[FEEDBACK] new Genre System

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

Do we have all needed genres listed?

Yes
38%
No
62%

Total votes: 26

exp
Site Admin

[FEEDBACK] new Genre System

Post by exp »

As described in the last few posts of this thread:
http://www.anidb.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17884#17884

I'll probably introduce a new genre system soon.

However, we need to define at least all main genres and the first level of subgenres before I can do that.
So let the discussion begin! :o)

Summary:
*list of all accepted genres/subgenres will be added here*

BYe!
EXP
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

the question isnt all that clear since it seem like there will be genre and subgenres.

so according to this, all the genre needed are there and even more, while many subgenres are clearly missing.
Andemon

Post by Andemon »

Well. I suppose it'd be best to decide the main genres first, and discuss the subgenres after that...?

The main genres should probably be kept at bare minimum. As far as I can see, the following ones should be sufficient:

Action
Comedy
Drama
Fantasy
Historical
Horror
Juvenile
Music
Mature
Mystery
Romance
Science Fiction

...comments?
bbaab

Post by bbaab »

Andemon wrote: The main genres should probably be kept at bare minimum. As far as I can see, the following ones should be sufficient:

(...)
Juvenile
(...)
Mature
(...)

...comments?
As far as I can see the more genres the better (see my post in the other thread), but what kind of genres are those two?!?
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Well, I would go with the classical ones for main genres and let out all those "Vampires", "School" (this might be discussed) and the likes to subgenres. BTW, Juvenile and Mature doesn't sound any good, and we're missing Hentai and Ecchi both valid main genres for Anime.
Andemon

Post by Andemon »

bbaab wrote: As far as I can see the more genres the better (see my post in the other thread), but what kind of genres are those two?!?
Well, as I said, my reasoning was that the amount of main genres should be kept as small as possible -- the detail can be added with subgenres. Those two genres that I suggested are combinations of some of the old genres:

Mature:
The main genre for subgenres Yaoi, Yuri, Hentai, and Ecchi, et all. Any anime that has mature sexual themes would have this genre.

Juvenile:
The main genre for subgenres Shoujo, Shounen, and Kids. Any anime which target audience is teenagers and younger.
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

"Adult" is still more preferable, IMHO - it's instantly recognizable by almost everyone. And placing Shounen/Shoujo in same category with Kids is kinda overkill, isn't it? Come on, Maruko-chan and Slam Dunk in same category?
Last edited by rowaasr13 on Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andemon

Post by Andemon »

rowaasr13 wrote:"Adult" is still more preferable, IMHO - it's instantly recognizable by almost everyone.
I suppose so. I couldn't think of a better name for that genre; "Adult" does sound somewhat better.
And placing Shounen/Shoujo in same category with Kids is kinda overkill? Come on, Maruko-chan and Slam Dunk in same category?
Hrm. True. Good example. -_-;
I suppose it would be better to have them separate.
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

And what do you think of sports? Or should that be a subgenre for action?
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Sports is not the main issue in most series so I would say keep it as a subgenre. They're mostly dramas, comedies or the likes. I don't know about Juvenile (the name is troubling me not to what it applies). :/
Rain

Post by Rain »

Psychological?
imokie

Post by imokie »

I think sports should be a main genre. If not, sports would need to be a sub genre of many other main genres:

Hikaru no Go -> Drama::Sports?
Hajime no Ippo -> Action::Sports?
H2 -> Comedy::Sports?
Dear Boys -> Action::Sports and Drama::Sports??

I think Psychological is a sub genre of drama.

Having Mature as main genre for Yaoi, Yuri, Hentai, Ecchi and maybe Seinen, and Juvenile as main genre for Shoujo, Shounen and Kids sound good to me.

Maybe Suspence would be better instead of Mystery. Suspence could have subgenres Horror, Thriller and Mystery.

I would go for this list for the main genres:

Action
Comedy
Drama
Fantasy
Historical
Juvenile
Music
Mature
Suspence
Romance
Science Fiction
Sports
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

I'm sure 'Juvenile' is wrong. Pretty much all anime is made for juveniles...

If you want to get into target-audience territory, it should have its own category:

Audience::
- Kodomo
- Shounen
- Shoujo
- Seinen
- Otoko
- Perverts
- Mina

Rar
Andemon

Post by Andemon »

Heh.
I was going to suggest *exactly* that earlier, but decided against it because it seemed like four new fields should be enough -- five seems bit like an overkill, and seemed like I was sidetracking from the topic. ...but hey, since Rar already said it -- I say, go for it. :D

It'd certainly be an efficient solution. I mean, is "Kids/Kodomo" really a genre? Doesn't seem like it to me. Remove all those "Kids", "Shounen", et all from genres, and instead add that data into a new "Target Audience:"-field. (Hentai should still be left in genres...)

Would be lot of work, but might be worth it. Second opinions...?
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

But Audience is not a genre. :P