Option for Latest Series - similar to Latest Files [DONE]

AniDB Client Feature Requests go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

spankydam

Option for Latest Series - similar to Latest Files [DONE]

Post by spankydam »

To add to the latest files option, could we have one for each new series that is added to the DB? Or some way of showing the new stuff that is coming out.

Hopefully this way I (and all the other users) can then easily see each new seasons anime as soon as the fansubs start (thanks again for all the other subs I've enjoyed).

Just a thought, not sure how hard to implement, I'm presuming that each anime series title is on a table with a primary key, so all you'd need to do would be to take the last xx entries sorted on that key and display - similar to the 'latest files' feature - perhaps even have it as an option from the screen displayed when you call up that feature.

Just something that would make things easier for me to then look at the write-ups and make my decisions on which series are worth having a look at as they arrive, and which to avoid like the plague from the newsgroups.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Isn't that what we have AnimeNFO for? :P
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

On second thought, it might be a worthwhile idea to make the anime list sortable by the exact date an anime was added rather then only the release year.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Looking at how many people keep asking about 'What do you think of the newest shows', it might be worthwhile to make a stat which shows the shows of the current season, or to be able to display a season itself.
Just suggesting for fun, probably not worthwhile implementing, although it would be nice ;)
spankydam

Post by spankydam »

On second thought, it might be a worthwhile idea to make the anime list sortable by the exact date an anime was added rather then only the release year.
Something like this is very similar to what I was trying to get at in my initial posting - but I reckon this may be an even better implementation if possible - the newest 20 anime series added could very simply be found using this method.

Low priority to some of the more important stuff out there, but again just an idea to make a great tool even better.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

hm,

i'll think about this. shouldn't be to hard.
however it's pretty low in priority.
hm, @sorting animelist, that would mean that i'd have to display the date of adding too in that table, seems kinda wastefull as it's, by itself, not a very interesting information.

BYe!
EXP
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

The "date added" column can safely replace the Year column. Maybe add a link beneath the "hide animes i have" link that replaces the columns. Or implement a generic solution that allows users to customize freely which columns they want to see in the animelist. :P

*/me waits for Noir to ring at his front door."
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

hm,

i don't think so, the year colum is pretty important and the added date value will not allow you to decide how old/new an anime is as most of them simply haven't been added before.
-> latest addition @ anime might well be an anime from 1973.
Elberet wrote:*/me waits for Noir to ring at his front door."
still collecting money :roll:

BYe!
EXP
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Yeah, but isn't that what spankydam wanted, to find out which animes have been added to the DB most recently?
exp wrote:the year colum is pretty important
That's of course true. I should have stressed the "temporarily" in the previous post, since the replacing was only meant as a suggestion to sort the table by the add-date without adding a useless column to the animelist: by default, the table has the year column, while the special sorting is in effect, the column gets replaced.

Yet another idea would be to add the column but use CSS/JS to hide/show it on the client side. But then again, users of not-state-of-the-art-browsers will cry for a profile setting to disable these extra columns.
exp wrote:
Elberet wrote:*/me waits for Noir to ring at his front door."
still collecting money :roll:
Guess I should cut it out a little. Gomene. :) But this is the first time in I forgot how long that I'm on the other side of the fence and can freely have ideas without just adding to my own TODO list. :mrgreen:
spankydam

Post by spankydam »

Elberet wrote:
That's of course true. I should have stressed the "temporarily" in the previous post, since the replacing was only meant as a suggestion to sort the table by the add-date without adding a useless column to the animelist: by default, the table has the year column, while the special sorting is in effect, the column gets replaced.
The year created column is more important to be shown on the anime list, and to my mind we shouldn't change the functionality already in place for the main lists, so I'd have to disagree with Elberet here - too much potential for confusion as to which set of information you're looking at.

Which is why I thought that this might be best as an option linked under the 'latest additions' page - a link at the top of that page could toggle between latest files added to the DB, and latest Anime Series added.

This would put the information in to the logical place people would go to look for it, and keep it separate from the main display...

Not sure how hard to implement, but at least the idea hasn't been rejected immediately so I'm happy that it's now in exp's head and something will no doubt come of it in the future
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

listing animes and groups on the latest additions page is now implemented.

BYe!
EXP
Iceman[grrrr]

Post by Iceman[grrrr] »

You should change the link in the left frame to: latest additions :roll:
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well,

i am not sure about that.
as most ppl are only interested in the files anyway.
and i also plan to keep the seperate latest review link
as it promotes the review system.

BYe!
EXP