AMVs in AniDB [DENIED]

AniDB Client Feature Requests go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

LStranger

AMVs in AniDB [DENIED]

Post by LStranger »

Hey, people!
I'm glad to see you here.
I want to propose new feature to AniDB - to add AMVs there. There is not any database for music videos, at least none of my friends know any. Since AniDB is perfect database for anime, it's almost ready to handle AMV too. We could, for example, add AMV the same way as special (or may be, create other database alike anime database?) eps.

Each AMV database record must have:
- anime title;
- AMV title (if given by creator);
- lenght in min:sec [anime database have only min, sec is new field];
- release date;
- description;
- producer (creator) [new field];
- artist (music performer) [new field];
- song [new field].Each AMV will be consist of 1 episode always.

If there will be such database, I could add above two hundreds AMVs that I have already and generate ed2k links for its. ;)
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

LStranger wrote:We could, for example, add AMV the same way as special eps.
Nope, that's out of the question. I have to admit that I've never actually watched an Anime music video, but from what I read in the Animereactor forum, there are AMVs that use one anime's video and a different anime's soundtrack (at least partially). Where would you add those videos?

No, I think this requires a separate database (read: tables for amvs, amv-files and possibly a number of relation tables), but I guess exp will want to implement certain other feautures first before this. ;)
zaufany

Post by zaufany »

It was denied some time ago. OST and manga were denied too. AniDB is only for anime.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Good to know. ^^
How about stickying a "Previously Denied Feautures" thread in this forum?
LStranger

Post by LStranger »

OST and Manga are too different from anime but AMV aren't - AMVs are still kind of anime but with another audio track. ;)

Anyway, I don't insist on including AMV in common AniDB structure, we could at least create second database almost the same as main AniDB database but for AMV. :)

Number of AMVs is very big - at least some thousands I think. I have almost half of thousand ones and there are much AMVs I don't have and even don't know yet. So it's painful to don't have any database for it at all.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well,

we could think about setting up a new db for that, however i do not plan to implement or list amvs in anidb.
and i'd rather see someone else setting up that amv db as i have enough work with anidb already. (same goes for ost and manga db)

BYe!
EXP
LStranger

Post by LStranger »

exp wrote: and i'd rather see someone else setting up that amv db as i have enough work with anidb already. (same goes for ost and manga db)
If you don't mind, I could try to do that. I have two questions for now:
1. Could you send me sources/structures of AniDB database and functions? You have done great work but it seems I cannot do that from scratch.
2. Could you host that AMV database at http://anidb.net/AMV/ for example? I have a hosting, of course, but I have it at *.kiev.ua so it's not so good.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

LStranger wrote:
exp wrote: and i'd rather see someone else setting up that amv db as i have enough work with anidb already. (same goes for ost and manga db)
If you don't mind, I could try to do that. I have two questions for now:
1. Could you send me sources/structures of AniDB database and functions? You have done great work but it seems I cannot do that from scratch.
2. Could you host that AMV database at http://anidb.net/AMV/ for example? I have a hosting, of course, but I have it at *.kiev.ua so it's not so good.
sorry there.
i am willing to help you out when you need me, however as has been covered in the opensource thread somewhere in this forum already i do not plan to make the anidb sources public as it brings way too many risks for us.
and i also don't think we can be of much help @ hosting.
however we could maybe think about some kind of linking once you have the site running.

BYe!
EXP
LStranger

Post by LStranger »

Heh, I can do nothing then because I have no experience with public databases at all. :cry:
I hoped you would send me something for start with and we could create AMV database. If you don't wish to send at least common code then I'll give up. Sorry I disturbed you.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

LStranger wrote:Heh, I can do nothing then because I have no experience with public databases at all. :cry:
I hoped you would send me something for start with and we could create AMV database. If you don't wish to send at least common code then I'll give up. Sorry I disturbed you.
well, it's prolly easier to start from scratch than to try to use parts of my code in your own system.
another problem is that AniDB is mod_perl based, which is a bitch if you need to find a host. so you might be better off with using something like php which is available everywhere.

BYe!
EXP
LStranger

Post by LStranger »

exp wrote:
LStranger wrote:Heh, I can do nothing then because I have no experience with public databases at all. :cry:
well, it's prolly easier to start from scratch than to try to use parts of my code in your own system.
another problem is that AniDB is mod_perl based, which is a bitch if you need to find a host. so you might be better off with using something like php which is available everywhere.
As I said before I have no experience with public databases. :(
About mod_perl or anything - in any case (or you'll host it eighter me) it's not a problem.
Anyway I have not enough time to develop such big (at least for me since I don't know the point) thing so I have no choise but give up, sorry.