[FEEDBACK] new Genre System

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

Do we have all needed genres listed?

Yes
10
38%
No
16
62%
 
Total votes: 26

User avatar
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff
Posts: 438
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:43 am
Location: Portugal

Post by fahrenheit » Fri May 13, 2005 2:45 pm

Andemon wrote:I think it's good and all that you added the categories that I suggested, but I don't expect everyone to know what space opera, steampunk or kemono mean -- without consulting an encyclopedia, that is.

The genre definitions will no doubt be updated at some point (http://www.anidb.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2854), but why not take it one step further, and add the definitions into the category list itself? Would it be feasible to fe. add a (?)-link to the less obvious category list entries, a link that opens a pop-up window that tells the definition of the category?
it is doable, the problem is starting, but i guess that what you say should only be added when the cats are fully introduced and the layout of the page is nice.

User avatar
exp
Site Admin
Posts: 2438
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:42 pm
Location: Nowhere

Post by exp » Fri May 13, 2005 4:51 pm

we can think about stuff like that once we have the basics done.
we will definetly have a wiki page about the category system, dunno if we'll also need context-help-popups. we'll see.

BYe!
EXP

User avatar
Elias
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:55 pm

Post by Elias » Fri May 13, 2005 5:34 pm

Maybe implementing some kind of links would be helpful. There are some categories which qualifies (or already are included, see Tentacles, Androids) to more than one place in tree. Then adding them to both (or more) places (one as normal, and other as links to first) in tree when all pointing to same category can avoid mistakes or double adding the same category (like adding both SciFi::Ships:Submarine and Setting::Place::Marine::Submarine for Kenrah Butou Sai)

User avatar
exp
Site Admin
Posts: 2438
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:42 pm
Location: Nowhere

Post by exp » Fri May 13, 2005 6:41 pm

dunno,

I'd probably try to find some kind of tree structure where we don't have multiple entries in the first place.
i.e. maybe by moving some of these entries to new places, see:
http://www.anidb.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18962#18962

on the other hand there probably are quite some elements which may have the same name but do have different meanings. I don't have a good example right now, but consider some subcat A which is located somewhere under hentai and somewhere under scifi. it may well be that A has a totally different idea behind it in both cases. so linking such entries would be a bad idea.

and in general, linking is probably confusing for most users.
i.e. they add one cat and the anime has two new cats all of a sudden.

BYe!
EXP

User avatar
exp
Site Admin
Posts: 2438
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:42 pm
Location: Nowhere

Post by exp » Fri May 13, 2005 6:50 pm

on second thought, SciFi::Ships:Submarine and Setting::Place::Marine::Submarine are a perfect example for two entries with the same name but a different meaning.
SciFi::Ships:Submarine means that a submarine is involved.
Setting::Place::Marine::Submarine means that a large part of the action is taking place sub-marine (under water). That could also mean some under water base or something like that.

BYe!
EXP

Raptor
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:07 pm

Post by Raptor » Fri May 13, 2005 11:31 pm

For the linking of categories with the same name but that can have whole different meanings, i think they should be completely different when added for the reasons that they are different and dont necessarily belong in the same place.

But the linking of these categories could be pretty usuful for searching thought.

For example i could search for either the category:

SciFi::Ships:Submarine (i want a submarine involved)

Setting::Place::Marine::Submarine (i want it to happen in a submarine)

submarine (as long as there is a submarine im happy)

It wouldnt be a problem either since the three list could be cached seperately (the third one being simply the combination of the 2 others with the elimination of duplicates).

This way we can have a nice three structure, a powerful tool for searching and its easy to cache.

BlckKnght
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:34 am
Location: Low Earth Orbit

Post by BlckKnght » Sun May 22, 2005 3:58 pm

I really like the new category system. I think it will really improve our ability to cross reference similar anime.

I have a couple of nits to pick with the current look of the tree however. :wink:

Please move the "+/-" link to the left of the category it expands. This will make it more obvious what it opens and closes, and will match pretty much every other tree view layout I've ever used on a computer. It would be even neater if the link changed from "+" to "-" when the categories is opened.

List the number of anime in the categories, not the number of subcategories. Ok, maybe you do already, and there simply aren't enough categorized anime yet. But split out the subcategory count in some way. Maybe you can do something like "Action (5 entries, plus 10 entries in 3 subcategories)".

Here's my dream layout (within the limits of the forum's BBCode anyway):

Code: Select all

[-] Audience (35 entries in 6 subcategories)
 |  \-- Kodomo (3 entries)
 |   |- Mina (8 entries)
 |  [-] Perverts (4 entries, plus 6 entries in 2 subcategories)
 |   |  \-- Female Perverts (1 entry)
 |   |   \- Male Perverts (5 entries)
 |   |- Seinen (2 entries)
 |   |- Shoujo (5 entries)
 |   \- Shounen (7 entries)
[+] Characters (15 entries, plus 30 entries in 10 subcategories)
[+] Content Indicators (12 entries in 4 subcategories)
...

suppy
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:37 am
Location: A House of the Azath

Post by suppy » Fri May 27, 2005 3:02 am

BlckKnght wrote:Please move the "+/-" link to the left of the category it expands. This will make it more obvious what it opens and closes, and will match pretty much every other tree view layout I've ever used on a computer. It would be even neater if the link changed from "+" to "-" when the categories is opened.
I agree, the way it is right now was confusing for me at first glance, it took a bit to get used to. Since most of us are used to the ordinary looking trees I assume many others feel the same way. Changing the + to - isn't necessary in my opinion, it's fine with +/- like it is now, but sure, if it's not a hassle I say do it.
fahrenheit wrote:
ricce wrote: The logic in have you marke the background color isn't good ether - it will now mark every second row darker - not depending on where in the tree it is att all.

The logic for this shuld be to have to take every second in one level.

for exampel the subcatogeries of Adience:
- Kodomo (dark)
- Mina (light)
(I don't show hentai so it will be cut out)
- Seinen (dark)
- Shoujo (light)
- Shounen (dark)

As the exempel says - the colors shuld be given after you have filtered away hentai categories - or else it will mess it up cmplitely.
there is no easy way to do what you say, the safest solution is to mark it by level depth alternatively, so the first level all get the same colour, the second the alt colour and so on.
I agree with ricce here that it looks weird when not all categories are shown, so marking it by depth sounds like a good idea to me

User avatar
Elias
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:55 pm

Post by Elias » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:20 am

About show category window: i think it would be better wisible, when normal/bold attributes will be used insted of italic/normal.
Now it looks like this:
Characters::Mystical Characters::Deities::Goddessess
and with bold it would look like that:
Characters::Mystical Characters::Deities::Goddessess


There should be some attribute for some of genres, switching off possibility to place them as genres (some of them appers when 'parent' genres switch is on, but itself have no meaning), like:
Setting::Place
Dynamic::Character Development
Setting::Time

User avatar
sjabbie
Posts: 346
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:57 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Post by sjabbie » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:29 pm

Don't know if I'm posting in the thread, but I'll just post it here. When I was adding categories, I tried to add this with mass add:

4 Genre::Action **
171 Genre::Action::Military ***
259 Genre::Action::Military::Air Combat *
262 Genre::Action::Military::Naval Combat **+

I had to add category 4 and 171 separately because automatically they will be given one star because of category 259. Is there a way to do something about this or does that effect the chain-add option?

User avatar
exp
Site Admin
Posts: 2438
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:42 pm
Location: Nowhere

Post by exp » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:05 am

sjabbie wrote:I had to add category 4 and 171 separately because automatically they will be given one star because of category 259. Is there a way to do something about this or does that effect the chain-add option?
I didn't get your problem.

BYe!
EXP

User avatar
exp
Site Admin
Posts: 2438
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:42 pm
Location: Nowhere

Post by exp » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:06 am

Elias wrote:About show category window: i think it would be better wisible, when normal/bold attributes will be used insted of italic/normal.
Now it looks like this:
Characters::Mystical Characters::Deities::Goddessess
and with bold it would look like that:
Characters::Mystical Characters::Deities::Goddessess


There should be some attribute for some of genres, switching off possibility to place them as genres (some of them appers when 'parent' genres switch is on, but itself have no meaning), like:
Setting::Place
Dynamic::Character Development
Setting::Time
both ideas sound good.
feel free to add a tracker item. :P

BYe!
EXP

User avatar
sjabbie
Posts: 346
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:57 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Post by sjabbie » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:33 pm

Well I wanted to four categories with mass add:

4 Genre::Action **
171 Genre::Action::Military ***
259 Genre::Action::Military::Air Combat *
262 Genre::Action::Military::Naval Combat **+

I got an error because of category 259. It has one star and that will be automatically added to the parentcategories 4 and 171. So I had to separately add the categories 4 and 171 because they deserved a different amount of stars.

TechNiko
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:07 am
Location: Quebec, Canada
Contact:

Post by TechNiko » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:12 pm

Well I wanted to four categories with mass add:.....It has one star and that will be automatically added to the parentcategories ....
It shouldn't try to do that if you don't check the checkbox "Chained-Add"
Could you try again and make sure that checkbox is not checked, if it does it again then reply again here.

User avatar
sjabbie
Posts: 346
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:57 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Post by sjabbie » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:36 pm

I already see what I did wrong :oops:. I thought I had to check the box behind the category to add them. Ignore my problem ;). Thanks TechNiko :).

Locked