miss-renamed file?

misc client related stuff

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

Snakes

miss-renamed file?

Post by Snakes »

to begin with Im not entirely shure if this is a client issiue or a DB issiue but here goes.

I have a series called Fantastic Children (aid=2387)(havent seen it yet though) that I wanted to take with me on my laptop so I actually could see it. now, trying to copy the files to my laptop I encountered a file that has been renamed wrong when I ran the series through AOM to verify the files and rename them to the all familiar file names. :)

episode 7 (FID=26520) of fantastic children is renamed to "Fantastic Children - 07 - B襯rt`s Children [mahou](F6E1B47E)[AniDB].avi" while the DB lists the episode name should be Béfort`s Children. trouble is, my laptop cant handle foreign characters while this does so thats why I noticed it when I tried to copy it to the laptop.. ;)

anyhows, why is it renamed this way, I cant say I see anything wrong in the DB and I use standard settings in AOM.
Andemon

Post by Andemon »

Happens to me all the time; I usually only find out about it when I try to burn the file.

As far I understand it -- and it could be that I'm utterly wrong -- none of the anime titles and episode names in AniDB should contain illegal characters. They should be valid under most (all?) filesystems, which means that 'é' in that episode name isn't allowed and it should instead be replaced with 'e'.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Combination of anidb being pants, windows being pants, and delp... er... you get the idea. Really, the current spec all 'English' and 'Romaji' fields should be ascii only, but germans/french like their diacritics.

Rar
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

It's an AniDB API issue, it switches character set every now and then which makes aom display it wrong. If the API didn't insist on changing character set it would work fine.
Non-ascii characters should be written using html encoding to be safe.
egg

Post by egg »

My solution to issues like this was to get rid of the ep_name... Many titles were too long to burn with the epname anyway, so it took care of two issues at once... I do have this problem with some anime names, but there are a LOT fewer issues.
Snakes

Post by Snakes »

mhhkay..
but its somewhat funny though how éfo becomes 襯 :?

Andemon, all the time? afaik, this is the first time it has happened to me..

Egg, I kinda like the way the standard rename rule, Ill admit, its a bit long but it doesnt bother me. when it comes to burning it out on dvd's its no prob, Ill just let nero trunkate the name for me. afterall its only the last bit that goes away.. ;)
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Sure it's funny but it's "normal" since it is a conversion error. The most basic example is URLs in your webbrowser. Spaces are entered via "%20", which is a space in certain charsets converted right. AniDB converts those spaces in filenames in ed2k links into "_" (underscore). There are a lot of conversions going on on the net, another case would be during mailtransfer. Your basic charset has 8 bit (255 character) but a long long time that was too much for many mailservers in the network (Internet) which only understood 127 chars and therefor before sending any email, good mail programs converted every char above the 127 char limit into a special combination of characters only containing characters within the first 127 characters (8bit to 7bit ASCII conversion).

It simply happens that é is mapped to that specific kanji in this case. Could've been anything, evern | or ) or those funny characters now within Unicode windows fonts that resemble hearts and arrows :)
Andemon

Post by Andemon »

Snakes wrote:Andemon, all the time? afaik, this is the first time it has happened to me..
Often enough. Happens at least once per week to me, just ran across episodes 7 and 21 of Weiss Kreuz TV (Entführen/Träne) for example.

...btw, just double-checking here; if I've understood correctly, they should be creqed to something that doesn't mess up the renaming, but which method is correct? 'Träne' to 'Trane', or 'Träne' to 'Träne' (HTML-escaped)? I think I remember exp saying that we should use the former, but I'm not quite sure...
Hoerie

Post by Hoerie »

In the specific case of the umlaut, one could also add an extra 'e'. Träne would then become Traene...
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

yeah and "ß" (ß) can be changed into "ss". Same applies to the uppercase versions of Umlaute, "Ä" = "Ae"

We germans "invented" this to always be able to use our language no matter what ;-)

I guess this was because many typewriters after the war did not have umlaute and we had to be creative :)
Snakes

Post by Snakes »

we do that here in norway too, where æ could be written as ae, ø as oe and å as aa.

actually, when it comes to shopping on the net, from the states for instance, I always use those letter combinations instead of æøå as it can potentially save me from troubles with shop db's unable to handle those special chars messing up my name and adress ;)
Amour

Post by Amour »

Well, as long as there won't be any field for French episode names, I won't use the rename feature, because I dislike to have French subs with English filenames.
egg

Post by egg »

Amour wrote:Well, as long as there won't be any field for French episode names, I won't use the rename feature, because I dislike to have French subs with English filenames.
Then make a push for handling more languages, then you can bug PetriW to support it.
Amour

Post by Amour »

egg wrote:Then make a push for handling more languages, then you can bug PetriW to support it.
I was the one to submit this request... didn't you notice? ;)