Startup without automatic updating

AniDB Client Feature Requests go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

molitar

Startup without automatic updating

Post by molitar »

Many times I will already updated anidb and finish a download off a tracker and will start AniDB and once again wait the several minutes while it updates itself when I already updated it possibly a couple of hours ago or sooner. Or I will say oops I forgot to process said directory and have to wait to start it up...

This causes two issues one I have to wait for several minutes before I can process a directory.. Two that it just adds more burden to the AniDB Database since it has to re-update a client that has already been updated just a short while ago. So I would like to see an option to start without automatic update and give me a manual way of updating the database.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Will never happen, aom will not implement this, it does not take several minutes to update if you've updated within the last 24 hours, rather it takes about 20 seconds, the startup time of the client is already far longer than this. Also, the updating does not prevent you from hashing files, just drop the files onto aom while it's updating and it'll hash them immediately.

The TCP API will also not let you update if too many are using it at the same time, so all that would happen on excess load is that the automatic update will be delayed a little.
molitar

Post by molitar »

Ok if it's not the database download causing the slow startup than why would it take almost a full minute to start. Does it not handle large databases well or something? It took aproximately 50 seconds before the actual window for it showed up.. the rest of the time the progress bar would stall many times in it's process.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

It loads the database into ram, that's why it takes time, I was lazy when creating the thing. ;) It doesn't connect to anidb before the main window appears.