Remind users not to add certain characters to Anime-Titles

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

Elberet

Post by Elberet »

I guess all that's needed is a minor postprocessing of the filenames generated for ed2k links. Minor, because only two rules are required:
s/ +/ /g
s/^[^a-zA-Z0-9]+//
egg

Post by egg »

Elberet wrote:s/ +/ /g
s/^[^a-zA-Z0-9]+//
For people who do not know these regular expressions, these are:
Make multiple spaces into a single space.
If the first character(s) is not a letter or number then cut it off. (for instance, '.hack' would become just 'hack').

BTW, I do not like the naming inconsistencies either, but I gave up a while ago. I just have AOM rename them (although not quite the way I would like), so as long as the ed2k links work I don't care what they have in them.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

No, I don't like to be restricted because of some crappy program that can't handle the characters in question. -_-;
As I stated I use the . at file start sometimes.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

*nix users will usually want to avoid having filenames start with a . since .-files are commonly regarded configuration files and are hidden from directory listings by default. Windows users normally want to avoid having a . at the start of the filename since it can at times confuse Windows Exploder. I'm all for ignoring all such limitations, but as far as these changes go, I'd consider them simple filename sanitation. However, I can also understand that someone might not like this - but for those users, making the sanitation rules disableable via a profile setting should suffice, ne?