[DEL / LOCK] Content Quality Control

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

Cyrano423

[DEL / LOCK] Content Quality Control

Post by Cyrano423 »

Someone please delete this, or lock it or something. I noticed that this is quite redundant. Thanks. -Prasand

---

Upon checking the ratings for a recent review that I wrote, I noticed that one person rated it a 1. While low ratings were understandable, because I just wanted to jot down a few thoughts about it for my 'friends' when they are checking my anime list. This particular rating invoked a bit of curiosity, where the other low ratings stated reasons ... this particular person, merely copied and restated something I said.

Curiously I decided to check the person's page ... and they had no anime in their mylist, no reviews, or anything. It came to my attention that it was an account with the sole purpose of making low votes. Which I'm very familiar with due to the fact that I'm a developer on a few community sites (including myspace).

I wanted to propose a few ideas for rating quality control. While, I'm not one who will make many reviews ... upon seeing the other complaints due to fanboys, etc ... I figured others would benefit from this. Additionally, I thought that this might be something other would want to discuss, so I decided to make a forum about it before submitting a feature request on the tracker (didn't know where to post feature discussions, as the feature request section is barren).

---

Anime Ratings:
- If a user does not have more than 30% of the anime's episodes in their mylist the permanent rating should not be an option, if the anime is completed
--- Maybe 10% would be better, or 40, or 50 *shrugs* what do you think?

Episode Ratings:
- If the user does not have the episode in their mylist, rating it is not an option.
- If all files of the episode is removed within 24 hours of rating, the rating is also removed (can be a check routine added to the episode removal script).

Group Ratings:
- If the user does not have at least one (or two or something -- the number is a bit iffy) episodes from said group, the rating for that anime on the group's page should be disabled. In place of the form selection list, should be a message saying something like "you do not have any files from this group."
- The deletion of the episode, or anime generally should not remove the group ratin (because some users might only keep files in their mylist that they actually like). However, if the episode is deleted within an hour of voting the vote should be deleted (maybe half an hour).

Review Ratings:
- If the user has submitted no reviews, rating another's reviews should be disabled.
--- I'm iffy about this one because some people may never write a review but still might like a particular review which persuaded them to watch it. I thought to scratch this suggestion ... but others might want to discuss this (an alternative might be possible). It essentially follows the logic, "if you rate people poorly, but others cannot rate you poorly because you have nothing to rate ... you shouldn't be able to rate."

General Ratings:

- If a person has does not have any anime files in their mylist, they should not be able to vote / rate any item what so ever.
- The removal of votes / ratings should be a silent process.

Anyway, let me know what you think of these. Modify, add, do what you will ... hopefully this'll spawn some ideas. Looking forward to it. Thanks.

- Prasand J.
Last edited by Cyrano423 on Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Re: [DISCUSS] Content Quality Control

Post by Der Idiot »

what you basically propose is restricting users on what they have in their list. that's never gonna happen as it is too much hassle and forces users to do things they would normally never do. like you want to force me to write reviews to vote

aside of that tards WILL work around that.

I proposed a different approach for that which i won't discuss openly and it's hidden on the tracker for average users
Cyrano423

Re: [DISCUSS] Content Quality Control

Post by Cyrano423 »

Der Idiot wrote:what you basically propose is restricting users on what they have in their list. that's never gonna happen as it is too much hassle and forces users to do things they would normally never do. like you want to force me to write reviews to vote

aside of that tards WILL work around that.

I proposed a different approach for that which i won't discuss openly and it's hidden on the tracker for average users
Actually, no @ force ... I was just offering suggestions. Additionally, I stated that I should remove that suggestion ... because I personally don't agree with it since I don't write reviews, lol (it's in the fine print) ... but kept it because it might spawn other ideas. My actual perspective on the reviews is reflected in the Anime Comments topic I posted.

The only thing which is forced is the actual usage of their mylist which I figure is pretty much the purpose of the site. To me the rest is basic, "if you haven't watched a good portion of an anime, a vote about the anime overall would be premature. As such temporary voting, is permissable." That's as basic as the, "can't vote for an anime in it's entirety if the entire series isn't finished" rule which is already applied.

However, I do agree that people will merely find a way around it ... or will adapt. They'll just keep those anime files on their list, or will wait the time limit. Which is why I proposed that the removal of said votes be silent. I'm curious about the idea you came up with though. However, with that being private I guess I'll just ponder on it, lol.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

forcing people to keep a mylist is also not anidb's intention. some people are satisfied enough with keepign a list of their votes.
Cyrano423

Post by Cyrano423 »

Der Idiot wrote:forcing people to keep a mylist is also not anidb's intention. some people are satisfied enough with keepign a list of their votes.
I neglected those who merely use the site as an informational resource.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Cyrano423 wrote:Anime Ratings:
- If a user does not have more than 30% of the anime's episodes in their mylist the permanent rating should not be an option, if the anime is completed
Der Idiot wrote:forcing people to keep a mylist is also not anidb's intention. some people are satisfied enough with keepign a list of their votes.
I neglected those who merely use the site as an informational resource.
Lots of people don`t maintain a MyList. Some of these still write reviews or vote for anime while not having a MyList, but AniDB`s MyList is not the main point of usage.
Cyrano423 wrote:Review Ratings:
- If the user has submitted no reviews, rating another's reviews should be disabled.
Lots of people I get comments from have never written a review. And those comments are already rare; if you restrict this, you won`t get any comments at all, I`m afraid.
Cyrano423

Post by Cyrano423 »

Gambit wrote:Lots of people I get comments from have never written a review. And those comments are already rare; if you restrict this, you won`t get any comments at all, I`m afraid.
Yeah that's the same one Der Idiot made mention of ... but although I typed it it's not one I actually agreed with, was just a passing thought which I decided to extend anyway. Personally I voted for two reviews prior to writing my first review. My actual idea concerning the reviews was posted in the other topic.

Though after reading multiple topics about the votes / ratings system ... I realized that many of these suggestions were already brought up, making this forum quite redundant (hence the request to lock it, or delete this forum topic). Especially since there has already been extensive discussion about this subject.

*shrugs*