Ranking description text.

Please use the "notify mod" feature for minor things. Only major things which need discussion should get posted in the forum

Moderator: AniDB

animecritic

Ranking description text.

Post by animecritic »

Please change it back. The love it/hate it encourages others to vote very high or low and most of the recently finished anime are really overrated. Most of their permanent ratings jumped up so much higher than the temp ratings right before the anime was almost complete. It seems like this is making the ratings even worse than the animenewsnetwork ratings.

Begins rant:

tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann is extremely overrated. To compare this to the best ones is insulting. The characters are mediocre, simple, generic, cliche. The plot is mediocre. Explosions followed by bigger explosions like power rangers. Crappy dialogue, bad character interactions and predictable character actions. I never thought anything could be that overrated. Most overrated on the planet in my opinion.

End of rant

So can you please change it back? And also maybe let us give votes likes 8.1, 8.2... etc.? Maybe add director overration and company overration as factors in the rating system?
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann is extremely overrated.
I personally think Cowboy Bebop is overrated, but that's all it'll ever be - my personal opinion.
And also maybe let us give votes likes 8.1, 8.2... etc.?
You can do that, just not in the "mainstream" way.

Removing "love it/hate it" shouldn't really make much of a difference there anyway. There's going to be a new INTERFACE for voting (not a new rating SYSTEM just to clarify) where you can give other decimal votes than .5, perhaps the 'love it/hate it' will be removed there, who knows :P
animecritic

Post by animecritic »

thanks for the link Der Idiot. @ nwa I think it would be better to remove the love it/hate it. it is only overrating everything and making people vote at the higher and lower end of the voting spectrum. A person could really love a series and it could be a piece of a crap whether they realize it or not. they could also hate something while being aware that it is good. Maybe there should be a subforum or a guide on how to vote properly, so that personal opinions/biases have less impact.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Alternative idea: why don't we remove numbers greater than 8 and less than 3 from the drop down box?

Rar
animecritic

Post by animecritic »

How about a tier system? When you first make an account you cannot vote higher than 7.5. Your votes must make enough sense before you are allowed to give 8's and then 8.5's and 9's and ... and 10's which I doubt people with more experience would use. If your votes are bad then you can't vote higher than 7 and if they are really bad then you can't vote higher than 6.5 or 6. And users in higher tiers have get more influence with their votes. Less 10's will be used in the system and things like Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann will be kept in check and not be inconceivably overrated. And just remove 2 and below.
gidler

Post by gidler »

It seems that no matter how sophisticated and tard-proof the rating system is made, people keep coming up with bizarre ideas and trying to enforce their own view of what is a "proper" way to vote. So I'm proposing hiding ratings and temp ratings altogether. (This needn't affect things like anime hint. Or not even sorting by rating.)
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Oi, gilder, no trying to out-stupid-suggestion me.

Rar
dooly00000

Post by dooly00000 »

Don't go there. I had all-out war against FMA fans, because I still believe that anime version sucks. <3

Just submit your own reasonable reviews, that's what counts.