To allow or no allow parody files.

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

Should we allow parody anime files?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 63

Ultima
AniDB Staff

To allow or no allow parody files.

Post by Ultima »

Der Idiot wrote:
There is only one little problem. In wich sections belong the damn parody subs?
hmm parody eps. O_o either under special like now or maybe better give it an own section "P#" which can be disabled in your profile.
or even simpler: a parody icon.
also the ep number of the series could be a problem as it would often vary depending on wich order we take. Then when would a series be completed?
O_o either we triple that as well and it changes depending on the ep order or we use one of the 3 as standard. or rather 2 as r1 is out of question for being the standard. tv would be the easiest as thats for most already correct.
In response to the emerging, "Should we allow or not allow parody files?" Note: This is just feedback, not policy dictation. We just want to see where everyone lies.
Ultima
AniDB Staff

Post by Ultima »

Personally, I don't believe parody files should be allowed into the db. We should just treat them like non-official anime music videos - we simply don't allow them. If we allowed non-official anime works into the db, it would be cluttered with even more stuff.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

I voted no, however perhaps should point out that I've never watched and don't really intend to watch any parody subs, so am not exactly neutral. One possible exception is if a group parody subs the entire anime, in which case they should be added as normal eps, with file comments saying the translation is not exactly faithful. Or we could just delete all AJ files from the db now. :)

Rar
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

I don't like them because in general I guess parodies are made by people who lack any Japanese skills and simply take a regular fansub, get the raw, and then do their own BS just to be able to call themselves fansubbers.

Other than that people should watch "real" parodies like Excel Saga, Puni Puni Peomi or Abenobashi, made by japanese People who really know what's ironic and what's not.

I don't deny that some parodies are funny. It's just that they usually have a cheap feeling to them. If parodies are allowed we should really consider allowing godd karaoke into AniDB because the work involved in those is often a multiple of the work involved in doing a parody fansub.

Since that is a no no I say ban Parodies! Yay! ;-)
egg

Post by egg »

I'd say no. I also have no interest in watching them. Currently they just clutter the system IMHO. If something was added to handle them better (like the proposal), especially if you could hide them in your profile, then I wouldn't care... I guess it boils down to how much of an impact they have on the system.
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

uh.. at first, parody subs were rare, but now the naruto specials are cluttered of them... sigh...
I voted a no as well
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

No, they are not anime. They are abominations!
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Hear what the cat said for it is the ultimade wisdom :-)

I say kick the crap!
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

I don't think that they really belong into anidb either.
However I see one possible use for such entries. It would make identifying such files easier should one ever accidentially have obtained such a parody-subbed version of a file.
But that's really the only use I see and I don't think it's worth cluttering the animepages with such entries.

I'll think about those different types of anime specials again for a bit, maybe some kind of tagging and hiding option would be the best solution.

BYe!
EXP
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

*bump*
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Well, I've voted "no" when this poll was posted back then, but indeed, hidden category would be very useful to avoid this stuff. And to keep them from being added over and over again.
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

genre::parody would be an option, but then we would have to extend the cats to files..
kidan

Post by kidan »

Please, fahrenheit, ditch this suggestion, as it would be overkill for sure to append genres to files. besides I still wouldn't mind parodysubs as seperate special-category.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

gawd... file genres. wonderful.

a good way to add AMVs to anidb because then you could always HIDE those files and simply add a gazillion files of different types to the db without anyone noticing because you could always make it an option to hide this and that type. you could even add files from mangareactor because often enough a manga was the basis of an anime or the other way round. And JPGs for covers, because we all know we would LOVE to have nice covers for all our DVDs and CDs we have. And Desktop Backgrounds! We all LOVE desktop backgrounds! And music! Yes! Add MP3s to the DB! We all LOVE J-Pop! And we could add Nintendo RomZ to the DB as well, for instance for Pokemon! Yeah! You could always HIDE those files via a genre entry, namely "stuff that has no fucking thing to do with this anime, but just smells remotely like it"...

this is ANIME DATABASE not Anime PARODY Database.

AMVs are just the same, instead of the text there is music overlay. it has nothing in common with the base but the cels.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

*bumpety boo*

I would like to see the hammer go down on this one...