Come on... finish it already...

misc client related stuff

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

Skywalka

Come on... finish it already...

Post by Skywalka »

I am close to running out of diskspace and I won't go out and buy another harddrive just because AoM 0.6 is now in development for over 8 months. I now have 180 GBof Anime on diskspace I need for other temporal stuff, I will start burning those 40 DVD and once that is done I will simply delete other things, which means some parts of my files will not be hashed.

Considering I have some files that are most likely not in too many other Mylists I think you should really push yourself a bit PetriW to get this thing done within 2004. It would really be nice, you know how much of a sucker I am for valid AniDB Information, hence the goddamn huge amount of CREQs and now HDDs which I acCumulated just because I want to run everything through a 0.6 hash before deleting parts.

Anyway. Move. Your. Butt. Thx :-)
Last edited by Skywalka on Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

Let me try the open-source-excuse #1 - flames via PM, please:

If you want to have it finished sooner, learn Delphi and help out ;)
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

I'm working on it! :cry:
(But due to a recent contribution by xaffa something will be released.)
Ultima
AniDB Staff

Post by Ultima »

yatta :)
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

in fig leaves ^_^
e-Viper

Post by e-Viper »

Skywalka, why don't you burn and rehash them later from DVD
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

because it takes 45 minutes to hash a single 1x burned DVD.

And I have 300 of those. Go figure. Would take 19 days if I am up 16 hours a day and juggling discs all the time.
MaJutsu

Post by MaJutsu »

hash them with the recent AoM version ;)
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

wow... that was a really bright comment. Do you think I have twenty 160 GB harddiscs just laying around? I already _did_ that. Twice. With the AoM version that does not automatically add CREQs, then again with the version that does. Now I am waiting for the new version which most likely will add a couple of other automatically CREQed values like the bitrates. I have issued and got granted around 4000 CREQs and I don't want to manually transfer the info I got from GSPot and AoM to AniDB, that's just taking too much of my precious time. The HDDs were the more reasonable approach but at the moment I lack the money to simply add more HDDs and have them ready for any hashing process. I'd have to buy Firewire cases again and I simply don't want to do that. Too much of a hassle.

But I guess you folks are right, the best idea now is to get more 8x burnable DVDs, use those and that results in faster hashability of those discs for they can be read faster and it will only take about 10 minutes per disc to hash them. I might even consider copying over the data from the old discs to new ones because the old ones were cheap and maybe the quality is so bad that they degrade too fast and I won't be able to read the data on them in a couple of months. We'll see. I guess I'll wait untill Dual Layer DVD-R are around 1 Euro and then halve the amount of discs that way too. Or I'll make the step directly to blueray but that will possibly take another three years because of the cartridge problem.

But I guess I am getting carried away :-)
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

The pressure. :cry:
e-Viper

Post by e-Viper »

Skywalka wrote:Do you think I have twenty 160 GB harddiscs just laying around?
160 is basicly wasting controller slots. Reason I went for 250ers
Skywalka wrote:but at the moment I lack the money to simply add more HDDs
That's always the problem. If we wanted to invest crazy money/have that amount of money, everyone would just have all his anime on HD and a second set of discs as backup.
(atm 45% of my collection is still at disc)

On the hashing from DVD part, Petriw could just be evil and don't include a conversion tool to set old know files to the new version. Then I have to re-hash them all.
Otoh by the time the new version comes out prolly most of knowfiles in the section DVDROM drive are gone :cry: . Well better to have a halfworking client that loses some info then have none at all :D
It may take 15/30 min to hash a DVD but it's not like its that mutch effort, it just will take some time
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

trust me. I did that with 100 DVD-R and it took me four weeks complete with sorting out the bad-crc files and re-burning the discs.

My collection tripled since then. I honestly do not want to juggle discs for three months. I am home for about four hours a day. That's 8 discs, 8 disc changes, and a month worth of disc juggling if I do it every evening. If you have that much time...

What I simply feel is that 0.6 won't have all fields covered and then when 0.7 comes out or 0.8 I'll have to do it all over again. The discussion about another hash gave me the creeps already :-)

I won't mind if it takes PetriW longer as long as he puts in bitrate calculation and the option to put in a disc, hash all files from that disc and have it automatically set all files that are hashed from that disc to "disc xyz" in the "Storage information" field in my mylist as well as changing the storage to "on disc".

That would be a reason to get all discs off the shelve :-)
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Skywalka wrote:I won't mind if it takes PetriW longer as long as he puts in bitrate calculation and the option to put in a disc, hash all files from that disc and have it automatically set all files that are hashed from that disc to "disc xyz" in the "Storage information" field in my mylist as well as changing the storage to "on disc".
Actually, atm it's like this (coded it last weekend!)

Known files have 4 categories, with this kind of structure:

Code: Select all

Harddrive
    _drive name (hdd letter)_
    一(C:\)
    二(D:\)
  CD/DVD/Removable
    _media name_
    DVD #001
    DVD #049
  Network
    _computer name_
    zoink
      _share name_
      cshare
  Unknown
    _full path_
Paths can be case sensitive, it checks the source before judging if it can treat something as case insensitive.
Lokhor

Post by Lokhor »

I use the old anidb client still and it completely kills my system when its loading and when its running, it chews like 400mb of ram :(

How much longer till the new client is finished, and will it be much more resource friendly?
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Lokhor wrote:I use the old anidb client still and it completely kills my system when its loading and when its running, it chews like 400mb of ram :(

How much longer till the new client is finished, and will it be much more resource friendly?
To reduce ram usage go to your kowai folder and delete all files except the local_* ones, that should keep you good for a little longer.

Current version of the client uses 4mb ram, granted when all is done that won't be possible but I aim to keep it below 20mb. (And updates will be worse since they already use like 7mb compressed + 17mb uncompressed.)