Advent Children but not Spirit Within?

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

I don't see wahaha's objection to the style as valid really. Both he and nwa have said vaugely on irc that 'it doesn't really look like anime' and thus can't be, which I object to completely. There is very little difference between the technology used for this and the cg is a vast range of modern anime. Almost all recent anime uses at the least digital colouration, and most mecha stuff is full cg. The only obvious difference is that rather than opting to use traditional methods for the characters (which generally clashes horribly, see Wonderful Days et al), or cell shaded models (which is only just begining to not look horrible, Platonic Chain -> URDA -> the new Appleseed), it does traditional rendering on the character models too (which also looks dire, RUN=DIM etc). CG characters currently look shit, and will contine to look shit for a while. I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing more of them though.

A large proportion of the animation I'm interested in is a pretty long way from the anime norm as well... Studio 4°C have been working heavily with computer animation since the mid 90s, I think they even did the valkyrie model in the macross 7 op in 1994, and none of their stuff really looks any more like anime than disney does on the other end of the scale. The latest Koji Yamamura animation is based entirely on early C20 french illustrations. And while I'm at it' I'll point out that anime producers have a new found love of Klimt. Wonderful Days has one of his works in an art gallery (the high point of the film), the softcore Elfen Lied op is pure Klimt pastiche, and Gankutsuou is quite divine Klimt in motion. Doesn't look very anime, and some philistines have been howling about the animation, but I don't see people claiming it's not anime. I think a fair bit of leeway should be given over what techniques can be tried out (and by no means always successfully) by japanese directors before we start bawling about the style being 'wrong'. I much prefer a diversity of anime styles to the bland flat shading mass production that the big producers seem to have been leaning towards of late.

HOWEVER... had a quick look though, and it seems my assumption that there was a japanese dub produced as well as the english one might be wrong though - this *would* be grounds for exclusion maybe. Made at least in part for a domestic audience is a pretty large part of egg's definition for me. While a lot of the early Toei and Nippon productions were often coproduced and largely financed in the west, based on western stories, and had primary western dubs, they were also had japanese audio and were staples of japanese tv. Unless Spirits Within was shown in cinemas in japan, I don't really see if it's worth listing, however relevant (though deeply unsuccesful) a milestone in cd animation history.

Rar
Elandal

Post by Elandal »

Please don't drag Robotech into this, Amour.. I can't forgive Macek for it, but it's still anime just as much as any US adaptation is.
While most US adaptations are just on the order of bad voice acting and a little paintjob to fit something to wanted rating, there are cases like Armitage III Poly Matrix. Robotech might be one end of the spectrum, but it's still a US adaptation of anime.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Rar wrote:Unless Spirits Within was shown in cinemas in japan, I don't really see if it's worth listing, however relevant (though deeply unsuccesful) a milestone in cd animation history.

Rar
The DVD is sold with Japanese track.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=ASHB-2083
Amour

Post by Amour »

Elandal wrote:Robotech might be one end of the spectrum, but it's still a US adaptation of anime.
Spirits Within is like an adaptation of an anime game.
Amour

Post by Amour »

Funny, if you do a search on Google with the main character name, what will you find? ;)
http://images.google.fr/images?q=Aki-Ross
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

Amour wrote:pirits Within is like an adaptation of an anime game.
Not really, the only thing that was adapted was the name 'Final Fantasy' (and uh.. iirc, the 'spirits' as well, don't really remember anymore) the real adaption or rather a sequel of a Final Fantasy game is Advent Children with traditional anime style chracters.