Annoying: Messages [DONE]

AniDB Client Feature Requests go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

Gambit
AniDB Staff

Annoying: Messages [DONE]

Post by Gambit »

Since EXP forces me to do it this way (he didn`t want to hear it on irc, nor by message itself), I`ll have to do it eventually. So here it is.

Whenever you get a message, it keeps notifying you of that new message, no matter where you click on in anidb. So if you click on MyPlace and then Anime Hint, you already have 3 popup windows with 'You have a NEW message!'. Which is definitely overdone :roll:

Anyway, that`s annoying. What`s even more annoying is when you actually have 2 messages, you get 1 popup.
You visit the messages-screen and - what do you know - you get ANOTHER popup to tell you that you have 2 new messages. As if you didn`t notice that whenever you`re in the messages-screen.
Then you click on the message to read it - and (of course) you get a popup with 'You have 1 NEW message'. That`s annoying too.
Now you reply to that message, and - guess what? Exactly, another popup telling you that there is still 1 new message.

I guess this tells enough about the annoyance of this message-system. In short: everywhere you click you get notified. Would be nice if it would only give you a notify whenever you refresh the page after receiving a message, not with every page you visit to get notified.

Now, EXP, work on it, since I`m already pissed off :evil:
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

I second that, the popups are annoying, no matter if they're for messages or new files. How about just replacing the popup with a header bar in the space left of the quick search box? When new file notifies or unread messages are available, put a link or flashing icon into that header. The notification will still be visible on all anidb pages and should instantly catch the user's eye, but there won't be any annoying popups at all.
Iceman[grrrr]

Post by Iceman[grrrr] »

Or just put a warning like Notifies near the Profile button.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

I caught myself to frequently overlook those warnings, tho. A notification icon in the header parts is much more visible, IMO.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

ano,

i think this should already be fixed @ multiple notification windows poping up
though it will open a new window if you close the old one! so just leave the old popup open and it will be replaced with the data every time you click somewhere, that should be acceptable.

and there already is a message+link near the profile button.
actually i always use the neat opera option "only allow requested popups", meaning i don't get any popup untill i click on the message near the profile button :P

BYe!
EXP
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Ha! Admit! How much does Opera pay you for sneak advertising their browser? :mrgreen:

But useless joking aside, I think it's not quite fair to just make those popups popup all the time and declare it the client's task to filter them. At the very least, it would nice to make it a choice in the profile: Besides the "notify by popup" checkbox, add a dropdown to select between auto-popups and manual notification popups.

Apropops... When the "notify by popup" option is off, it tells me in mynotifies that all notifications have been suspended due to my profile settings. Does that mean that if the popup option is off, even the "! x notifies !" link would disappear?
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

exp wrote:i think this should already be fixed @ multiple notification windows poping up though it will open a new window if you close the old one! so just leave the old popup open and it will be replaced with the data every time you click somewhere, that should be acceptable.
I`d prefer that when reminded once (popup), there won`t be any popup for that part anymore. So if I get a popup that I have 3 new messages, I will click on messages to read&reply to them. I don`t think it`s necessary to see another popup when I`m already reading/replying to them, so ... whenever you have seen the popup for the first time, I think the other popups are annoying and it should be sufficient to see that colored link just beside the 'profile' button.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

Elberet wrote:Apropops... When the "notify by popup" option is off, it tells me in mynotifies that all notifications have been suspended due to my profile settings. Does that mean that if the popup option is off, even the "! x notifies !" link would disappear?
yes, maybe that option should be called "enable notifications" :o)
i am not completly sure atm, but i think disabling it will cause all notifications to be discarded for that user.

@gambit
u mean like with notifications, where opening the popup would clear the you have xyz new messages counter?
so if you actually have 3 new messages and get one popup it will not popup any more windows and show you "you have 1 new messages" popup once the next message arrives (even though you haven't read any of those other 3 messages)?

BYe!
EXP
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

exp wrote:@gambit
u mean like with notifications, where opening the popup would clear the you have xyz new messages counter?
so if you actually have 3 new messages and get one popup it will not popup any more windows and show you "you have 1 new messages" popup once the next message arrives (even though you haven't read any of those other 3 messages)?
Well, yes? If you have read 1 out of 3 messages, you don`t need a popup warning you that there are still 2 more left. After all, you have seen that those are there, if you look at your inbox. They are unread, not new, since you have probably seen them in your inbox already. And unread doesn`t mean they are completely new. A little notification just above the profile button would be sufficient after that, no need for a new popup to be shown, unless there is a new one added afterwards.

Also, if you see that you have new messages, people tend to click the popup away, while it pops up again after you want to write a reply (as if you didn`t know - you return to the inbox after sending that reply :evil: )
Just use that popup once. As soon as someone enters the Inbox, it doesn`t need to pop up that box anymore. Instead, adding a notification to the menu is sufficient to me. Might let it blink to make it clearer, if you like.