[CGI]Prob. with " chars in episode title [FIXED]

already fixed bugs

Moderator: AniDB

analogued2

[CGI]Prob. with " chars in episode title [FIXED]

Post by analogued2 »

It seems Anidb has problems with "" characters if they are added to an episode title. There's also a problem with the Air/Release Date of an episode. If you enter values < 1970 strange things happen (this has been reported before but I now bring you a more detailed bug report; see: http://www.anidb.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1435 )

Do this:
1) Go to the Test Anime: http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb.pl ... me&aid=357
2) Add a new episode (use an episode number that's free)
3) Use this episode title: "Test Episode" (dont forget to include the quotes "", that's the whole point)
4) Use 01.01.1965 for Air/Release Date
5) Press Add/Edit
6) Go to that episode again and pres Edit ep

Results:
You will see that the title field is blank; it is not "Test Episode", the title you used. You will also see that the Air/Release Date is 0.

Conclusions:
Anidb has no problems storing these values in the databese. If you go to that anime after you add the episode you will see that it's title is indeed "Test Episode" and the Air/Release Date is indeed 01.01.1965. However, for some reason, when Anidb tries to retrieve these values in order to display them on the Edit page of an episode something happens.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

that a " character in fields causes problems is a know bug.
however this is not directly caused by anidb but rather due to the fact that a browser will interpret the first " it finds as the ending of the value string which is used to fill in values into the form fields.
well it's still an anidb bug though :P

the air date problem is new to me, i will look into that one.

BYe!
EXP
analogued

Post by analogued »

exp wrote:that a " character in fields causes problems is a know bug.
however this is not directly caused by anidb but rather due to the fact that a browser will interpret the first " it finds as the ending of the value string which is used to fill in values into the form fields.
I see what you mean... if you look at the HTML source of the Edit page you can see that the title you entered (with "") is there. I thought that it had something to do with Anidb

Anyway ... the solution to this is rather simple (in theory at least):
" can simply be replaced with " ... I don't know if you should do this when you first add the title (convert the " to " and store it in the databese as such), or store " as " (like you do now I think) and only convert it when you extract it in order to show it in a form field (that's where the problem is)

Hope this helps somehow :wink:
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

exp wrote: the air date problem is new to me, i will look into that one.

BYe!
EXP
*cough*

http://www.anidb.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... t=air+date

*cough*

^_^

I didn't say anything

^_^
analogued

Post by analogued »

Any update on this??

I've already mentioned the solution to the " character in titles problem in my last post: convert the " to " when adding the title to the database.... the problem with the dates however is an entirely different matter... did you find out what is causing it?
analogued

Post by analogued »

It seems that the old air date problem also affects the animes not just the episodes.... while trying to CREQ something on an old anime and later, when I tried to edit another one, the air date field was empty even though I definately remembered seeing a date there before CREQ-ing.
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

analogued wrote:It seems that the old air date problem also affects the animes not just the episodes....
Indeed. :?
To test it, I added a 1950-date to the test anime, but it shows as 0 on the edit-page.
analogued

Post by analogued »

Someone just accidentaly deleted the air of one of the movies I added (the episode) while trying to change the title. It would be nice if this were finaly fixed ;)

Also, off topic, I saw the date change due to an automated [EDIT NOTICE] message. It occured to me that these messages are not that useful since they are not detailed enough. It took me some time before I realized how things changed and how the date was now 0. Due to the fact that some of these changes may happen a long time after the file/anime was added, the original contributor that receives these messages may not find them useful enough since they don't tell HOW things changed; they only tell WHAT changed. Something like old value <-> new value would be great in these messages. I don't know if this has already been posted as a feature request or not and I'm too lazy to check right now. ;)

On another note... it's been a long time since I've been around here and it seems a lot of things have changed. :)
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

New mods... we should remind them about this problem. :P
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

I agree the bad handling of negative offset (pre 1970) dates could do with sorting, and making the notices give full report in the body of the message would be nice as well. In new mod defence... DerIdiot granted 500 creqs today... I think a few baka moments are understandable :)

Rar
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I don't think he is a baka, well he is one. :P
But anyway, it wasn't his fault but of other mods that didn't warn him about the problem.
CheesyP18

Post by CheesyP18 »

http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb.pl ... 84&nonav=1

I did exactly your procedure yet the quote char is working fine...
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

the date issue should be fixed now.

BYe!
EXP