[ALL-REQs] Categories (new genre system)

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

Andemon

Post by Andemon »

Der Idiot wrote: besides the ones which Andemon already considered obsolete/needing discussion i was wondering about those:
Genre::Action::Military::WWII <-- isn't that setting and not a genre?!
Genre::Action::Military::Fighters <-- fighters?
Genre::Food <-- food a genre? :/
Quite.
I didn't know what to do about those, so I said nothing. There's just no good place for any of those.

Oh, wait -- howabout Setting::Time::Past::Historical::WWII instead of Genre::Action::Military::WWII? Sounds right to me, though that's quite a few branches... -_-;

...and Genre::Cooking instead of Genre::Food, perhaps? Though do we actually need a category for cooking or food, anyway? There's that one anime which name I can't remember that's about breads, then there's Cooking Master Boy, and Kogepan, and... Not a whole lot of them, really.
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

Setting::Time::Past::Historical::WWII is already a category. Genre::Action::Military::WWII is a category I just blurted out without thinking. Can't think of any examples except Zipang, which isn't enough.

And Genre::Cooking is needed IMO. Yakitate Japan and the 2 examples from Andemon. So that should be enough at the least.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

Genre::Cooking
added
Andemon

Post by Andemon »

(Hm. Speaking of cooking -- I just noticed that クッキングパパ (Cooking Papa) doesn't seem to be listed in the AniDB. Anyone feel like adding it? If not, I suppose I'll have to do it... -_-)

Anyway, back to the topic of Genre::Fantasy::. Since no one commented on what I wrote before, I suppose I'll have to go into more detail.

The current Genre::Fantasy::-branch looks like:

Genre::Fantasy::Contemporary
Genre::Fantasy::Dungeons and Dragons
Genre::Fantasy::Magic
Genre::Fantasy::Magic::Magical Girl

As far as I can see, there's room for improvement. ::Dungeons and Dragons is a bad name for a genre, and I'd much prefer it if commonly used fantasy subgenres were used instead. Among those, the ones most commonly seen in anime are:

- Comic Fantasy
- Contemporary Fantasy
- Dark Fantasy
- High Fantasy

Thus, I propose that the ::Fantasy-branch would be modified to look like this:

Genre::Fantasy::Comic Fantasy
Genre::Fantasy::Contemporary Fantasy
Genre::Fantasy::Dark Fantasy
Genre::Fantasy::High Fantasy
Genre::Fantasy::Magic::Magical Girl

Analysis:
Genre::Fantasy::Comic Fantasy

(Descriptions from Wikipedia)
"Comic fantasy is a subgenre of Fantasy that is primarily humorous in intent and tone. Usually set in imaginary worlds, comic fantasy often includes puns on and parodies of other works of fantasy. It is sometimes known as Low Fantasy in contrast to High Fantasy which is primarily serious in intent and tone."

Examples: Slayers, Gokudou-kun Manyuki, Akazukin Chacha, Mahoujin Guru Guru...

Of course, the same result can be achieved by adding both Genre::Fantasy and Genre::Comedy categories to an anime, so it could be argued that this one isn't needed.

Genre::Fantasy::Contemporary Fantasy

"Contemporary fantasy is a subgenre of fantasy, also known as contemporary urban fantasy, modern-day fantasy, or indigenous fantasy. These terms are used to describe stories set in the putative real world (often referred to as consensus reality) in contemporary times, in which, it is revealed, magic and magical creatures exist, either living in the interstices of our world or leaking over from alternate worlds. It thus has much in common with, and sometimes overlaps with, secret histories."

Examples: Tactics, Chiccha na Yukitsukai Sugar,...

Genre::Fantasy::Dark Fantasy

"Dark fantasy in this context refers to stories that focus on elements usually found in the horror genre but which take place in a setting more alike sword and sorcery or high fantasy. Dark fantasy includes "grittier" fantasy, conducted in settings which represent the brutality of the medieval period more truly than the traditionally idealised representations of conventional fantasy, generally with a dash of supernatural horror. It may or may not take place in its own fantasy world."

Examples: Berserk, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust,...

Genre::Fantasy::High Fantasy

This is what I propose as the replacement for the current ::Dungeons and Dragons.

According to The Encyclopedia of Fantasy, high fantasy is 'Fantasies set in otherworlds, specifically secondary worlds, and which deal with matters affecting the destiny of these worlds.' Basically a catchall for animes that feature fantastical races (such as elves and dwarves), wizards, and such.

Examples: Lodoss-tou Senki, Final Fantasy Unlimited, Words Worth,...

It has been said before that Genre::Fantasy::Magic is redundant, since fantasy already implies presence of magic. That's true, but it might still be of some use to keep that category, to categorize anime in which magic plays central role -- such as Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto.

'course, the problem with those is that a large majority of fantasy anime just can't be categorized with regular fantasy subgenres. Fe. Juuni Kokki, Gensou Maden Saiyuuki, Groove Adventure Rave, Palme no Ki, ...; so it's possible that my suggestions are next to useless..

Comments?

--------------------------------------------
Oh, and I have an idea for one other new category. We already have Characters::People::Mystical People::Goddesses, but what about male gods -- such as ones in Ragnarok? ...and animal gods and such (Princess Mononoke)...

So I was thinking if there should be Characters::Deities, (...and ::Goddesses would be a subcategory of that, like this:
Characters::Deities::Goddesses.) Opinions? ^_^
Elias

Post by Elias »

Der Idiot wrote:Added
Characters::A.I. (no dots allowed so AI)
If AI (maybe renaming it into 'Artifical Inteligence' helps avoid dots problem, i remember only one title where AI is main charater: Serial Experiment Lain, but there are more titles, where AI is present as minor character), than what about
Characters::AI::Androids
I know there is already Genre::SciFi::Mecha::Androids, but for titles where one of main characters is from this kind (Armitage III, Chobits, Mahoromatic) it could be more usable for describing content.
Characters::Monster Trainers (Trainers sounds better than owners)
Shouldn't it be rather:
Characters::People::Monster Trainers
Genre::Action::Military::Fighters <-- fighters?
Genre::Action::Military::Air combat
is better? (Area 88, Sentou Yousei Yukikaze, Macross Zero)
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

Characters::Artificial Intelligence:: - fixed
Characters::Artificial Intelligence::Androids - added
Characters::People::Monster Trainers - fixed
Genre::Action::Military::Air combat - added

i'll leave Andemon's suggestions open for more discussion for now.
don't wanna screw up the whole Genre::Fantasy:: without some other opinions first
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I would keep it as one.
Elias

Post by Elias »

Im not into fantasy, so no opinion from me.
But i like Characters::Deities

Digging more in Action genre, there are Martial arts and Swordplay, but nothing for shooting weapons (not in military aspects, like in Noir, Hellsing, Cowboy bebop, Gunsmith cats).
Action::Shooting fun ?
Action::Gunsplay ?

Action::Military::Naval combat
Ao no 6-gou, Kenran Butou Sai
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

I think Andemons suggestions should be implemented. Every fantasy anime will be categorized in the fantasy category, but if you put a fantasy anime into a more specific category that would be better. I don't care if there are a lot of fantasy anime that can't be categorized. But if I want to find a similar anime like Berserk, it would be nice if it's categorized in Dark Fantasy because then it would be easier to find a similar anime.

Another suggestion for anime with guns: Action::Shootout maybe?
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

And don't forget about Action::Peeing!
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

Action::Military::Naval combat - added
Action::Shootout - added
Genre::Fantasy::Comic Fantasy - added
Genre::Fantasy::Contemporary Fantasy - fixed
Genre::Fantasy::Dark Fantasy - added
Genre::Fantasy::High Fantasy - added
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

DonGato wrote:And don't forget about Action::Peeing!
don't be a kiddie. :roll: exp comment was to first add as many categories as possible and later on sort out which are neccessary and which are utterly useless and I agree with that.
Last edited by Der Idiot on Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andemon

Post by Andemon »

Yes, I forgot to mention that -- there's tons of anime that falls into the ::Fantasy-category. Just look at the current fantasy genre-list -- it doesn't seem all that useful, considering that anime such as Juuni Kokki and Card Captor Sakura are on the same list.

If someone wants to find anime similar to Juuni Kokki, such huge list is of no use. Hence, several subcategories are pretty much required to make ::Fantasy work under the new system like it's supposed to.

It's a different matter entirely whether my choices for subcategories are good enough -- there's still quite a lot of fantasy anime that wouldn't fit into any of the subcategories that I suggested; historical fantasy, animal fantasy, just plain weird fantasy,... So if someone has better ideas for fantasy subcategories, by all means, go ahead and suggest them. ^_^

[EDIT: Oh, they were already added... Never mind, then. This is what I get for writing such longwinded messages... -_-;]
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

Andemon wrote:It's a different matter entirely whether my choices for subcategories are good enough -- there's still quite a lot of fantasy anime that wouldn't fit into any of the subcategories that I suggested; historical fantasy, animal fantasy, just plain weird fantasy,... So if someone has better ideas for fantasy subcategories, by all means, go ahead and suggest them. ^_^
yes i already added them doesn't mean we can't discuss about alternatives. if someone has something that fits our needs better we can always switch. for the moment i just think some subgenres are better than no subgenres at all.
just wanna get some movement into this.
Andemon

Post by Andemon »

Personally, I think we've reached the point where almost no one has any ideas for new categories; that might be why this has been so slow recently.

Maybe it's the time soon to start deciding which categories to keep?...

BTW: What about Characters::Deities? Male gods need equal time, too. ^_^
Last edited by Andemon on Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.