Autonumbering width

misc client related stuff

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

Skywalka

Autonumbering width

Post by Skywalka »

Hi there.

I stumbled across the fact that the first few episodes of a series are always numbered in single digits. 1, 2, 3, 4 and so on. Obviously this is a problem once you get in the two digit range and even in the three digit range in some series (taking into account that someday next year with blueray disc I will be able to store all my 170 Ranma Episodes on one medium in one directory).

This would give me the following sorting in the file manager

And that sucks.

I would like to ask AOM to number the files depending on how many files there are in the corresponding Anime on Anidb.net.

If the series has upto 9 episodes then it should be 1 digit, upto 99 two digits, upto 999 three digits and so on.

Same goes to specials for every anime.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Eh, doesn't is do that already?
With the default file renaming pattern it creates ed2k links that look like this:
[url]ed2k://|file|Inuyasha - 001 - Girl Who Overcame Time and the Boy Who Was Just Overcome [Anime-4ever]{e2509612}.ogm|241365696|df127bfa6ab4346a1f67d4486f839d60|/[/url]
The only renaming tag that doesn't follow this pattern is "%epart" which only supports up to 7 parts anyway.

However, the program never displays padded numbers in the UI since it can sort them properly and I don't see why it should.
egg

Post by egg »

There was a problem with this a long time ago, but the file names are padded. My Ranma is listed correctly, padded with zeros....
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

I guess I know why this happens: number of episodes unknows (0), currently released files between 1 and 9.

That way AoM can not know there will be more episodes than 9 and will number the files accordingly.

Unfortunately I _know_ there will be more than 9 episodes and I _know_ I will have to re-name these files later because of this.

So let me re-phrase it: I want at least two digits for numbering for I also regard naming conventions for OVAs a bit silly.

For instance

3x3 Eyes, shin - 1.avi

I like this way better:

3x3 Eyes, shin - 01.avi

So maybe you could introduce some way to have your files numbered according to a format you can enter, like in Excel. For instance %e00 for two digit numbering and %e000 for three digit numbering - this should overrule the current numbering but not shorten numbers that are longer (like for instance shortening Ranma 113 if the naming patterin is %e00)

Thanks for considering this.

The reason why I request it is that I only have AoM auot-rename files in my "incoming files" folder and later on rename them myself (like for instance Ghost in the Shell which is at the moment named after the romaji japanese title automatically and I don't want that). If I set my other folders to auto-rename too it would ruin all the manually entered filenames I added later.

Basically I use AoM to get rid of all the underscores and stuff that happen to be part of every downloaded file for compatibility reasons.
egg

Post by egg »

I don't think one digit looks silly if there are fewer than 10 episodes.

If you still have the files on your computer and you have AOM rename files, when it goes to 10 (or even 100) files, it will automatically rename the files accordingly... This happened to me when PoT went higher than 100 episodes.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Hmm, yeah I could add that.
And about using the wrong titles I'll try to fix that too, soo much to do though.
egg

Post by egg »

PetriW wrote:Hmm, yeah I could add that.
And about using the wrong titles I'll try to fix that too, soo much to do though.
Could you make it a different macro (2 digit minimum macro...)? That way it will not affect other people.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

If course, this will be a custom macro.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

egg wrote:I don't think one digit looks silly if there are fewer than 10 episodes.
Sure, why not. Tastes differ.
egg wrote: If you still have the files on your computer and you have AOM rename files, when it goes to 10 (or even 100) files, it will automatically rename the files accordingly... This happened to me when PoT went higher than 100 episodes.
Of course you do. I wouldn't have thunk. :roll:
That's what AoM usually does...

That's why I added the part about me renaming files to something else after AoM named and numbered them. I can't force AoM to leave the Anime name alone and just autonumber the files, that's impossible at the moment.

To be more specific: I don't always want japanese romaji titles but that is what AoM always uses to name the files by. So sometimes I happen to know an Anime by the english title for ages and then I end up with the japanese romaji title. I don't know what that series is cause I don't know it's japanese romaji name - and I don't want to learn it now.

Additionally you might want to take into account that some people out there download a series and _know_ that it will span more than 9 episodes and they only have a CD-R burner so they will have only room for about three or four episodes on each medium. On disc one and two they will most likely have 1 digit numbers and suddenly on disc three (because the series is now spanning more than 9 episodes) they are numbered with two digits. If those users shoud then get a DVD burner they'll have to rename files again later and it's kinda hard to have AoM autorename files on CD-R later which are
a) write protected
and
b) most likely in a CD case on the shelf.

;-)
egg

Post by egg »

Skywalka wrote: To be more specific: I don't always want japanese romaji titles but that is what AoM always uses to name the files by. So sometimes I happen to know an Anime by the english title for ages and then I end up with the japanese romaji title. I don't know what that series is cause I don't know it's japanese romaji name - and I don't want to learn it now.
True, this does get annoying... Of course the opposite will happen when he adds support for language preference, I will get animes that I know the romanji, but don't know the English.....
Skywalka wrote:Additionally you might want to take into account that some people out there download a series and _know_ that it will span more than 9 episodes and they only have a CD-R burner so they will have only room for about three or four episodes on each medium. On disc one and two they will most likely have 1 digit numbers and suddenly on disc three (because the series is now spanning more than 9 episodes) they are numbered with two digits. If those users shoud then get a DVD burner they'll have to rename files again later and it's kinda hard to have AoM autorename files on CD-R later which are
a) write protected
and
b) most likely in a CD case on the shelf.
;-)
Personally if I was going to take them from CD to DVD, I would copy them to the hard-drive, run AOM (to validate CRCs and make sure there was no corruption), and have AOM rename them at this time, then burn them to DVD. Even if I only had room for one CD at a time on my HD, this would rename properly. 8)

BTW, by this time AOM will be upgraded and support English titles, special characters, multiple parts for movies and multiple episode files, so I won't have to worry about fixing the names after AOM... :lol:

Sorry, Skywalka, I just had to disagree...
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

egg wrote:True, this does get annoying... Of course the opposite will happen when he adds support for language preference, I will get animes that I know the romanji, but don't know the English.....
I intend to make it possible to override the default setting on a per anime basis.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

*hops up and down*

When when when when?

Oh, and on a sidenote: don't forget my requested option to set the name of the medium you saved the animes to by the name of which directory they are in (e.g. c:\anime\anime dvd 1\ <- Storage = Anime DVD 1)

I know this might be hard but it would be very nice if this would be in any way possible.

I might even want to do this manually but this is kinda hard. Last time I checked it wasn't possible - if it was possible to select files in the "known files" tab then it would be very easy for me to add that information by hand - I mean alltogether 1 TB data fits onto app. 200 DVDs, that would mean I'd have to do that 200 times but that is nothing compared to the about 5000 times I would have to click to select each file on the website or to select the files in the "mylist" tab of AoM because there I'd have to select them multiple times too (since at the moment it is impossible to set the information for more than one file at a time).