Empty Comments on Reviews

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

Miksa

Post by Miksa »

It would be good if there would be something like "Vote 1 [or 2 or 3] Reason: [XXXXXXX]". And then you could NOT give 1, 2 or 3 without a reason. Or then there should be "Rating: XX" and "Rating whitout 1,2 or 3: xx"
I know, I know, then there should be the same thing whit 8, 9 and 10...
Hoerie

Post by Hoerie »

Yes, then you could read the actual reasons tards have. I'm sure that would be very enlightening ;-)
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Which would probably a blank line, seeing it will accept spaces as input too. So you still haven`t gotten anything further ;)
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

even if you couldn't enter spaces then you would get "NT" "N/A" FU or heck knows. tards will never leave a valuable coment for ya. which is exactly why they are tards.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Der Idiot wrote:even if you couldn't enter spaces then you would get "NT" "N/A" FU or heck knows. tards will never leave a valuable coment for ya. which is exactly why they are tards.
Actually, so far the tardness limits itself to looking at the review and not voting for it. Of course there are some people who indeed give you a nasty comment like 'You didn`t understand it' and well, at least I understand that it`s a tard who didn`t like my review and doesn`t want to change his mind, but at least it is a comment.
I have never gotten any comments shorter than 5 characters - and with my number of reviews I think I`m a pretty good example :P
albinosqrl

Post by albinosqrl »

Gambit wrote: Actually, so far the tardness limits itself to looking at the review and not voting for it. Of course there are some people who indeed give you a nasty comment like 'You didn`t understand it' and well, at least I understand that it`s a tard who didn`t like my review and doesn`t want to change his mind, but at least it is a comment.
I get the "you didn't get it!" comments on my reviews as well...though with one of those, I also received a 10 in rating. That was a "wtf?" moment to be sure.

I don't think people are being tards for looking at reviews and not voting/commenting on them. I'd rather have no vote/comment than "FU GIMP RAWR" from hfreak12345lololol, ya know? As well, I tend to think that people who enjoy anime are always more likely to listen to the old adage "If you don't have anything nice (or constructive) to say, don't say anything at all".
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

albinosqrl wrote:I get the "you didn't get it!" comments on my reviews as well...though with one of those, I also received a 10 in rating. That was a "wtf?" moment to be sure.
Oh, you got some comments from chopper too? :D
albinosqrl wrote:As well, I tend to think that people who enjoy anime are always more likely to listen to the old adage "If you don't have anything nice (or constructive) to say, don't say anything at all".
I noticed I expressed myself wrongly ... I meant 'looking at the review, voting, but not leaving a message'. Sorry :(
albinosqrl

Post by albinosqrl »

Gambit wrote: Oh, you got some comments from chopper too? :D

I noticed I expressed myself wrongly ... I meant 'looking at the review, voting, but not leaving a message'. Sorry :(
Ah, yeah, chopper reviewed pretty much all of my reviews...commentary ranged from insane to schizophrenic. I kinda like the guy ;D

As for people voting without leaving a note, I personally don't mind that. I'd rather have a vote and no comment rather than no vote and no comment. Not all people are comfortable with their ability to write or communicate their opinion on things like this.
Cyrano423

Post by Cyrano423 »

albinosqrl wrote:
Gambit wrote: Oh, you got some comments from chopper too? :D
Ah, yeah, chopper reviewed pretty much all of my reviews...commentary ranged from insane to schizophrenic. I kinda like the guy ;D

As for people voting without leaving a note, I personally don't mind that. I'd rather have a vote and no comment rather than no vote and no comment. Not all people are comfortable with their ability to write or communicate their opinion on things like this.
Something told me to check my review's votes, and it was Chopper ... what does he do, sit and review reviews all day? lmfaooo. I agree with Gambit though, I don't really care if someone votes low on my reviews ... as long as there's a reason / comment. Everyone's entitled to their opinion but it's nice to know why they thought that.

*shrugs*
albinosqrl

Post by albinosqrl »

As a note on this, maybe fix something that pops up a reminder box when someone scores a review below 5. Quote the instructions text for scoring and warn them that they had better have justification for the score. Possibly disallow zero-length comments on scores of 1.

While I realize that this is probably a pain and unnecessary, I think that giving a little bit of extra protection to people who are contributing content in the form of reviews would be a nice thing if someone's got the time. :)
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Somehow this got sidetracked to reviews instead of voting ... so I`ll split this :)

Why would you get popup-boxes only on bad ratings? I think good ratings are just as handy imho.
albinosqrl

Post by albinosqrl »

Gambit wrote:Somehow this got sidetracked to reviews instead of voting ... so I`ll split this :)

Why would you get popup-boxes only on bad ratings? I think good ratings are just as handy imho.
Because the purpose of the popup is to make Johnny Mouthbreather take an extra quarter second to think "hrm, maybe I shouldn't rate this review as a 3 just because the reviewer didn't like this show, this wonderful show that I would have sex with if it had two legs. Or four."

And then he'll rate it 3 anyways because he's a gimp.

You don't really need to remind people of the rules if they're voting upper scores, as they are not usually hateful subhumans.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

albinosqrl wrote:Because the purpose of the popup is to make Johnny Mouthbreather take an extra quarter second to think "hrm, maybe I shouldn't rate this review as a 3 just because the reviewer didn't like this show, this wonderful show that I would have sex with if it had two legs. Or four."

And then he'll rate it 3 anyways because he's a gimp.
So, what exactly did you gain? :P
albinosqrl

Post by albinosqrl »

Gambit wrote: So, what exactly did you gain? :P
Self-righteousness? :D

But every once in a while you'll get someone who actually does manage to string two coherent thoughts together and changes their vote to something more realistic. That's worth the time, imo.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

That, or you`ll succeed in that person never again writing a review comment (or never writing negative review comments anymore) because he thinks it`s too much trouble to also bother with popup messages once you vote a low rating. Personally I would dislike it and consider not writing anything anymore if I want to give a low rating - which would result in me only writing something when I want to give a high mark.
Because - other than me, there are a lot of people who hate popups when they aren`t asked for. So either be consistent and do it always, or don`t do it at all, imho. I prefer not at all, though, since I just think it`s too much trouble in the end to be bothered by.