[ALL-REQs] Categories (new genre system)

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

Well, if you can show me how. As far as I know only mods can add categories. Someone said that somewhere. Rar I believe.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

guess that means you don't see that when you click on the Categories button on the animeentries:

have to kick exp to add it for normal users now
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

But isn't there a possibility it will all get clogged up. When I'm zifting through the database sometimes I see an anime with like 10 genres. Or are the only ones who can change/add the categories the owners of the entry?
Elias

Post by Elias »

Der Idiot wrote:
Elias wrote:At least some guns. Maybe then also moving Western under it as
Action::Guns::Western
wouldn't military require moving in that case as well? the Military section is meant for modern military right? if yes then there are definitely guns involved.
though in both cases the japanese might just do something that doesn't involve guns just for the heck of it and to annoy us ^^;
Western without guns? Possible, but would be very boring. I think western in definition involves some gunfire.

Military is other thing. Of course there are guns, but its only small subset of military weapons. There are also missiles, artillery, tanks and other vehicles, ships, planes, helicopters, mines, nukes ...
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

But aren't there military anime with swords and stuff like that? First think about that before moving the military category. Haven't seen one though so I guess I have to ask somebody else about that.

EDIT: Berserk and Record of Lodoss War maybe? Don't know if these are really considered military anime.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

normal users should now be able to add categories to animes.
once enough categories have been added change will become creq-only based. but for now all changes are done directly.

BYe!
EXP
TechNiko

Post by TechNiko »

It would be nice to resume actually explain how they work though, I haven't been following this thread sicne the begginning and i'm not even sure if i'll find all the answers here. It could take a while to read everything.

What's Chained-Add specifically ?
Can you overwrite what other people did or is it different for every user?
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

TechNiko, can I request you either read this thread or leave the audience tree well alone? Which Under Robing particularly is a giant mess of wrongness.
Chained Add is good, and you should as a rule always tick it. And I suspect you can't overwrite the work of others, but feel free to try and report back.

Rar
TechNiko

Post by TechNiko »

Yes Rar thanks for the link to your thread. I've read it carefully and corrected every entry i've made so far.
Already-added categories cannot be edited/deleted by users: comfirmed.
Here's a useful link, show recent category changes: http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?s ... ry&max=100
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

TechNiko wrote:Already-added categories cannot be edited/deleted by users: comfirmed.
they can't?
i thought that is possible.

BYe!
EXP
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

I can delete my own entries. I can't delete someone else's entries though.
TechNiko

Post by TechNiko »

Yah, only those the user created himself can be modified. Sorry for the confusion.
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

GunGrave

If you look at the categories here, the categories genre, setting, audience and characters are separately shown. Please wipe em :).
TechNiko

Post by TechNiko »

I did the GunGrave one that way, along with about 20 other series. They can just disable these categories completely so it's not a problem, and it's been suggested to do it that way by Rar.
Elias

Post by Elias »

Origin::other anime
for remakes, like Area 88

Characters::People::Soldiers
needed for military animes

Characters::People::Soldiers::Pilots
more specific for air combat titles