Anime Character info? [DENIED]

AniDB Client Feature Requests go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Elberet wrote:However, such a database should be separated from AniDB, simply for functional reasons. The anime-pages on AniDB are already quite full. Adding more information there would clutter the page, and linking yet another sub-info page would be quite bothersome. It might just be an issue of properl navigation, but on the frontend, it would be best if there was a separate "AniInfoDB" (subject to change) that uses AniDB's database only lists all the paraphernalia and no files. Links on the anime pages take you from one to another, but once in one site, normal links or searches shouldn't make the user leave.
Or simply not displayed on the main anime information page but rather imagine there being tabs where you can either show files or character information.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

There are many solutions and many ways to organize the navigation structure within each of and between the two sites. I just described the one I think would be most useable, as I think that it'd be not a bad idea to separate the file-database from the info-database.
Wlah
AniDB Staff

Post by Wlah »

nt
Last edited by Wlah on Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

With how many incredibly stupid things people would add I'd suggest against an unmoderated wiki. :roll:
I don't mind wiki, I just mind anyone (and tbh a lot of uncouth kids watch anime) being able to change stuff.

And if I wanted to have a site like ann/anfo with info like this that was more complete... then I'd figure out how to help there, not create yet another site just because theirs didn't fit my taste.
I don't mind expanding anidb but I think making a site separate from anidb (even if it's linked by name) is a bad idea.
Ultima
AniDB Staff

Post by Ultima »

I dunno Petriw, animenfo has a character db, but it's closed to the public. ANN has all sorts of info, but only lists character seiyuu and not descriptions or pictures of them. I really don't see a problem with creating a seperate site dedicated to just character information. Users can use other sites for anime information. I'm all for AniDB expanding it's information base to include character descriptions. At least exp isn't against the idea, but I guess this isn't the time to implement that part of AniDB yet ;)
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Ok, if you're gonna do something like this I just have a few warnings about doing it in a wiki:

1) A wiki, especially mediawiki is freely editable, you'll have no control whatsoever what people enter and you'll get stuff like edit wars with people trying to protect what they like best.
2) A template system doesn't work, people don't follow it. Aka welcome to edit hell. (Go to wikipedia and you'll find hundreds of different ways to do the same thing.)
3) Even if you get said template system to work if you ever want to change it you have to change ALL pages.
4) In a wiki style system you tend to get several different versions of the same data. There are ways around this but it's not easy to manage, stuff has a tendency to get messy and lost, causing extra work.
5) Wikipedia is not id based, it's string based, meaning if someone adds a character with a misspelled name all references to that page need to be edited rather than all pages updating automagically.

Wiki is fast and easy to start but it's not fast and easy once it gets somewhat big. I'm not sure you understand the enormous amount of extra work a system like wiki can generate.
Just imagine having to mod anidb, in a wiki style system. Just check ANN how much data you can get for a few animes.

Oh and for making a site separate from anidb.
You then get problems with information duplication. Aka, you two places to update anime titles, images, descriptions, producers, urls, release dates, genres, anime type, maybe even episode listings and god knows what I skipped.
Plus, when you make two sites you get people pulling in different directions, there'll be stuff done on the new site that should really be done on anidb.

Why not spend the effort to learn perl and help exp instead? I'm certain he'd accept help, especially if you really want to help.
And if you can code php you can learn perl, there are horror stories out there for certain but it's just another scripting language just like others out there. Once you get used to a language it's just like any other (well, mostly :roll: ).
Ultima
AniDB Staff

Post by Ultima »

Hmm, I believe PetriW presented pretty good points Wlah. I guess it would be more useful to actually learn Perl and help exp to code AniDB 8)
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

Ultima wrote:I dunno Petriw, animenfo has a character db, but it's closed to the public.
In fact, it isn't. When being logged in, you can submit a picture and description for every character listed - that doesn't work for their seiyuu list, though.
Ultima
AniDB Staff

Post by Ultima »

Oh, I see :) gomen ^^;
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Characters and Seiyuus are the two things I miss from AniDB. I know exp want us to use the existing sites for them (ie. AnimeNFO) but lately they are not that good as AniDB. Anyway, making that database would be a loooot of work. :?