Overclassification:

Please use the "notify mod" feature for minor things. Only major things which need discussion should get posted in the forum

Moderator: AniDB

amidsal

Overclassification:

Post by amidsal »

Hello Dudes,

I have been using Anidb for a long, long time. Some time ago, I browsed through the site and I noted that the categories field had been expanded to include other classification. Great idea, I thought. It definitely need some expansion because it was easy to classify two very distinct animes with the same classification. I even suggested three additions to the categories that were missing (not ones that I created myself, just a classification that was used at www.galaxy-of-terror.com and www.mcstories.com)
But when I went to look to the new categories, I was shocked. It took me about 3 minutes just to browse through all the new categories. It is too much complex for a classification system. For example:

# School (6)
* Clubs
* College
* Delinquents
* Elementary School
* High School
* Middle School

Mecha (5)
* Androids
* Piloted Robots
* Power Suits
* Robot Helpers
* Transforming Robots

Breasts (4)
* Boing
* Gigantic Breasts
* Large Breasts
* Small Breasts

Dudes, this is a anime database site, not a fetish one. I already had some experience with web semantics and data classification and this will be hell to maintainers in the short-term and to the users in the long-term (as it will become incredible difficult to keep control of the veraciousness of the Animes classification, excluding the dispute that will happen between users that have different opinions about the same Anime). This needs a urgent cleanup for the sake of Anidb.
No, I am not trying to start a war here, I am just trying to help this site and the community. What do you think ?

[]'s
Amid
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Honestly, the new category system is quite nice. Because you can both do searches on wide categories such as "school" and detailed ones such as "boing".

As for maintaining it, we have baka-sama! He's not really human you know, so he can manage. ;)

Must say I understand what you're talking about though, but like, let's at least try it, so far I'm quite happy with it. It just needs better support on the website.
Amour

Post by Amour »

I would advice more detailed names for each category, and well sorted, because it is hard to understand for non-native speakers.

For example:

# School (6)
* Clubs / Associations
* Delinquents / Truants
* Primary / Elementary School (7 to 11 years)
* Middle School (10 to 15 years)
* High School (14 to 18 years)
* College / University (18+ years)

# Breasts (4)
* Boing / Dancing
* Small Breasts (A to C cup)
* Large Breasts (C to E cup)
* Gigantic Breasts (F+ cup)
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

PetriW wrote:Must say I understand what you're talking about though, but like, let's at least try it, so far I'm quite happy with it. It just needs better support on the website.
all that's really missing is the advanced search panel and some more cleanign up on the cat tree. (moving soem stuff around and adding more stuff and not reducing it :P the theme brahc is rather empty atm)
so far i'm quite satisfied the way the system has turned out.
amidsal

Post by amidsal »

Hi again Dudes,

First of all, I am sorry for posting this message in the wrong topic. It should be in AniDB Discussion. If possible, could you please move this topic to the proper place ?
Back to the subject, please don't misunderstand me as I didn't say that the new system is bad. It IS indeed good and would be very useful, in the best case scenario. What I said is that it will be very troublesome to maintain and if it's not properly maintained it will be possibly worst than the previous system. For example, go to Yakin Butou (a735) and click in the "Enema" category. In the list that will appear click in Baku Hatsu (a1442). If you look in the categories, there's no "Enema" listed, even coming from the Enema index list. Probably there is two tables in databases in which the indexes are not correlated. That means you will have to update manually every anime so that the categories field matches the one from the index list. Do you understand what I am trying to say ?
I may be wrong and may have not considered everything but I am just worried that the descriptions in anidb became far too inaccurate with time because anidb is my (and many other) source of anime information over the entire internet.
Anyway, I am not trying to change anything by myself, I am just highlighting some points that will be of interest to you.

[]'s
Amid
egg

Post by egg »

amidsal wrote:For example, go to Yakin Butou (a735) and click in the "Enema" category. In the list that will appear click in Baku Hatsu (a1442). If you look in the categories, there's no "Enema" listed, even coming from the Enema index list. Probably there is two tables in databases in which the indexes are not correlated.
In this case if you go to the categories page for Baku Hatsu you will see that Enemas is there with half a star. It is not a strong enough weight to show up on the main page for the anime, but it is valid for the search.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

egg wrote:
amidsal wrote:For example, go to Yakin Butou (a735) and click in the "Enema" category. In the list that will appear click in Baku Hatsu (a1442). If you look in the categories, there's no "Enema" listed, even coming from the Enema index list. Probably there is two tables in databases in which the indexes are not correlated.
In this case if you go to the categories page for Baku Hatsu you will see that Enemas is there with half a star. It is not a strong enough weight to show up on the main page for the anime, but it is valid for the search.
indeed. the search takes it as valid atm as it doesn't use weights atm.

for anythign to show up on the anime page a minimal weight of ** is needed
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

Well,

I agree that maintaining such a detailed category set for each anime is a lot of work. However, if "we" manage to deal with it (maybe we could clone baka-san if needed...) it offers a lot of nice possibilities.

If the categories for an anime are set sensibly then a single glance at the filtered category list will already tell you a lot about the anime. Especially if one has strong dislikes for certain themes/genres/... it is a great way to do some quick filtering.
And once we have a working interface for the category search it might already help ppl to find animes which they just vaguely remember. I.e. "it was about middle school and was playing in space".

I think our main problem atm is not the number of categories, but rather the interfaces users have to use to interact with them. In the long run propper maintenance will become a key element though, I agree with you on that.
But that's what we have work-monkeys for! }:o)

BYe!
EXP
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

The categories were a real mess some time ago, they still kind of are and some branches need to be revaluated, but it's a tedious task that nobody really wants to do. For example I'm really concerned about the Breasts sub-tree, I'm not sure what does boing really mean and when it should be used (I'm guessing it's the gainax invention of bouncy boobs) not to mention the fact that people may interpret the sizes differently.
I've been thinking about it (about the boobs) and in my opinion that branch should be removed entirely and gigantic breasts should be added under Fetishes and then the size can be displayed through the weight as in *** is Mamahaha and * is um... Tsuma Tsuma or something. I'd lose small breasts as lolicon should more or less cover that.

As said, tedious work...
kidan

Post by kidan »

boing: http://z0r.de/?id=324

And I think it's a useful option to add, as it gives anime using this quite a cheesy undertone most of the time. And mixing lolicon with small breasts is not ok imho, as there are also lolis with quite big racks.
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

kidan wrote:And mixing lolicon with small breasts is not ok imho, as there are also lolis with quite big racks.
Show me 1 example beside Eiken.

Also, the boing thing pretty much happens in every H anime, does that mean it should be added by default for every H? Like the Sex category?
I'd say remove the breasts branch under ecchi and replace it with Boing then if it's a good cat to have, and move gigantic or large breasts under fetishes and then the size can be measured in weight... *** = 6 KG each... and although I'm rather against it, small breasts can also be added there, then.
CrowJuice

Post by CrowJuice »

I must say that I'm very satisfied by the wide range of categories and sub-categories. Personally I would like it to expand even more.

I also like how weight comes into play. It says so much about an anime by how many stars each category has.