Same file, different group!!

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

gabbafry2

Same file, different group!!

Post by gabbafry2 »

Ohaio!

An interesting point would be to enter more than one group, because lately there are often raws from different groups with the same md5!!! Perhaps another + in front of this specific file, that enrolls the groups that have released the same file or only listing those files with the groups abbreviation. I think just adding another file with the same CRC is a solution, but a real messy one. Perhaps when somebody tries adding a file with the same MD5 it could get added automatically to the existing. For automatical merging comparison should be based on CRC and another checksum to make sure its the same file. There is a possibility to have two different files with the same CRC and so even manipulation is possible. You could even add the option to enter a more exact release time based on the UTC ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time ), an extra field with hh:mm should be enough. Perhaps a little Time Zone calculator in addition? Then the earliest release automatically gets the "master" file, standing atop of the mini list. Files with no specific time entered comes last and so on. oO ... So many possibilities.

Regards,

gabbafry
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

hm,

i think this would be pretty useless.
if the files have the exact same hash, meaning that they're the same files, why would someone be interested in a group info?
or more specifically why would a group deserve to be mentioned for a file they haven't done _any_ work on?
someone encoded the file, and that's the only group which should be mentioned.

the group entry in anidb is not meant for releasing/sharing groups, but for fansub groups.

BYe!
EXP
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Aye, I agree. Credit belongs to those who've gone through all the work to translate, subtitle and encode an episode. The sharers do deserve respect as well, but they aren't working for hours or days to get the episode shared.
gabbafry

Post by gabbafry »

The credit-thing is totally right, but who knows which file was there first? Thats why i suggested some kind of hierarchy view for those files, "original" file first and the others are available via plus sign, but nvm... these cases don't happen often, mostly only in the raws scene (WGR <-> l33t <-> Saiya). I'm fine with the way it is now. =p
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Let me get something sorted out: there is no way that two different people could rip something off digital TV and get a file that has the same MD5. It just isn't possible.

So if there are two different groups that release a file with the absolute same MD5 then the file was from the same person but one of the groups simply added their name to it (and maybe deleted the name of the other person from the filename).

There can be only one person who made a file and that person (or the group he belongs to) should be in AniDB. There is no reason to add other groups who did the release or filesharing / provided a BT tracker or whatever since then you would have to make all files from scarywater a "scarywater" group file.

But maybe I got something wrong here :) Feel free to enlighten me.
e-Viper

Post by e-Viper »

Skywalka wrote:There can be only one person who made a file and that person (or the group he belongs to) should be in AniDB. There is no reason to add other groups who did the release or filesharing / provided a BT tracker or whatever since then you would have to make all files from scarywater a "scarywater" group file.
there goes all the raw files :twisted:

basicly groups like leet-raws don't capture all their "releases" they just search winny and post tyhe best their find. when 2 groups find the same ...
bbaab

Post by bbaab »

e-Viper wrote: there goes all the raw files :twisted:

basicly groups like leet-raws don't capture all their "releases" they just search winny and post tyhe best their find. when 2 groups find the same ...
Saiyaman encodes his own raws, IIRC (so they're not as useful if you want to base your own fansub on them, but they're smaller - and thus better if you just want to watch them).
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Oh gawd so l33traws isn't really a group they just share stuff they found.

I think adding a grouptag to such files is already idiotic so battling about who found it first is really idiotic. Additionally this means you won't even get consistent files when you download l33traw "releases". Visit TheRealWorld and you will find the same.

From the AniDB point of view these files should not have a grouptag at all but just AniDB added to the filename since we now do nothing else than share the stuff somebody else found. Any "no group" file is as good as a l33traw file.

@bbaab: if sayaman is the encoder then nobody else should delete his tag from the files and add his own -> if l33traws share files encoded by another group / a person that releases files with his own name then in my humble opinion in every case the l33traws tag should be removed and replaced by the tag of the real encoder.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

yeah,

i think so too, if we really don't know who encoded a file but we know that the current group added for the file i.e. "l33t-raws" did definetly not encode it that IMHO the file should be changed to "nogroup".

about those eps, does anyone watch them and would know if the "real" encoder added a text message in the op/ed of the files?

BYe!
EXP
gabbafry

Post by gabbafry »

i never saw some kind of a credit from the encoder, neither l33t or WGR... but it kinda bugs me that some l33t "releases" are the same as WGR and vice versa :evil: i am just a step away from just editing all "my" l33traws i added here to nogroup =) but i'm soooo lazy
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

/me casts resurrection on this thread
*failure, the thread is TOO old*
/me uses Phoenix Down on this thread
*failure, the thread really is TOO old*
/me does thread transmutation and sacrifices a couple of websites like the /b/ category in 4chan
*success!!!*

1337-raws: I want that group to be deleted and the files under them set to no group

HentaiFantasia: all [RAW] files by them should be marked as no group cause they, as 1337-raws only got the files from winny, yet they've done fansubs

the question is, if one would delete a group, what would happen to the files that were under the group? Would they turn to 'no group'? If so, then all the better.

[21:39:57] <DerIdiot> to answer your question nwa: yes if you wipe a group the files under it get assigned to "no group"

consider 1337-raws wiped
Ultima
AniDB Staff

Post by Ultima »

I'm for wiping l33t-raws as well.. just my two-bits since we need mod input :P
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

BTW, nogroup files really should have "crc ok" removed. How do we check if it is ok if we don't know who encoded them? And re-releasers are not to be trusted, of course.
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

some of the winny files have CRC in their filenames