[ALL-REQs] Categories (new genre system)

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

Noratav

Post by Noratav »

This was in Aidoku's list earlier but is worth emphasising:
Genre:SciFi:Cyberpunk
Ghost in the Shell, Serial Experiments Lain, Akira

Re: the request for a Harem genre, I would suggest renaming Genre:Drama:Romance:Love Triangle or making Harem a subcategory of that category. Given the amount of Harem anime around there needs to be seperate category for it all.

For much the same reason there also needs to be a category for Magical Girls but that would probably just as well under Characters:People: as under Genre:Fantasy:.
Andemon

Post by Andemon »

Noratav wrote:For much the same reason there also needs to be a category for Magical Girls but that would probably just as well under Characters:People: as under Genre:Fantasy:.
I'm not quite sure... ::Magical Girl as a category seems to imply more than the presence of just a... erm... magical girl, it also implies everything that I listed -- transformations, magical companions, magical accessories, magical phrases,... That seems too broad to be covered with just Characters::, it seems more like a subgenre to me.

Such anime is most often similar to urban/contemporary fantasy, so placing it under Genre::Fantasy:: seems logical to me.

...or perhaps simply put it under Characters::, and add Characters::Mystical Creatures(?)::Magical Companion, too. ^_^

-------

Noticed this one while browsing my old notes, btw -- any opinions?:

Action::Western

Trigun, Gun Frontier, Early Reins and Wild Arms -- though arguably none of those are 'real' westerns. Not sure if they should have their own subcategory...
Aidoku

Post by Aidoku »

Andemon, to stay in the idea of utopia/dystopia, in french there is no word to say dystopia, there is only utopia.
A world like the one in "Brave new world" are a "perfect" world where there is no war, no injustice, only peace and joy. But from our point of vue or the point of view of some character, this world is not perfect, it's future that nobody want.
http://hem.passagen.se/replikant/dystop ... nition.htm
If dystopia is only the opposite of utopia, does it meen that dystopia are only "not perfect world" ?
No, dystopia is a disfunctional utopia, like in the movie "Equilibrium".

The definition used for the list is this one.
A dystopia is
A) an imaginary society that
B) comments on our own society and
C) a majority of us would fear to live in.
But the last point is not exact, cause dystopia are linked to utopia, so "a majority of us would fear to live in these "utopia" seam beter for me.

Hope i'm more clear and less confuse now!

Rar, sorry if you think that I want to impose some Québécois value judgement, I just think that it can ba a MODEL to adapt to the needs of the page.
Exp give a good explanation of the actual system, if we know what is the "level" of sexuality or violence. So the people can judge by their value judgement what is ok or not for their kids.
Now that I understant, it's seem ok for me to continue in this way.
If it's a flexible judgement value system, the content indicator must indicate thing that can hurt the value of people.

New improved version of my list - http://membres.lycos.fr/mwnyl/Untitled-3.php

Aidoku
suppy

Post by suppy »

Rar wrote:
fahrenheit wrote:Regarding this, some one could add a post (a mod preferably) with all the Accepted, Pending and Rejected cats, it would be easier to spot if a cat allready was accepted, if a request is futile or whatever, but i do think it should be done.
There's a good reason this hasn't been done - the mods are just as unsure over the issues this thread has raised as everyone else. This is why the discussion, and examples, are useful. Just because a particular category hasn't been added yet, or another one has, this does not been it's been 'accepted' or 'rejected', and particularly things like the exact branch a particular leaf is under is very flexible.
In that case, make it clear in the post that all of it is still open for discussion - even the rejected stuff. But having it all collated together is really a must when this thread grows any larger.
Andemon

Post by Andemon »

Hm. This seems pretty dead lately.
I suppose everyone is waiting for the mods to do something...? *nudge, nudge*

Might as well tackle an issue that has been bothering me, while I'm here -- the subcategories of Genre::Fantasy:: seem like a mess.

The subcategory ::Magic seems useless, never mind that I originally suggested it. Fantasy:: already implies the presence of magic in some form.

::Dungeons and Dragons should be renamed. It's hardly descriptive to use name of an RPG as a category name -- there's only one anime afaik that is directly based on D&D, and that's Lodoss.

Aidoku has already done solid work on the Fantasy:: subcategories; so instead of repeating what he has done, I just say that I second his suggestions, except for Romance fantasy and Animal fantasy (because I can't think of any anime that falls in those subgenres). ;)
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

Allright people, since this discussion is dying, I'll try some CPR and list all the requested categories and try to sort them a little bit.

First the list with categories that were added, second the list with categories that aren't added and third the list with categories that were added under different maincategories then their suggestion or a different subcategoryname.

ADDED TO THE CATEGORY LIST

Characters::Animals::Cats
Characters::Animals::Hamsters
Characters::Animals::Turtles
Characters::Mystical Creatures
Characters::Mystical Creatures::Demons
Characters::Mystical Creatures::Tentacles
Characters::Mystical Creatures::Vampires
Characters::People
Characters::People::Delinquents
Characters::People::Futanari (hentai)
Characters::People::Musicians
Characters::People::Musicians::Band
Characters::People::Mystical People
Characters::People::Mystical People::Elves
Characters::People::Mystical People::Faeries
Characters::People::Ninjas
Characters::People::Reporters
Characters::People::Samurai
Characters::People::Students
Characters::Students::Elementary School Students
Characters::Students::Middle School Students
Characters::Students::High School Students
Characters::Students::College Students
Characters::People::Hunters
Characters::People::Hunters::Bounty hunters
Characters::People::Assassins
Characters::People::Pirates
Characters::People::Maids
Characters::People::Nurses
Characters::People::Teachers
Dynamic::Plot::Epic
Dynamic::Plot::Episodic
Dynamic::Plot::Tragedy
Dynamic::Plot::Slice of Life
Dynamic::Plot::Twisted
Genre::Action::Military
Genre::Action::Sports::American Football
Genre::Action::Sports::Driving::Streetrace
Genre::Action::Sports::Driving::Carts
Genre::Action::Sports::Driving::Formula 1
Genre::Action::Sports::Driving::Offroad
Genre::Action::Swordplay
Genre::Drama::Idol
Genre::Drama::Romance
Genre::Drama::Romance::Harem
Genre::Drama::Romance::Love Triangle
Genre::Fantasy::Contemporary Fantasy
Genre::Fantasy::Dungeons and Dragons
Genre::Fantasy::Magic
Genre::Fantasy::Magical Girl
Genre::SciFi::Space Opera
Genre::SciFi::Steampunk
Genre::Thriller
Setting::Place::Country::Russia
Setting::Place::Dystopia
Setting::Place::Mirror World
Setting::Place::Prison
Setting::Place::School::Clubs
Setting::Place::Space::Moon
Setting::Place::Train
Setting::Place::Wasteland
Setting::Time::Past::Historical::WWII

NOT ADDED TO THE CATEGORY LIST

Characters::A.I.
Characters::Mystical Creatures::Devils
Characters::People::3-eyed People
Characters::Monster Owners
Characters::People::Waitresses
Characters::People::Mystical People::Half Beast
Genre::Action::Guns
Genre::Action::Military::WWII
Genre::Action::Military::Space War
Genre::Action::Military::Fighters
Genre::Action::Sports::Go
Genre::Action::Sports::Ping Pong
Genre::Action::Sports::Other
Genre::Action::Syndicate
Genre::Action::Western
Genre::Drama::Angst
Genre::Drama::Art
Genre::Drama::Real Life
Genre::Drama::Romance::(Sudden girlfriend appearance)
Genre::Food
Genre::Food::Bread
Genre::Scifi::Aliens::First Contact
Genre::SciFi::Cloning
Genre:SciFi:Cyberpunk
Genre::SciFi::Mutants
Setting::Place::City
Setting::Place::City::Tokyo

ADDED UNDER DIFFERENT CATEGORY OR DIFFERENT SUBCATEGORYNAME

Genre::Fantasy::Creatures::Dragons/Characters::Mystical Creatures::...
Genre::Scifi::Aliens/Characters::...
Genre::Action::Cops/Characters::People::...
Genre::Fantasy::Creatures::Anthropomorphic/Characters::Juujin
Genre::Action::Police/Characters::People::...
Genre::Action::Police::Special Police Squads/Characters::People::Cops::...
Characters::Mystical::Angels/Characters::People::Mystical People::...
Characters::Mystical creatures::Gods and goddesses/......::Goddessess
Genre::Fantasy::Creatures::Shinigami/Characters::People::Mystical People::...
Genre::Horror::Spirits/Characters::Mystical Creatures::...
Characters::A.I.::Androids/SciFi::Mecha::Androids
Characters::Warriors/Characters::People::...
Characters::Magicians/Characters::People::...
Characters::Astronauts/Characters::People::...
Characters::Scientists/Characters::People::...
Characters::Evolving/Dynamic::Character Development::...
Characters::Static/Dynamic::Character Development::...
Characters::Stereotype/Dynamic::Character Development::...
Characters::Creatures::Beasts/Characters::Mystical Creatures::...
Characters::Peoples::Mystical People::Half Beast::Catgirls/Characters::Juujin::...
Setting::Place::Country::England/Setting::Place::Country::United Kingdom

I haven't added all the things because the list is already large and I've been busy with this already about 2 hours,
The things, more like maincategories, I didn't add are:

Foo::Mecha (Because I don't agree with all the suggestions. Cars and motorcycles mecha???)
Foo::Objects (Because I think this will be a little overkill, I mean a category with strawberry pantsu :S)

Some suggestions about changing the names of several categories.

Dynamic::Plot::Tragedy --> Genre::Drama::Tragedy
Dynamic::Plot::Slice of Life --> Genre::Drama::Slice of Life

So that should be about it. If there is a category missing from one of the previous posts give a yell.

After compiling this list I hope the mods could shed some light on this issue. Maybe you can tell me which categories definitely will be staying and which definitely not, then I will remove them out of the list :D.
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

sjabbie wrote:Allright people, since this discussion is dying, I'll try some CPR and list all the requested categories and try to sort them a little bit.
Okay, this list is a bit silly, but that's okay as it gives us lots of categories to pick the useful ones from. What the system really needs right now is some reorganisation (mainly moving things out of the `genre' tree, as there are probably only about half a dozen genres in there and most of the things that are listed as subgenres really belong in another tree, which I'm evidently not the only one having trouble naming, as I think the concept of the `foo' tree is the same as my unnamed one), but I'm too lazy to do it.
The things, more like maincategories, I didn't add are:

Foo::Mecha (Because I don't agree with all the suggestions. Cars and motorcycles mecha???)
If you want your Gundam or Mazinger-Z, you can use Mecha::Giant Robots(::Piloted). Mecha for motorcycles is entirely consistent with japanese usage.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Eg. see the appalingly titled by faf MEKADOKKU.

I'll be back on the categories case in a bit, yo.

Rar
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

I know it was a little bit of a waste of time to make this list but now everything is in one list, so now we can start from here and since there was no progress in this discussion...
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

Well, it's of limited use in the thread, but with the cooperative editing facilities of the AniDB Wiki the list can be expanded and trimmed according to the consensus of the community with minimal fuss, so you might like to transfer it to there. (Discussion in this thread is still useful, of course.)
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

But then everybody can add and delete categories without any discussion. On one hand that's nice, but on the other hand, there can be a lot of crappy suggestions being entered there without some kind of quality control.

I think we should first go through this list and then go for new categories or it will go over our heads ;).
ninjamask

Post by ninjamask »

I created an article for it in the Wiki: http://www.anidb.net/wiki/index.php?tit ... Categories
Andemon

Post by Andemon »

Hmph. This thread seems quite dead. Nothing has changed in the past month. --exactly how soon is 'in a bit', Rar?... ^_^

Well, to keep the discussion going, I'm going to comment about all those categories that haven't been added yet:

NOT ADDED TO THE CATEGORY LIST

Characters::A.I.

Scifi isn't my favorite genre, and I haven't watched any anime where A.I. plays important role -- but if there are such anime, I don't see why that couldn't be added...

Characters::Mystical Creatures::Devils

Demons, devils -- I suppose ::Demons is enough, no need to have both. Aren't they just synonyms, after all?

Characters::People::3-eyed People

Too much detail, I'd say. If we go that way, there are plenty of other categories that have to be added then too: ::Winged People, ::Horned People, ::People who have tails. ...nah, not a good idea.

Characters::Monster Owners

Let's see... There's Pokemon, Digimon, Monster Rancher,...
Hm. Howabout ::Monster Trainers? Then Dragon Drive could be added to that category, too...

I don't see why not. They're certainly common enough.

Characters::People::Mystical People::Half Beast

::Juujin was already added -- that's basically the same thing.

Genre::Action::Guns

Isn't a genre, but I don't know where else it'd fit -- since almost no one wants to add that Objects:: main branch. Too much data, maybe -- not needed, I'd say.

Genre::Action::Military::Space War

Not needed. ::Space War is practically already covered by ::SciFi::Space Opera.

Genre::Action::Sports::Go
Genre::Action::Sports::Ping Pong

These should just be deleted -- I think pretty much everyone now agrees that for a category to be created, there should be at least two anime that would have that category. As far as I know, Hikaru no Go is the only Go anime. ...same goes for Ping Pong Club, plus the role of ping pong in that anime is somewhat insignificant.

Genre::Action::Sports::Other

As Rar said, this was a bad idea. Delete. -_-;

Genre::Action::Syndicate

Doesn't seem like the right place for that. Would fit better under ::Characters -- it's definitely not a genre...

There's only four(?) anime that would have that genre -- but I suppose that would be enough to create it..

Oh yes. I'd like it if this one got added -- so I'd know which anime to avoid. -_-

Genre::Drama::Romance::(Sudden girlfriend appearance)

Hmph. Can't think of a good name for this, either.

Genre::Scifi::Aliens::First Contact

The only first contant anime that I can think of is DearS, and am not even sure if that one qualifies. Are there any others?

Genre::SciFi::Cloning
Genre::SciFi::Mutants

Not needed. Should be deleted...

Genre::SciFi::Cyberpunk

Armitage Poly-Matrix, Ghost in the Shell,...
Bubblegum Crisis is said to be cyberpunk, though I haven't personally watched it... I suppose that's enough -- should be added.

Setting::Place::City

No one else has commented about these so far. What do you think -- too much detail?
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

Andemon wrote:Setting::Place::City

No one else has commented about these so far. What do you think -- too much detail?
I don't think this is a necessary category because I can't imagine that someone would or wouldn't watch an anime because it takes place in Tokyo?!
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

Added
Characters::A.I. (no dots allowed so AI)
Characters::Monster Trainers (Trainers sounds better than owners)
Genre::Drama::Art
Genre::Drama::Real Life
Genre::Drama::Romance::Sudden girlfriend appearance (yes the name sucks, but i think it's valid and the name can get changed later on)
Genre::SciFi::Cyberpunk

besides the ones which Andemon already considered obsolete/needing discussion i was wondering about those:
Genre::Action::Military::WWII <-- isn't that setting and not a genre?!
Genre::Action::Military::Fighters <-- fighters?
Genre::Food <-- food a genre? :/

maybe i shoudl start reading the thread and not just the last 2-3 posts ^^;