Voting system update suggestion

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

airsBlue

Voting system update suggestion

Post by airsBlue »

the first suggestion:

anyone voted the final vote their temp vote get deleted automatic.
or delete the temp vote after the series is finished.

the second suggestion:

vote wieght:

i think when voting on an anime series people who watched more anime thier vote should have more effective than those who only watched one or two series.
example:
someone how watched 10% from anidb and someone who watched 1% when voting to anime series the one who watched 10% his vote should be stronger than the other one, because simply he watched more anime and ( in most case he have better exp. )
suppy

Post by suppy »

the first suggestion:

anyone voted the final vote their temp vote get deleted automatic.
or delete the temp vote after the series is finished.
1: if someone perm votes the temp vote gets deleted automatically already.
2: I don't agree that the tempvote should be moved to permvote automatically because I for one check my mylist and when I see a small exclamation mark next to an un-perm-voted finished anime, I know that I need to rate it. most of the time I do rate it just after watching the last episode. and more often than not, the temp vote needs to be changed to reflect what I thought of the ending. so moving the tempvote to permvote in the few cases where I need to think before voting, I would no longer see the exclamation mark in mylist and thus I wouldn't know I needed to review my vote for it.
the second suggestion:

vote wieght:

i think when voting on an anime series people who watched more anime thier vote should have more effective than those who only watched one or two series.
example:
someone how watched 10% from anidb and someone who watched 1% when voting to anime series the one who watched 10% his vote should be stronger than the other one, because simply he watched more anime and ( in most case he have better exp. )
I believe this has been suggested before, mostly in relation to all the tards registering an account just to vote 1 on one of the top 10 in order to get something else in the top 10. This is most often balanced by all the other tards who vote 1 for that show in order to keep their show in the top 10. Outside the top 10, I think this doesn't happen very often. And basing someone's opinion on how much they have watched ... it would require a total rewrite of the vote system I believe, and probably it would require too many cpu cycles -_-; I'm not holding my breath for this one, though I agree with you that it could prove a good idea.
airsBlue

Post by airsBlue »

about the temp vote, i don't know if thier get deleted or not but lets gorget about them ..

about the vote weight:
i don't know about the cpu cycles or how to collect them but here is an idea how to collect the vote:
anidb already collecting how many percentage u watched in (my place) althought i prefer if they include decimal. anyway all we need to do is to add the percentage of ur watched anidb

if someone watched 100% and voted for a series it is like 100 people vote for this series with the same vote.
if someone watched 50% and voted -> 50 people with the same vote.
if someone watched 10% and voted -> it is like 10 people with the same vote.
if someone watched 1% -> 1 person vote
if someone has les than 1% -> his vote are useless ;)

i don't know if this take too mush of cpu cycle but i really hate when someone crush series he hate or make his series top.

althought if someone with high anidb watch rate voted he can kill a series by him self but i don't think someone who watched that mush will bother in doing that.
and it is useless to take how mush u have because thiers people who only gathering anime without watching...
anyway i think the vote system need update, i don't know how but it need an update
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

% based votes would help the db, pokemon, yu-gi-oh, sailormoon, all other asslong series watcher which are in 9/10 cases not really the people you want to listen to. which means that calculation wouldn't help. (% watched of anidb is calculated by: watched episodes/total files * 100) besides even i only have 26% and i'm # 4 in anidb of watched stuff

if you want a somewhat good value you would need to use total votecount and possibly average vote for sanity check. also people with less than 100 votes should just get the lowest possible level aka 1. for reducing load.

anyway your basic concept is to have some uservote "karma" this could get calculated once per update or per month possibly to reduce load. I'm not entirely against it, but this really needs some good equation for generating this value and exp needs to check how much load this would need. though the new server should have enough power for this.
airsBlue

Post by airsBlue »

umm lets see,
if u have db, pokemon, yu-gi-oh, sailormoon, digimon and the other asslong series how mush percentage its going to give for u !!? i don't know since i am not anidb stuff but can it give u more than 3% ??
anyway what i meant by the previous post:
consider a series with 100 poeple voted and total vote 8, u with 26% hated it and gave it 5
(26 * 5 + ( 8 * 100)) / (100+26) = 7.38 -> thats the new vote after ur voting .. that basically my idea althought i maded it simple cause i hated complicated thing, and i don't think it will need a huge cpu cycle.. well i don't know maybe creating karma would be better .

by the way u said:
(% watched of anidb is calculated by: watched episodes/total files * 100)
does that mean if i have an anime from defferent groups all of those eps are collected in %watched, i know that their size are collected, but isn't it better to create a counter for anime series watched counter plus the old one.
we have anidb watched:
so if u can create percentage for total anime series watched (means to collect the anime u finished watching aginst anime u still or didn't watch).

by the way said u watch 26% of anidb and in number 4 ... how can i know my rank in anidb watched .. i don't think thier is sorting for the user based on how mush u watched ?
airsBlue

Post by airsBlue »

also about temp vote, suppy said:
I don't agree that the tempvote should be moved to permvote automatically because I for one check my mylist and when I see a small exclamation mark next to an un-perm-voted finished anime, I know that I need to rate it. most of the time I do rate it just after watching the last episode. and more often than not, the temp vote needs to be changed to reflect what I thought of the ending. so moving the tempvote to permvote in the few cases where I need to think before voting, I would no longer see the exclamation mark in mylist and thus I wouldn't know I needed to review my vote for it.
after reading i think i agree with him althought i think i will be nice to update the temp vote, know i have two strange idea to update the temp vote (i think it should be primelly)

1- make instead of ( temp vote, prime vote), 4 votes:
1st impression: for the fist quarter of the naime series
2nd quarter vote: (appear after quarter of the anime ep released)
3rd quarter vote: (appear after at least half of the eps released)
final vote: (appear when the anime end)
using this way for voting can help people to get better idea about anime, some people hate the first eps and decide to quit watching the anime and some stop at half... this way will help them get better idea about where the anime get better or if it doesn't even worth watching)

2- insted of using temp vote or the upper idea, we can vote for the ep giving each ep a vote that way we can create a curve telling us where was the best ep and worst ep.

and it will really be good if we where able to get karma for voting.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

by the way said u watch 26% of anidb and in number 4 ... how can i know my rank in anidb watched .. i don't think thier is sorting for the user based on how mush u watched ?
nope and thats an internal stat. anyway point was most people haven't seen that much and are ~3-5% i would bet. number of episodes is hardly a good value for a good "karma" value. someone smart needs to think of a good algorythm for that or it's rather pointless to even think about implementing.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

I dunno, I know people who've got votes for... 698 series... and *still* are stupid enough to give 10s to Seikai no Monshou, Seikai no Senki, Seikai no Senki II, Juuni Kokuki, Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan - Tsuiokuhen, Hikaru no Go, Card Captor Sakura, Azumanga Daioh, Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku, Furi Kuri, Hajime no Ippo, Boogiepop wa Warawanai, Mugen no Ryvius, Hotaru no Haka, Mimi wo Sumaseba (okay, this one is fair), Gekijouban Card Captor Sakura - Fuuin Sareta Card, and Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu.

Personally, I just think we need to delete spamvote accounts, and be done with it. As slapping didn't work.

Rar
suppy

Post by suppy »

airsBlue wrote: 1- make instead of ( temp vote, prime vote), 4 votes:
1st impression: for the fist quarter of the naime series
2nd quarter vote: (appear after quarter of the anime ep released)
3rd quarter vote: (appear after at least half of the eps released)
final vote: (appear when the anime end)
using this way for voting can help people to get better idea about anime, some people hate the first eps and decide to quit watching the anime and some stop at half... this way will help them get better idea about where the anime get better or if it doesn't even worth watching)

2- insted of using temp vote or the upper idea, we can vote for the ep giving each ep a vote that way we can create a curve telling us where was the best ep and worst ep.
about this, we already have ep votes. you just need to use them ;) and I think ep votes is a much better idea than quarter votes ^^;
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Rar wrote:I dunno, I know people who've got votes for... 698 series... and *still* are stupid enough to give 10s to Seikai no Monshou, Seikai no Senki, Seikai no Senki II, Juuni Kokuki, Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan - Tsuiokuhen, Hikaru no Go, Card Captor Sakura, Azumanga Daioh, Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku, Furi Kuri, Hajime no Ippo, Boogiepop wa Warawanai, Mugen no Ryvius, Hotaru no Haka, Mimi wo Sumaseba (okay, this one is fair), Gekijouban Card Captor Sakura - Fuuin Sareta Card, and Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu.

Personally, I just think we need to delete spamvote accounts, and be done with it. As slapping didn't work.

Rar
The ratio of 10 votes compared to total votes isn't exactly staggering though.
airsBlue

Post by airsBlue »

about this, we already have ep votes. you just need to use them Wink and I think ep votes is a much better idea than quarter votes ^^;
wow.. if u didn't tell i would never have noticed ... and it is really well hidden, i think almost all of the user don't know about it ...
isn't it better to show it between date <-> Users, most of people prefer to know the rate of the ep more than when it was released or how many people have it

by the way Rar:
some of the series i mentioned are good and i really like them maybe even watch them a lot of time but i won't give 10 ofcourse, but they shouldn't get less than 8.5 i think...

anyway i watched 16% of anidb but i really wanted to know who mush the top people watched ( specially those with more than 3 TB ) :?:
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

I'm clearly a n00b, only 9% watched.
Sneak

Post by Sneak »

Nah, leave the n00bing to the 2%-ers

As for the voting system, the current way doesn't match my personal taste at all. It seems now as that any anime with a score between say 7.5 and 7.25 is a middle-range anime. That should be at 5.0 or there about.

And I keep having to lower the total score of an anime I liked a lot (like voting 8 for School Rumble, and 8 does stand for "very good", which matches my opinion well...)

I wouldn't mind a global vote reset :P
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Sneak wrote:I wouldn't mind a global vote reset :P
I'd be really pissed if there was a global vote reset.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

PetriW wrote:
Sneak wrote:I wouldn't mind a global vote reset :P
I'd be really pissed if there was a global vote reset.
/me as well. -_-;

Let's see... you can have a 10~30% (30% being exaggerated IMO) of 10 votes but having more than half of them is not possible at all IMO.