Voting System changes...

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

defsyfe

Voting System changes...

Post by defsyfe »

For the most part I seem to like the way it's working out and all... but the one thing is that group votes for team ups seem to be almost the entire top 10 for groups. I mean yeah KAA and Wannabe Fansubs did a great job on those School rumble eps, but they only released 4 eps... It's the same with a lot of group team ups. They usually co-op for only a series or two and a lot of times one group will drop the other mid way. In this sense having groups that team up in the top 10 is kinda pointless... How about baring Teamed up Groups from that listing? I mean I'd rather want to know who people think is better KAA or Wannabe then if people thought they were the image of perfection together.
MaccaSvenne

Post by MaccaSvenne »

I definitely agree on this. A team of groups that released four episodes for a series which they then dropped doesn't deserve first place no matter how good these episodes were, and that makes the current group rating system flawed...
juggen

Post by juggen »

this is stupid!
Couldn't they be the best subs even though its not finished???
Its not like their subs get any worse if they have dropped it?
And KAA's releases on School Rumble is the best! why should they deserve worse rating ???
MaccaSvenne

Post by MaccaSvenne »

Okay, I'll post my thoughts in a different way...

Juggen, do you seriously think that the collaboration between KickassAnime and Wannabe Fansubs, which resulted in a total of four released episodes, is the best group existing that have released any form of anime. Right now that is what the group rating top ten indicates and that is what I think is faulty...
I mean no disrespect to either of those groups, which I think are doing a great job in providing us with translated anime of high quality.

That rating would be better off counting towards each individual groups rating, but that is different question altogether.
dannywolt

Post by dannywolt »

i agree that it's rather pointless. i have no interest in knowing that KAA & WF's job on four episodes are rated the highest. a joint group shouldn't make the top ten unless they have a significant track record together
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

It was entirely possible for this to happen in the old system too, there just isn't a minimum files requirement.
goldenb

Post by goldenb »

PetriW
It was entirely possible for this to happen in the old system too, there just isn't a minimum files requirement.
Well I think that makes all the difference.

I don't know all the changes that were made in the voting system but I checked the other team ups in the top 10 and most of them have a record of dozens of episodes and more than a single project.
And please don't take me wrong i am an absolute KAA and School Rumble fan and I think those 4 eps really deserve to be put as some kind of model to other groups, but the real question here is that should a group/team up group release A SINGLE episode with the best overall quality ever would that group deserve to be in a higher position than other groups that have had an overall excellent quality in almost every episode they ever released and summing up hundreds of episodes?
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

the groupsystem needs a rewrite anyway. joints shouldn't be handled the way they are currently. that's a known limitation of the current system.
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

Filtering groups for the top ten by number of releases would be reasonable but I, for one, don't consider it important. Group ratings were never terribly meaningful anyway.
goldenb

Post by goldenb »

well yeah i know what you mean, but it doesn't hurt to reward a group's efforts with little "prestige" right? like being in the top 10, and i think that's why you even made one. Of course this provokes arguments like the one in this topic but well... that's just how it is