most OVAs are like this, I wonder if it wouldn't be best to disable this new feauture for animes of that type and allow permanent votes to be cast at any time, regardless of the "till" field.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well,

i see no real problem here.
sure it will require work to add all those till dates, but ppl are doing it, so it's just a matter of time until most animes have those entries.
there might be some special cases where the exact release/end date are simply unavailable bc the anime is way too old.
I'll probably implement a workaround for those someday, however until then ppl should just get their lazy asses online and find the release dates for an anime if they want to perm. vote and it is not yet possible.
(NOTE: don't forget to add the source url for your release/end date info to the creq comment, otherwise it might be denied)

about the movies, the only "special" handling will be that X till Y becomes simply X if X==Y. if the entry is a movie, ova, ... doesn't matter.

about the long running OVAs, maybe the better solution would be to split them into multiple animes then. Bc if they're that far from each other ppl are probably better off voting for them seperatly anyway.

BYe!
EXP
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

For some reason, I'm having flashbacks about the Tenchi Muyo discussion in the Change Reqs forum... *grin*