Suggestion for the Video Quality Rating

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

DHAmoKK

Suggestion for the Video Quality Rating

Post by DHAmoKK »

hi there

the world goes high-definition, and i think its time, to add a star to the quality rating, when adding a file to an anime.
since there are more and more files upcoming with surround-sound and 720p resolution (720p is 1280x720 pixels / e.g. Ergo Proxy by s4u) a 4th star for hifh-definition files would be useful.

just my opinion, please tell me your thoughts.

DH
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

This encode goes all the way up to eleven.

Rar
hardjowikr

Post by hardjowikr »

Mhhm, from a very "reliable" source i've heard full hd support we be in the near future.

Full HD = 1920x1080
DHAmoKK

Post by DHAmoKK »

Sure, full HD will come, too ... but nearest is the "small" HD, 720p/i (p=full frame, i=interleaved) ... at this moment, most computer monitors support 720p (all 19" TFT and some better 17" CRT Monitors)
Perhaps, if full HD is upcoming, anidb could add a 5th star ... so 4 stars for small HD and 5 stars for full HD.

DH
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

Or you could just look at the resolution if you want to know the resolution.

It's not like the anime will be processed at that resolution so it's not really higher "quality". It just requires a more "l33t" computer and monitor.
DHAmoKK

Post by DHAmoKK »

@pelican
you're right, you can make full hd movies look worse than dvd or even analog tv ... but i think, the current system is just too stiff for the next-gen-resolutions.

there are already files, rated with 3 stars ... and defenitely look worse than a good encoded 720p file. what i mean is: there is only "best quality" ... so what about files, which look better then the "best"? do you want to "downgrade" thousands of files?

ok, another example: lets say, "near dvd" is 100%, three stars (and there are a lot of files, that really are that good). then hd-video would be at least at 120%. do you understand, what i'm trying to say? ^^
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

and you reallythink people will use it the way you want them to? forget it. they will abuse it the second it's in.

an old vhs encode from the mid90s? 5 STARS!
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

Mmm, love that VHS quality.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Hey, it's 5 stars VHS quality, almost Betamax! ;)
DHAmoKK

Post by DHAmoKK »

lol
ok ... super8 ownz all, k :P
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

I don't think extending the star rating is a good idea. The very system is kinda flawed anyway. As the value is set by whoever adds/edits the file. You can't really trust that value anyway.
The only case where it is really usefull is if it is set to <=2,5 stars, because then you know that something is wrong with that file.

If you want HD files, just look at the resolution info. In the planned rewrite of the anime page much more information will be available per file. That should make things even easier. In the long run we might also add a filter which hides all non-HD releases.
But right now the anime page rewrite is stalled indefinitely x_X

BYe!
EXP
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »