Only display one search result per anime

Please use the "notify mod" feature for minor things. Only major things which need discussion should get posted in the forum

Moderator: AniDB

HeartOfSword

Only display one search result per anime

Post by HeartOfSword »

Note: just to avoid confusion, 1st i'd like to clarify that I'm only talking about the search results page and the Anime list page. I'm NOT talking about the individual info pages for each anime.

when i search for something such as "fullmetal alchemist" i get 6 search results even though there are only 2 fullmetal alchemist anime - the TV series and the movie. the rest of the 4 results are alternate names of the movie.

i think it'll be better if this was changed. it will be good if only one search result per anime will given and the search result will only display the main title. meaning, if i search "fullmetal alchemist" i should only get two results- "Fullmetal Alchemist" and "Fullmetal Alchemist - The Conqueror of Shamballa".

this way, at one glance, i know how many fullmetal alchemist anime there are out there, without having to click on all those alternate-name search results only to find out they are all the same.

also, this will make the differentiating of multi-series animes much easier, eg gundam.

other than for the search engine, i think it will be good if this will also be the default option introduced to the Anime List here: http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=animelist

meaning, only the results for the "Main Title" English name of each anime will be shown.

if users want alternative-name results to appear, they can change the options in their user options. meaning, there will be 4 options for the anime title display (on the search result page).
1. Show Search Results with the Main Title (English)
2. Show Search Results with the Official Title (English)
3. Show Search Results with the Official Title (Japanese)
4. Show Search Results with Titles of Other Languages
(can also add options for widely-used languages)

[btw just wondering, what's the difference between Main Title and Official Title?]
ricce

Post by ricce »

The main title is in Japanese Transcription, and is used as a fallback title if no official title exist for a users preferred language.

And I only get 2 result when serching for "fullmetal alchemist", in your profile chick the "Hide synonyms in anime lists by default" checkbox.
czpetab

Post by czpetab »

Is clicking the "Hide Synonyms" link really that much work (but ricce's solution might be better)? :wink:

Official Title vs Main Title:
anidb wrote:The main title is always the original title in the original language, but written as transcription. For japanese productions that would be a Romaji/Hepburn transcription.
The original title written in the native alphabet should be added as "Official Title" for that language. For japanese productions that would be a Kanji/Kana spelling.
E.g. Azumanga Daioh (Main Title in Japanese in Kunrei-shiki) vs Azumanga Daiou (Official Title in English in Hepburn).