Bad reviews - What to do about it? Suggestions here.

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

zaufany

Post by zaufany »

I explain my moderator conception. I'm against any editing. The review is the personally opinion. However, this opinion has to be useful for other members. We don't need a spam. Th moderator should only delete the spam.

If we decided to have two reviewing groups, it will take much work. We should find every reviewer it the sea of spamers. The open group should not be a place to put spam in. It should be a place to find a good reviewers.
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

ok..what we currently have is a lot of discussions but no outcome whatsoever..
I think we all agree that the spam "Best anime ever all 10’s" reviews should be removed cause they are not useful and only mess up the average review rating which is also inperfect since it takes into account all 6 categories when it should only depend on Value and Enjoyment, or if thats too little them also Characters and Story, but certainly not Animation nor Sound..I think there already was a thread concerning this problem so im quite off-topic here :P

what I ask is...shall the mods (mainly Gambit) start "loosing" the spams or not, as it seems to me all agree on that, altough I cant quite figure out what DonGato is thinking :D
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

phew!

what shall I say? All of you have good points and valid concerns.
It's not as if i could just say we do it this way or that way.
I simply don't know myself how we should handle this.

but i guess there are some basic things we all agree on:
1) there has to be some text on what is important when writing a review directly below or over the add review text box and a link to the review guidelines
2) there should be a minimum length of text entered and any shorter reviews should be rejected automatically when entered. the question here is what should this minimum length be?
3) reviews with all 1 should be rejected with a polite message that no anime can possible be that bad

Aside from that it get's difficult.
I think the simplest version would be to allow "was this review helpful: yes/no" voting and to sort the reviews by the results of those votes, meaning the reviews with the most yes votes on top.
any edit would reset the votes to 0.

BYe!
EXP
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

exp wrote:phew!

what shall I say? All of you have good points and valid concerns.
It's not as if i could just say we do it this way or that way.
I simply don't know myself how we should handle this.

but i guess there are some basic things we all agree on:
1) there has to be some text on what is important when writing a review directly below or over the add review text box and a link to the review guidelines
2) there should be a minimum length of text entered and any shorter reviews should be rejected automatically when entered. the question here is what should this minimum length be?
3) reviews with all 1 should be rejected with a polite message that no anime can possible be that bad

Aside from that it get's difficult.
I think the simplest version would be to allow "was this review helpful: yes/no" voting and to sort the reviews by the results of those votes, meaning the reviews with the most yes votes on top.
any edit would reset the votes to 0.

BYe!
EXP
2) What about 100 characters? It`s easy to get to that, and 100 is too much for the people who just want to do a quick review. I believe 100 should be sufficient enough to create a 'decent' review.
[edit] these sentences are already 100 ... better make it 300-500 then.
3) You`ll still end up with some people who`ll have to check all reviews to see if there aren`t people who voted 5x 1 and 1x a 2.

Well, if you can implement that yes/no/dunno vote, it would be a great improvement.
Still, I think it would be useful if there would be a few 'professional' reviewers. Those people try to review everything they`ve seen in a good way (themug, petriw, nwa, etc) and should be 'ranked' with a title or something. Like 'professional anidb reviewer', so people know that they try to review lots of anime.
Or perhaps I just like that idea and you guys all want to kick my ass by now because I keep going about it :P
zaufany

Post by zaufany »

The limit:
I think 250 chars should be the minimum. This will exclude only "Best anime ever all 10'a".

The short voting
It can be useful. On the other hand, voting voting is stupid. However, we should do something.
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

Gambit wrote:2) What about 100 characters? It`s easy to get to that, and 100 is too much for the people who just want to do a quick review. I believe 100 should be sufficient enough to create a 'decent' review.
[edit] these sentences are already 100 ... better make it 300-500 then.
I think 100 is enough...there are animes which can very easily be described with only 100 words..and you wouldn't even be able to write more than 100 words for certain animes...like for instance X OVA or Chrono Trigger, well...in the last one I even wrote less than 100 words..but so did themug :P so I guess we will be both deleted from there :D
I think that even 250 chars would scare off most ppl...but if you must than 250 should really be the limit..not 300-500 8O I'd need to edit some of my reviews tho...
Gambit wrote:Still, I think it would be useful if there would be a few 'professional' reviewers. Those people try to review everything they`ve seen in a good way (themug, petriw, nwa, etc) and should be 'ranked' with a title or something. Like 'professional anidb reviewer', so people know that they try to review lots of anime.
Or perhaps I just like that idea and you guys all want to kick my ass by now because I keep going about it
I like the idea also...mostly cause my name was mentioned also :P
so don't worry..I'll back you up on that one :D
my recommendations for the "professional anidb reviewer" would be Gambit, themug, petriw, nwa, requiem, bman
did I mention myself?..ohh I guess I did :P
ok I know that none of you guys know requiem but I know him very good, hell..I even converted him into an otaku...he used to think that NGE was the best anime out there untill I enlightened him with other titles, anyway, I think he writes good reviews..mostly...excluding the sns review :roll:
and bman...only 4 reviews so far..but they all are very long and detailed...the longest I have seen yet
oh and Gambit, you can be a mod and a "professional anidb reviewer" at the same time..you dont have to be so modest and not mention your name :D
zaufany

Post by zaufany »

This was the best anime I have ever seen. The animation was great. The sound was great. The story was great. The characters was great. Everything was great. You should watch this one.

Is it a review? It contains 183 characters.
kidan

Post by kidan »

I think there should be some Mods who can turn a normal review into an approved review. Which leads to two review-categories. Of course approved rewiews would be listed before unapproved ones (additionally there could be a ranking in each group to sort the reviews further).

That way there is no censor-ship and we could add some nice new stats like most approved / appreciated reviewer.

For internal handling there should be 3 categories (approved / new / disapproved), so that review mods could easily see which reviews to check next. Of course only the approved reviews would be put in front of ther other ones (and marked with some special icon).

I think this system combines the advantages of friendlyness, open reviewing, crap-sort-out without censorship and not to much hassle to implement [@exp: additional state-field for a review and some new edit-functions for this].

As stated earlier I'd volunteer for a review-mod. As I can be very objective and would never ever disapprove a review which flames my favourite anime. But if a review could be helpful to people it will be approved.
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

Well, I don't see why one or multiple mods should decide who'll be an "approved reviewer" or not - if a user-rating for reviews is installed, you can simply calculate such, which is much less subjective.

If mods could bump reviews to the top or give them a special label, you'd in fact make them "professional review-voters" whose vote counts more those of the other users, which I don't really like :roll:.
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

zaufany wrote:This was the best anime I have ever seen. The animation was great. The sound was great. The story was great. The characters was great. Everything was great. You should watch this one.

Is it a review? It contains 183 characters.
this is so irritating..I didn't notice we were talking about characters..cause I was talking about words so 100 words would be enough IMO..not characters...
who counts the lenght of the reviews by characters anyway? :?
zaufany

Post by zaufany »

nwa wrote:who counts the lenght of the reviews by characters anyway? :?
The computers. It is much easier to implement.
BMan

Post by BMan »

what about 1500 chars minimum? or 1750?
my shortest review is about 1900 chars (with spaces)...
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

I'd prefer 500 words, but that one should better get its own poll instead ;)

EDIT: My bad, I meant characters ^^;; It derived from the old 100-words-suggestion while rougly assuming an average of 4-5 characters per word.
Last edited by wahaha on Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zaufany

Post by zaufany »

Are we speaking about length in words or characters?
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

I think it started with characters then someone started mentioning words. :roll: