Anime Character info? [DENIED]

AniDB Client Feature Requests go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

Wlah2

Anime Character info? [DENIED]

Post by Wlah2 »

how about making it possible to ad additional character info for anime? with comments and which seiryu and stuff.
zaufany

Post by zaufany »

I'm second.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Umm, isn't that why there are links to AnimeNFO all over the place ?
Wlah2

Post by Wlah2 »

do you really think animenfo's character db is good? I know i dont. since there's almost no way of adding additional info to animenfo... for anidb we got a lot of users so adding info for all chars wouldnt be impossible.
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Re: Anime Character info?

Post by wahaha »

Wlah2 wrote:[...]which seiryu and stuff.
*wahaha slaps Wlah with random FY-stuff... ^^

My main problem with that idea is: If implemented, I bet it'll start as a mere copy of (mainly) animenfo's information. It feels a bit like taking them over... :roll:
exp
Site Admin

Re: Anime Character info?

Post by exp »

wahaha wrote:
Wlah2 wrote:[...]which seiryu and stuff.
*wahaha slaps Wlah with random FY-stuff... ^^

My main problem with that idea is: If implemented, I bet it'll start as a mere copy of (mainly) animenfo's information. It feels a bit like taking them over... :roll:
That's the main problem i see too.
We would most likely end up copying even more of their db into anidb. Even as it is now we're streching it with all the animenfo images and anime descriptions.
I am not opposed to adding additional info to anidb, however i don't want ppl to "steal" animenfo data and insert it in anidb and that is exactly what would happen.
So for now i'd rather stick to new features which improve anidb without promoting any animenfo ripping.

BYe!
EXP
Wlah
AniDB Staff

Post by Wlah »

yes I'm a necromancer :P
But I was thinking this over and wondered if it would be a good idea to add characters but at first not add seiyuu's
sorta like this:
Anime:
Character name: Full name if possible
Role: main female/male char, support, non-important, bystander etc.
First appeared (ep):
appears (eps): (mainly for support chars)
Relations: not sure how to handle this one but making "sub-relations" like boyfriend, family etc would be cool. ONLY listing the important relations
Role/part in story: [SPOILER] what the role of the character is (again mainly for support chars)[/spoiler]

example:
Anime: Ranma 1/2 (aid linked)
Character name: Akane Tendou (should be choosable, western or japanese way)
Role: Main female character
First appeared: Episode 1
Appears: every episode (with exceptions,I think)
Relations: Ranma Saotome (possible romantic interest)
Family: Kasumi Tendou, Soun Tendou, Nabiki Tendou
Part in story: Ranma Saotome's fianceé

I'd want it because animenfo doesnt list sub-chars and stuff... for anidb ALL characters -could- be added (in theory)

/me waits for the 2nd denial :|
gholovo

Post by gholovo »

I think this may be a little more information than is needed.

And, besides, you're missing the most important aspect of any anime character: hair color.

While we're at it, we can add birth date, blood type, favorite foods...

But, seriously, I don't know that all this information is necessary. A listing of family? A 'Part in Story' field? Certainly the former will either be obvious or something of a spoiler, depending on the series, and I think the latter, since it would need to be filled in as a text box anyway, would be better left to a short description of the character.

The only pieces of information (outside voice actor etc.) that I can imagine needing to be in a form are name, sex, series, and first appearance.

Then again, no one has ever accused me of being wise.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

gholovo wrote:And, besides, you're missing the most important aspect of any anime character: hair color.

Yeah, and take over all character fan-sites, too. The Internet belongs to AniDB! AniDB is the Internet! Muahahahahaaa!

Err... :oops:

:mrgreen:
Wlah
AniDB Staff

Post by Wlah »

gholovo wrote:
I think this may be a little more information than is needed.

And, besides, you're missing the most important aspect of any anime character: hair color.

But, seriously, I don't know that all this information is necessary. A listing of family? A 'Part in Story' field? Certainly the former will either be obvious or something of a spoiler, depending on the series, and I think the latter, since it would need to be filled in as a text box anyway, would be better left to a short description of the character.

The only pieces of information (outside voice actor etc.) that I can imagine needing to be in a form are name, sex, series, and first appearance.

Then again, no one has ever accused me of being wise.
I was making a suggestion :) if you have corrections feel free to say them.
I forgot to add that pictures should of course be a possibility.

My initial thought is making anidb into a BETTER character database than Animenfo is currently.
What fields and what information to be added can always be discussed...

Right now I just want to get this idea confirmed (a maybe would be ok) or denied (NO!!!!).

edit: I guess a seperate database for characters and adding links to that from anidb would be a much better idea.. I just dont know how to code :(
it sucks getting great ideas but not have the ability to get it made.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well,

I don't see a reason why this should be denied, however I think there are tons of other features which would be of more use to the anidb users.
But yeah, in general something like this could be added someday.

BYe!
EXP
tupou

Post by tupou »

There are links to both AnmeNFO and AnimeNewsNetworks entries more often than not. Why not use them?
Wlah
AniDB Staff

Post by Wlah »

tupou wrote:There are links to both AnmeNFO and AnimeNewsNetworks entries more often than not. Why not use them?
animenfo is limited (not even ranma has char info) and anyone cannot add info.
ANN only has seiyuu information about characters and only for limited series.
I want something better is all.
gholovo

Post by gholovo »

Wlah: Since I'm not sure that my intentions were clear, upon re-reading my post, I'd like to explain what I meant, precisely.

I did not mean that this information should not necessarily be added to the entry for a character, but that much of the information was far better suited to a short description of the character in prose than to a specific field in a form.

Also, I agree that this would be better in a separate database, and join you in lamenting my lack of coding skills. You'd think that a small proficiency in a dozen languages would translate to a good proficiency in at least one language, but it seems that the world simply does not work that way.

I also agree with exp that there are more important features to be added first. I'd rather have an AniDB that does everything I need it to than an AniDB that does everything I want it to (to the exlusion of what I need).

I think I just like agreeing, perhaps.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Ok, serious:

A "community info" database with relevant factoids about animes would be quite interesting. Indexing anime characters, relations to other characters and animes and when and where the character first appeared would be a good start. The whole thing could be extended to include other relevant places or objects.

However, such a database should be separated from AniDB, simply for functional reasons. The anime-pages on AniDB are already quite full. Adding more information there would clutter the page, and linking yet another sub-info page would be quite bothersome. It might just be an issue of properl navigation, but on the frontend, it would be best if there was a separate "AniInfoDB" (subject to change) that uses AniDB's database only lists all the paraphernalia and no files. Links on the anime pages take you from one to another, but once in one site, normal links or searches shouldn't make the user leave.

And yeah... there are more pressing issues before this one.

Shadow files, anyone? :twisted: