[ALL-REQs] Categories (new genre system)

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

Andemon

Post by Andemon »

sjabbie wrote: And I really do think that every sports anime should have a category of it's own.

Genre::Action::Sports::American Football
Genre::Action::Sports::Go
Genre::Action::Sports::Ping Pong

But AFAIK, for each of them there's only one anime made.
If you don't want categories with only one anime, maybe you could do it like this:

Genre::Action::Sports::Other
I second that.
My point of view is that the main topic of any anime should always be categorized, even if it's the only one with that category. fe. Hikaru no Go definitely should be categorized with Genre::Action::Sports::Go. After all, it's what that anime is about; seems kinda silly to not to categorize it...

If that isn't acceptable, however, then at least do create that Genre::Action::Sports::Other as a catchall for all those less common sports...
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

I strongly disagree... A category is just that, something with more than one meaningful entry, when we have a glut of different Go anime, we can add sport::go as a category then. As for ::other - it's utterly redundant. The whole point of the tree system is to avoid such silliness, by making it valid to add ::sport but not one of the child nodes - this *is* the 'other sport' state.

Rar
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

But if you add action::sports to, for example, hikaru no go and you go to the category page and click on Genre::Action::Sports wouldn't it then show the entire sports section? That wouldn't be usefull then, would it?

I think there should be an exception made for these anime, simply because it's the main category.

I mean if someone is interested in a go anime, then he still have to search through the sports section.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

But... there *aren't* any more Go anime... And it's only sports by stylistic convention, not... sportiness.

Rar
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

I know that there's only one go anime, that's why asked for an exception.

There's also one american football anime and only one ping pong anime. I know you can't fill in every category there is but because the main themes are the sports that are being played, so there could be an exception made.

Should I maybe post a poll for this one?
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

So you think it's useful to click on 'other', looking for more go anime, and get american football and ping pong?

To clarify:
- Colours
|- Red
|- Green
|- Beige

is fine, to add:
|- None of the above
at the bottom is 'wrong' within in this system. Adding an additional leaf for every case would be 'right', but is redundant and creates unnessersay filler for the interface.

Rar
lightningfast35

Post by lightningfast35 »

Setting::Place::Country::England

Ex. (Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma / Victorian Romance Emma)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

Rar wrote:I strongly disagree... A category is just that, something with more than one meaningful entry, when we have a glut of different Go anime, we can add sport::go as a category then. As for ::other - it's utterly redundant. The whole point of the tree system is to avoid such silliness, by making it valid to add ::sport but not one of the child nodes - this *is* the 'other sport' state.

Rar
which might not be what the userbase wants after all.
as was already said here, the main problem with just adding genre::action::sports to hikaru no go would be that clicking that genre would list almost all sports animes (remember: every anime anime which is mainly centered around sports should also have the genre::action::sports category added!).
keeping that in mind a subcategory like ::Other might be a good idea after all.

and everything which has >=2 animes should deserve it's own subcategory.

as a general rule for the moment i'd say, if in doubt, rather add a category than ignore it. we can do the cleanup at a later date.

BYe!
EXP
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

@Rar It's better to search through action::sports::other category then action::sports.

Then you have to search through a couple of anime ;).

And maybe thet category Genre::Action::Sports::Driving::Streetrace could be added. Example: Initial D
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

It's still systematically 'wrong'. If you want the functionality, you should bug exp for find (node) and not (leaves of node), rather than adding a phantom category. Which is 'wrong', 'wrong', 'wrong'.
As for not worrying to much about over-adding leaves, sure. But all my excluded sports leaves are where there is literally only one anime, so that's following your rule.

Rar
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

Rar wrote:bug exp for find (node) and not (leaves of node), rather than adding a phantom category.
What do you mean? Maybe I will ;).
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Type of search that would allow you to search for all anime with ::Sports, but without any of ::Sports::*. Good idea, but I think it would be not exactly obvious for average user.
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

I think that's nice as well. But like rowaasr13 said, it's not pretty obvious. I can't think of a nice solution then :S.

And another category by the way:

Characters::Mystical Creatures::Devils

Devil man (about 4 entries)

And what about this?

Characters::AI::Androids
SciFi::Mecha::Androids

I don't think it's necessary to add two androids categories.
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

sjabbie wrote:And what about this?

Characters::AI::Androids
SciFi::Mecha::Androids

I don't think it's necessary to add two androids categories.
yeah, the objective is to add only one type of cat.
Andemon

Post by Andemon »

Rar wrote:It's still systematically 'wrong'. If you want the functionality, you should bug exp for find (node) and not (leaves of node), rather than adding a phantom category. Which is 'wrong', 'wrong', 'wrong'.
That'd work.
Consider exp bugged. ...and since you feel so strongly about it, I retract my request for Genre::Action::Sports::Other -- which, however, was already added...

My view of categories is very biased anyway, so perhaps you should ignore what I say about how they should work. My years as a librarian tell me that everything -- absolutely everything -- should be categorized with utmost detail, and to hades with >=2 limit for new categories. -_-;

Anyway...
Few new categories:

Characters::People::Musicians

Sero Hiki no Goshu, Violinist of Hamelin,...

Characters::People::Musicians::Band

BECK, Kachou Ouji,...

Characters::Animals::Hamsters

Hamtaro, Oruchuban Ebichu,... -_-;