latest reviews

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

alzheimer

latest reviews

Post by alzheimer »

Is it just me or does hardly anyone rate reviews anymore? For the three reviews I wrote within the last two months, I only received one vote. As opposed to reviews I wrote a year or longer ago which received several ratings each within a short time period.

This is just an assumption, but some time ago, there was a direct 'latest reviews' link in the AniDB menu. Nowadays you have to click 'latest', then find the 'reviews' link on that page (kinda hard to see if you don't know it's there) and click on that. Before, I checked for new reviews at least once a week, but nowadays I find myself hardly doing that anymore.

I'd kind of like to see more direct links in the menu that are important for the community (make more people rate other peoples stuff), and see less direct links that concern only oneself (all those my ... links). Or maybe even add another block to the Anime stats that lists the 10 latest reviews and their ratings or something.

Alternatively, how about making 'reviews' the default tab instead of 'files' when clicking on 'latest'. Is it really that interesting to know that there's a new raw release in realplayer format for some crappy hentai series?

I don't want to make AniDB into some Web 2.0 community portal, but there's not much point in writing reviews when nobody reads them anymore anyway.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

good point, we'll consider it.

BYe!
EXP
DonGato

Re: latest reviews

Post by DonGato »

alzheimer wrote:Alternatively, how about making 'reviews' the default tab instead of 'files' when clicking on 'latest'. Is it really that interesting to know that there's a new raw release in realplayer format for some crappy hentai series?
What?!
No fucking way... files are much more useful than shitty reviews.
It's only you have a different use for AniDB than the other 80% of the users (or maybe more).
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

DonGato wrote:What?!
No fucking way... files are much more useful than shitty reviews.
It's only you have a different use for AniDB than the other 80% of the users (or maybe more).
we don't plan to change the latest files page.
we're rather thinking about replacing top10 entries on the mainpage }:o)

BYe!
EXP
Bensam123

Post by Bensam123 »

You know you're talking about replacing the top 10... I think having a top 10 is essential, if not just to have one, even if it isn't entirely useful.

Here is a far fetched idea for that side panel. What about a top 10 of incomplete series (still airing) showing the highest temporary votes until the series completes or the greatest positive change in a series (temporary or permanent) over the course of a week? It would encourage people to check out series that may never hit the top 10 or might just be good watch.

There are a few side panels by the top 10 that are quite a bit less useful (which anime has the most users, which group has the most users). Not to say those shouldn't be available, but consider a statistics page or something.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

alzheimer wrote:Is it just me or does hardly anyone rate reviews anymore? For the three reviews I wrote within the last two months, I only received one vote. As opposed to reviews I wrote a year or longer ago which received several ratings each within a short time period.

This is just an assumption, but some time ago, there was a direct 'latest reviews' link in the AniDB menu. Nowadays you have to click 'latest', then find the 'reviews' link on that page (kinda hard to see if you don't know it's there) and click on that. Before, I checked for new reviews at least once a week, but nowadays I find myself hardly doing that anymore.
The same here, I don`t write reviews anymore due to circumstances, but I sometimes checked for reviews at least once a week/month and then went through around half of all reviews I saw. Nowadays I didn`t even know where to look :/

The Latest Reviews-link was imho one of the most useful links on the main page. It gave me usually between 2-5 votes within a week, whereas later on I still don`t have any votes after a month. So yeah, I second this request.
Bensam wrote:Here is a far fetched idea for that side panel. What about a top 10 of incomplete series (still airing) showing the highest temporary votes until the series completes or the greatest positive change in a series (temporary or permanent) over the course of a week? It would encourage people to check out series that may never hit the top 10 or might just be good watch.
Actually, having that Top 10 (and any other top 10s) resulted in people 'upvoting' or 'downvoting' particular titles (and groups) in order to create their own preferenced top 10. In the end, AniDB staff had to remove tons of double accounts which were simply made to vote for a particular title/group in order to make a title/group go up/down in the Top 10 list. Not to mention that it attracts tards who want to influence them. I think showing something which one is not able to influence would be more appropriate.
Bensam123

Post by Bensam123 »

That is true...

I just thought it would be sort of cool to bring new arrivals to peoples attention (my own included).

Edit:

What about freezing votes while an anime is on the top 10 and for a duration after it's removed from the top 10?

On the right side it would be also nice (if possible) if you could customize just finished to only display animes that have been just finished in your language (sub. dub).
HiEv

Post by HiEv »

FYI - First thing I see on the main page under "Latest Additions" on the right is now "Reviews". :)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well we'd rather not have any user-specific content on the main page, for performance reasons.

BYe!
EXP